Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PokoPoko View Post
    Welcome Piedram!

Great to see another fellow animation portfolio workshop-er xD ! Are you a part of the recent winter session? And I have to agree with you and definitely recommend the workshop to anyone who does not manage to get into Sheridan this year. I got pretty close to getting in last year, but now I'm glad I didn't! The workshop has literally been the best drawing experience I have had in my entire life. I have never learned so much in such a short amount of time, from such wonderful instructors too! If I had gotten in last year, then I would definitely be struggling to survive at the bottom of the barrel. But by the time the workshop is over I'll be ready for anything Sheridan or Seneca has to throw at me!
    I'm in the first session this year; the one that started back in May. I completely agree without the things I've learned from the workshop I'd seriously be struggling at Sheridan plus I don't want to be one of those students that just coasts by I want to do well in that program.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice Boostle,
    I think you're totally right, I seem to naturally add that really thick line weight so I'll try and get away from that to give the drawings a bit more life.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boostle View Post
    As of now I'm just trying to get some practice in while doing school assignments. But my winter break is basically the entirety of December, so I'm going to be trying to finish my entire portfolio in one month. I'm just really stressed about trying to juggle assignments from my current program as well as working on portfolio work. But thankfully some of my pieces I've done at ACAD I can use for the personal portion of the portfolio.

How are you guys getting access to nude models? Our school used to provide free life drawing classes but there's been budget cuts so they're aren't available any more. I'm in a bit of a bind. Any suggestions?
    See if your city has some kind of arts centre and find out if they run life drawing sessions, that would probably be your best bet. You would have to pay per session but it shouldn't run that high I usually pay about $10 per session for mine.

Thanks
    Has anyone got any tips for what medium they use for life drawing? I've been experimenting with different stuff: Crayon/Charcoal/Pencil etc just wondering what other people find useful to capture dynamic lines yet keep it relatively clean looking?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chownyp View Post
    Has anyone got any tips for what medium they use for life drawing? I've been experimenting with different stuff: Crayon/Charcoal/Pencil etc just wondering what other people find useful to capture dynamic lines yet keep it relatively clean looking?
    I prefered laundry marker: it gives you strong black lines with some variety if you shape it as a chisel. For modelling it is pretty useless, but in Animation the emphasis is on linework.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Hey guys,

Thought I would say hello. I'm currently in the Animation Portfolio Workshop in Toronto, I dropped out of OCAD so I can focus all my energy on this portfolio hah.
    Hopefully I should get around to posting some of the stuff I'm up to in the coming weeks.

cheers.

Thanks
    Don't use pencil it's way too light, and charcoal is very messy. Use black conte, HB preferably or at most 2B. We don't use anything else for the first year pretty much. It has the most variety in darkness and line quality, and it applies smoothly to newsprint. Get in the habit, it will help!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jesshop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/102...nights-session

Hey again people,

There are some more examples of my life-drawings here, I think I'm improving but not quite sure if I'm focusing on the right things or not so any more feedback would be awesome.
    What I would really like to see you do is some 30 second-5minute drawings. I'm really liking the fact that you are staying in proportion well, and it seems like you've trained yourself pretty well to draw using negative spaces and the relationship between parts of the body. Your work still feels stiff though which is why I'm recommending some more gesture drawing. Also, Boostle made a good point with the harsh, dark lines. Try not to get into the mode where you're just outlining things or else your work will look flat. Give your lines some sensitivity and vary the line weight by making things that are farthest away lighter, while making the stuff that's coming towards you darker. We can also talk about structure and giving your figures some more solidity later.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PokoPoko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Boostle,

I would really try to find a place in your city where they offer live figure drawing because nothing beats the real thing. Plus, it's great practice for when you're in animation school~

Definitely look for something that's around $10 (I try to go twice a week and pay $10 each time)

Perhaps you could also get people to pose for you (clothed)?

Cafe sketching is also nice.

But using pictures online is fine if you cannot work anything out for now

Figure Drawing Tools Online:

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/

http://www.quickposes.com/

http://reference.sketchdaily.net/

http://www.posemaniacs.com/

http://www.onairvideo.com/croquis-cafe-photos.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by piedram View Post
    I'm in the first session this year; the one that started back in May. I completely agree without the things I've learned from the workshop I'd seriously be struggling at Sheridan plus I don't want to be one of those students that just coasts by I want to do well in that program.
    Haha great! Now I just need to figure out if you're in the upstairs class or the downstairs class xD (I'm in the upstairs class btw) Exactly, it would be pointless to waste all that money and time to just crawl on through. It's better to have a strong background in drawing fundamentals. After all, it's important to remember that we are going to school to learn AND hopefully get into the industry afterwards.

Thanks
    Hi guys

I didn't get in last year, and i've decided now that I want to try again. I posted my unsuccessful portfolio on the thread last year but i guess it got lost in the flood of posts. Anyways, I was hoping for some critique! especially on my layout drawings.

http://eudorasartstuff.blogspot.ca/2...olio-2014.html

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks
    Hey again everyone, I've got some more life drawings here. Have tried to take on everyone's advice so I think I'm freeing myself up a bit and working a bit more gesturally. Tell me what you think

http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/104791618274

Thanks
    Hi everyone! I'm a 2015 Sheridan hopeful from Canada, and I just wanted to say that you guys have been so helpful and nice. I found this forum a little while ago and it's kinda a shame that it hasn't been updated in a little while.
    I'm almost done with my portfolio (I just have the room drawings to do) but I'm not so confident in some parts of it. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to look at my life drawing and give it some critiques?

Thanks

Fall 2015 hopeful

Hi guys,
    I am from India and a high school student applying for animation program for fall term.
    REALLY EXCITED to meet new artists like me.
    I have completed my portfolio and applied to program around a week ago.
    I am feeling really awkward coz one of my friend is applying for this program and we get into small debates about whos the best and such sort of things but I am really happy that he is as keen in art as he i am.
    I will be uploading some stuff lately like my personal artwork that i will include in portfolio.
    I had one concern that i haven't received those characters and storyboard panel as they told.
    Help and thanks for creating such forum.

Thanks
    I need help with my portfolio, is there anyone willing to help me one on one? I'm pretty confident when it comes to the character design position and storyboards but when it comes to the room drawings and object drawing, I struggle immensely. I am not sure whether my hand drawings and life drawings meet the standard yet..

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast