Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    How do you rotate your characters accurately? Does anyone know any good videos or articles on this topic because I can't seem to wrap my head around it. I drew a few characters and their rotations but they just don't look right. (Rough sketches) Also, could I get a critique on my rough storyboard and room drawings? 2015 - Sheridan College Animation Hopefuls«2015 - Sheridan College Animation Hopefuls2015 - Sheridan College Animation Hopefuls2015 - Sheridan College Animation Hopefuls2015 - Sheridan College Animation Hopefuls
    still need to go over these lines with a blue pencil to add the details like i did with the other one. Both of these room drawings are going to be detailed even more with a regular hb pencil. Does this drawing show enough construction or should i work on that?
    2015 - Sheridan College Animation Hopefuls
    I feel like I butchered the perspective here... lol
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by SoSaucy; January 13th, 2015 at 05:09 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The hand looks really good but the one conflict I have with it is that I can't really tell what's going on. Is the hand holding an eraser and then throwing it in the second picture? Not sure... Just be sure that you really capture the essence of the action. Otherwise, I think your hand drawings are well on their way to being successful!!
    Visit my website! sosaucy.deviantart.com

Thanks
    I have a question about Sheridan's admissions. Do they look at your attendance mark and if they do, does it affect their decision? I have missed a lot of school this semester, probably over 20 days, some not excused. My grades don't reflect this at all as I have maintained an overall 87% average this semester so far. Lately, I've been staying home to work on my portfolio and focus since I work 6 days a week and don't have any other time to do other than after work which is at 9:30 pm everyday.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback Piedram and SoSaucy! They are just studies so aren't meant to be showing an action.

I'm not really sure about the admissions process to be honest, I'm in the same boat as you at the moment working 5-6 days a week and then drawing non-stop when I get home. Your rotations look great to me but I'm probably not qualified to critique that at the moment .

Just put up a first (very rough) draft for the storyboard, probably one of my most unsure parts of the portfolio so would love some help and advice.

http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/107980737044

Thanks
    Oh I see!! Good studies then

The one obvious problem I see with your storyboards is the anatomy of Bagel. You have to make sure that your Bagel looks identical to the Bagel drawing they provided. Search up some pictures of Basset hounds and look at how they move and their anatomy. Otherwise, the composition is good because your eye is lead to the important aspects of the drawing. I would suggest trying again and really nailing the structure and proportion. You're on the right track, just keep practicing and looking at other accepted applicant's storyboards.
    Visit my website! sosaucy.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoSaucy View Post
    I have a question about Sheridan's admissions. Do they look at your attendance mark and if they do, does it affect their decision? I have missed a lot of school this semester, probably over 20 days, some not excused. My grades don't reflect this at all as I have maintained an overall 87% average this semester so far. Lately, I've been staying home to work on my portfolio and focus since I work 6 days a week and don't have any other time to do other than after work which is at 9:30 pm everyday.
    They don't care about that as long as you fulfil these requirements:
    • English, Grade 12 (ENG4U)

plus

• One senior-level Visual Arts credit at the M, or Open Level
    • Four other Grade 12 subjects at the U or M level
    • Minimum 65% overall average

or

• Two semesters of postsecondary education including required courses with a minimum 65% overall average
    Your grades will have no effect on the portfolio.

Thanks
    @SoSaucy I see you added in a few more things. I really like this turtle character and in my opinion you should develop this further instead of that monster character as this one has a better overall design and appeal. I don't see any problems with your attempts at rotation, if it helps and if you have any sculpty or any plasticine like material make a basic model of your character as a reference for your rotation.

Your room drawings have enough understructure, I don't see an issue

As for the objects the perspective is skewed pretty bad mostly in the sandwich, which looks like it's floating. When doing the object drawings don't try and force the objects into perspective merely look at the setup you've assembled and just draw them from observation.

Regarding storyboards I've seen you both chosen bagel, nothing wrong with that but if you'd rather made it easier on yourself earl definitely is the easier one to draw; but bagel can do done with a bit for effort. The best way to make sure they match the drawing sheridan has provided is using that sample break down the character you chose into as many basic shapes and possible.

Thanks
    Oh wow I thought we had to use one or two point perspective with our object drawings, good to know!! I agree with your opinion on the character, I like this one far better. Thanks for the tips! You are applying this year too?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoSaucy View Post
    Oh wow I thought we had to use one or two point perspective with our object drawings, good to know!! I agree with your opinion on the character, I like this one far better. Thanks for the tips! You are applying this year too?
    Yep, second time trying to get in.

Thanks
    Do any of you guys live in Toronto and know where to go for life drawing??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine1 View Post
    Do any of you guys live in Toronto and know where to go for life drawing??
    OCAD has open life drawing sessions:
    http://www.ocadu.ca/alumni/alumni-as...g-sessions.htm

Thanks
    @Lorraine1

OCAD university offers life drawing classes that are open to the public! Here's a link to their website with all the information http://www.ocadu.ca/alumni/alumni-as...g-sessions.htm
    If their dates don't suit your schedule then I'm sure Toronto has a bunch of other life drawing places~ Just google "Toronto life drawing" and I'm sure you'll be able to find more ^^

Thanks
    Hey all! I was wondering if you guys knew if, on the Personal section of the portfolio, it states that "No video or digital media will be reviewed." Does that mean we can't print out digital paintings (made in Photoshop, etc) and include it as part of the portfolio? Or do they strictly view traditional media such as drawings and paintings on paper/board/canvas? I'm applying as an international student, so everything's going to be reproduced as 8.5x11 anyway.

Thanks
    @keta @Oshimizu thankssss! do you guys go to the OCAD sessions???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by prollygon View Post
    Hey all! I was wondering if you guys knew if, on the Personal section of the portfolio, it states that "No video or digital media will be reviewed." Does that mean we can't print out digital paintings (made in Photoshop, etc) and include it as part of the portfolio? Or do they strictly view traditional media such as drawings and paintings on paper/board/canvas? I'm applying as an international student, so everything's going to be reproduced as 8.5x11 anyway.
    Hey there Prollygon,

Basically that means that you can't submit anything that needs to be viewed digitally (i.e on a computer). This means that you can still submit digital pieces as long as you print them off onto paper and put it in your portfolio. Basically no links to videos or web pages.

Hope that helps!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast