Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys Very helpful, and thanks so much for taking the time to draw that leg structure out SoSaucy! I've got a day off work (for once) so I'll take all those points into account and experiment some more with the character.

@SoSaucy those life drawings are looking great, definitely submit-able I would say! love the lines on the hips and they're definitely gestural and structural enough.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm kinda on the last stretch to finish the portfolio so I thought I'd put up a bunch of the stuff that I've done so far. If anyone has any favourites (ones they think I should submit) then please tell me! My own opinion on these things has long since vanished after spending so much time on this bloody portfolio.

Layouts/Room drawings:
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/110...and-a-layout-d

Life Drawings:
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/110...an-interesting

Hand action:
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/110...various-angles

Thanks
    Hello there!!
    I'm currently a grade 12 student that just applied to fundies, and is working towards a 2016 portfolio. Just wanted to say that this thread has been so helpful in terms of what to do/what not to do and all of your character designs look so cool! :'D

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chownyp View Post
    I'm kinda on the last stretch to finish the portfolio so I thought I'd put up a bunch of the stuff that I've done so far. If anyone has any favourites (ones they think I should submit) then please tell me! My own opinion on these things has long since vanished after spending so much time on this bloody portfolio.

Layouts/Room drawings:
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/110...and-a-layout-d

Life Drawings:
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/110...an-interesting

Hand action:
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/110...various-angles

Just a few quick notes. Your hands are coming along nicely just keep drawing them and you'll be golden, also with your line quality make it clear where the weight and tension is being held in the hand.

Your object drawing has a good composition but it's lacking volume as you didn't draw through the objects so in general it looks a tad flat, also your ellipses are looking a bit wonky.

As for your room drawings try not to stick to 1 point perspective; ideally both of your room drawings should be in 2 point perspective but at least 1 should suffice. Make sure you are carefully observing the room and ensure you're drawing from life and not from a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by ermadrawsthings View Post
    Hello there!!
    I'm currently a grade 12 student that just applied to fundies, and is working towards a 2016 portfolio. Just wanted to say that this thread has been so helpful in terms of what to do/what not to do and all of your character designs look so cool! :'D
    Welcome to the thread and I wish you good luck on your portfolio next year! Aside from fundies I'd suggest you look into the Animation Portfolio Workshop as it helped me build a portfolio and generally learn how to draw better than fundies ever did, or take both if you have the money.

If you are set on fundies my suggestion is to go to sheridan's extra life session as often as possible. Put your effort on the portfolio versus the class assignments but by all means work hard at both but the portfolio is what will get you into animation not fundies so that's where your focus should be.
    Last edited by piedram; February 5th, 2015 at 12:42 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to piedram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by piedram View Post
    Just a few quick notes. Your hands are coming along nicely just keep drawing them and you'll be golden, also with your line quality make it clear where the weight and tension is being held in the hand.
    Thanks for the advice Piedram, could you elaborate on using the line to show the tension? Not really sure how that would work

Also, I was thinking about how the guidelines say that 3 of the life drawings (animal and human) should show movement and 2 show stillness. Is this strictly enforced or not because I'm pretty sure I've seen loads of portfolios that didn't adhere to this and still got accepted.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice Piedram, could you elaborate on using the line to show the tension? Not really sure how that would work

Also, I was thinking about how the guidelines say that 3 of the life drawings (animal and human) should show movement and 2 show stillness. Is this strictly enforced or not because I'm pretty sure I've seen loads of portfolios that didn't adhere to this and still got accepted.
    Mainly just to emphasize where the energy in the motion is, so for the first drawing the hand is drawn back about to throw the dart there's tension in the wrist as it extended backward anticipating the throw; you should draw the tendon in the wrist that should be visible in this pose. Mainly Just think about the action itself and where the energy is. I hope that was clear enough and one more thing make sure to include the dart in the 2nd drawing.

I've also noticed that myself and it seems what they consider movement is pretty broad.
    Last edited by piedram; February 5th, 2015 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks
    I hope that was clear enough and one more thing make sure to include the dart in the 2nd drawing.
    Thanks again Piedram, that's definitely clearer, I'll go back to the drawing and add some more lines. Also thanks for reminding me about the dart, wasn't sure if that was necessary as it seems pretty obvious but I guess if they like that then I'll put it in.

I've put up my second attempt at the storyboard here if anyone fancies taking a shot at critiquing it I would be very grateful.

http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/110...d-for-sheridan

Thanks
    Welcome to the thread and I wish you good luck on your portfolio next year! Aside from fundies I'd suggest you look into the Animation Portfolio Workshop as it helped me build a portfolio and generally learn how to draw better than fundies ever did, or take both if you have the money.

If you are set on fundies my suggestion is to go to sheridan's extra life session as often as possible. Put your effort on the portfolio versus the class assignments but by all means work hard at both but the portfolio is what will get you into animation not fundies so that's where your focus should be.
    Thank you! I've started life drawing already (but only from images as there aren't many classes around here) and probably can't afford the portfolio workshop. However, I'm in one of those 'high skills major' programs in Ontario schools that focuses on art and I could ask if they're doing any more drawing related seminars! Also, in terms of the personal artwork section, what are pieces to avoid? Online media is obviously a no-no, but is there anything else to steer away from?

Thanks
    Yes, you absolutely have to follow all of the instructions. By movement they don't necessarily mean something running or doing something extremely active: Life drawings that show movement could simply be the figure taking a step forward, or in a still pose that shows gestural movement (does that make sense?) like the anticipation of an action. I found it easier to do the 2 still drawings with animals, and do the movement drawings with humans. (animals are easy to catch sleeping)

Thanks
    Hi everyone! I haven't posted on here lately, but I love seeing everyone's comments.
    My sister just paid and dropped off my portfolio today, so now I just have to wait! I hope everyone's doing well with their portfolios

Thanks
    Sorry for spamming the thread but I've put up a layout bit here and would love some comments if anyone has the time.

http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/110...ts-d-so-boring

Thanks
    Hey! What day did you guys sign up for portfolio drop off? I've been getting a lot of warnings about submitting on the last day. haha how true are those rumors ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jesshop View Post
    Yes, you absolutely have to follow all of the instructions. By movement they don't necessarily mean something running or doing something extremely active: Life drawings that show movement could simply be the figure taking a step forward, or in a still pose that shows gestural movement (does that make sense?) like the anticipation of an action. I found it easier to do the 2 still drawings with animals, and do the movement drawings with humans. (animals are easy to catch sleeping)
    Ah okay, thanks Jesshop I think I see what you mean, I agree with you about the animals being easier to do still. I can only draw my cats when they're asleep or just being super lazy, otherwise they won't stop moving and walking on my paper.

Thanks
    Hi guys!
    I was just wondering if anyone knows the/ or where I can find the payments details to Sheridan? To pay the portfolio fee? I'm an international student so I'm going to have to transfer the money to them, I've sent them an email but I'm a little anxious about the deadline coming up and the money not getting there in time!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    I am mailing in my portfolio so does the portfolio submissions sheet have to be taped to the front of the portfolio or do I put it in the first page of the portfolio? They tell the people who are bringing it in person that they should place the sheet on the outside of the portfolio but they don't give instructions where to put the sheet for the people who have to mail it.
    Visit my website! sosaucy.deviantart.com

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast