View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2015 - Sheridan College Animation Hopefuls

Introduction

( Click to show/hide )

Hello everybody! I figured it was time to start up the thread for this year's Animation Hopefuls! To keep things short and sweet: this is a thread full of crazy artists who are trying to help each other get into a school full of even more crazy artists~ In all seriousness, though, Sheridan's Animation program is a world renowned and intensely vigorous four year Bachelor's Degree Program. And graduates have gone on to hold animation careers at some of the most prestigious studios from Pixar to Studio Ghibli to Dreamworks, etc. As a result, Sheridan "prides itself" for having arguably the most demanding portfolio requirements from any animation school around the world. This thread is dedicated to helping all those animation hopefuls from all corners of the planet get into the animation school of their dreams!

How do I get into Sheridan's Animation Program?

( Click to show/hide )

All the program details, admission requirements, and domestic and international program fees are described in fair detail on the Sheridan website:

Sheridan: Bachelor of Animation Website

But to summarize everything in a nutshell: Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, including these required courses:

• English, Grade 12 (ENG4U)

plus

• One senior-level Visual Arts credit at the M, or Open Level
    • Four other Grade 12 subjects at the U or M level
    • Minimum 65% overall average

or

• Two semesters of post-secondary education including required courses with a minimum 65% overall average

AND

• A successful portfolio meeting the minimum score for admission

How much will it cost me to study animation at Sheridan?

( Click to show/hide )

The program itself:

• $9,356.0 per year for domestic students
    • $24,729.05 per year for international students (I'm sorry. It's unfair, I know)

Living on campus:

• $6,850.00 from August 31st to April 18th (full academic year)

this equates to

• 978.6 per month (rent is paid all at once in either one or two payments NOT on a per month basis)

NOTE: STUDENTS LIVING ON CAMPUS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO LIVE ON CAMPUS DURING THE WINTER BREAK IN DECEMBER AND AFTER THE FINAL DAY OF CLASSES (APRIL 18TH)

• An extra $200 fee will apply if you wish to stay during the winter break

I just wanted to mention how much it would cost to live on campus per month since many people might decide that they will want to on their own, with family, or with roommates in the apartments and flats around the Oakville area. Therefore, I wanted to put the cost of paying rent per month into perspective.

All the residential living costs can be found on the official Sheridan Residence Website for the Trafalgar campus:

Sheridan Residence: Trafalgar Website

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

( Click to show/hide )

How does the marking work?

According to the coordinator, 8 different people, specializing in each section, look and evaluate your portfolio. So there are no 'hard' markers or 'easy' markers. All 8 of them are trouncing through your portfolio. So to break this down further, there are professors who specialize in storyboard that look at your storyboards, there are professors that specialize in characters, that look at your characters, etc, etc. And at the end, all 8 look at your personal section.

How many available spots are there?

150 as of year 2013.

How many applicants are they expecting?

It varies, but they normally get over 1000.

International students.

They only have room for 25.
    International is OUTSIDE Canada. Provinces outside Ontario don't count.

When will I hear about my acceptance/rejection?

If you're accepted
    You'll hear it first in your Sheridan Email. from March 25th-April 1.
    If you're inside Toronto, you should expect the acceptance package April 1st-4th (there are a few anomalies though, so don't fret too much)

If you're rejected.
    You wont hear about it in your Sheridan email, you'll see it in the applicant status sub-menu around march 25th-April 1. You can find out if you're wait-listed or outright rejected, here.

Or you'll receive a letter April 1-5th (inside Toronto) about it.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING LINK IS QUOTE: "An informal blog set up by some Sheridan animation kids to help answer your questions!!" I recommend that everybody follows this blog regularly for any questions or concerns you might have about the Animation Portfolio process or about Sheridan in general! It is run by animation students who are currently studying at Sheridan and who are quite capable of answering 'most' of your questions!

Sheridan Animation Tumblr Ask Page

Important Dates

( Click to show/hide )

November 8th National Portfolio Day (Confirmed) (Source)
    November 15th Sheridan Open House/Portfolio Day (Confirmed) (Source)
    February 1st Due date for Application through OCAS for equal consideration
    February 14, 2013. Due Date for Mailing in Animation Portfolio (Must have a time stamp no later than this date)
    February 24-27th Animation Portfolio Submission due dates (In Person)
    March 1st Last Day to Secure a Spot at Trafalgar Residence

Art Books Recommendations

( Click to show/hide )

All of these book can be bought of Amazon, (which is where I purchased all of these books gradually over the span of two years) however, I am not going to judge whatever means you might use to legitimately or illegitimately acquire these books if you so wish to have them.

1. Force : Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators (Michael Mattesi)
    2. Force : Animal Locomotion and Design Concepts for Animators (Michael Mattesi)
    3. Figure Drawing: Design and Invention (Michael Hampton)
    4. Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life (George B. Bridgeman)
    5. The Natural Way to Draw (Kimon Nicolaides)
    6. The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head (William L. Maughan)
    7. Perspective Made Easy (Ernest R. Norling)
    8. Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers (Marcos Mateu-Mestre)
    9. Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter (James Gurney)
    10. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Betty Edwards)
    11. Layout and Composition for Animation (Ed Ghertner)
    12. Anatomy for the Artist (Jeno Barcsay)

The Portfolio Requirements

( Click to show/hide )

The link below will take you directly to the 2014-15 Applicant Information that will describe all of the components of the portfolio in detail:

Sheridan: Bachelor of Animation Portfolio Requirements

To briefly give you an idea of what to expect, the portfolio is broken down into five different sections:

1. Life Drawing
    (16 Marks Total)

• Figure Drawings (5 Marks)
    • Animal Drawings (5 Marks)
    • Hand Drawings (6 Marks)

2. Animation and Character Design (21 Marks Total)

• Original Character Rotation (Must Design an Original Character) (5 Marks)
    • Action Poses Sheets (8 Marks)
    • Expression Sheet (8 Marks)

3. Storyboarding (9 Marks Total)

• Four Panel Narrative (Using the Character Provided by Sheridan) (9 Marks)

4. Layout (14 Marks Total)

• Household Objects (8 Marks)
    • Room Line Drawings (6 Marks)

5. Personal Artwork (2 Marks Total)

• Five Pieces of your Personal Artwork (Best shows your artistic abilities, versatility, and thought process)

NOTE: ONLY AFTER APPLYING TO OCAS AND GETTING YOUR ACCESS SHERIDAN ACCOUNT WILL YOU RECEIVE THE CHARACTER PROVIDED BY SHERIDAN FOR THE THIRD COMPONENT OF THE PORTFOLIO.

The marks beside each of the categorizes and requirements just shows how heavily each of the categories is weighted. Each piece is equally as important, however, some pieces (as shown above) cover more evaluation criteria and as a result, yield more potential marks. I thought it was something worth considering when trying to decide how much time should be spent on each piece.

Conclusion

( Click to show/hide )

At the end of the day, there is practically an infinite amount of information available to us. Therefore, I propose that we make use of this plethora of resources. Not only that, I believe it is important that we all share the wisdom and experience we have learning in order to help one another improve and to ultimately reach our goal: attending Sheridan! I have only touched the surface of all the potential information and knowledge I have to provide and I hope you all have the same desire as I do to help each other grow and mature as budding animators. Thank you for reading and remember to never stop drawing! Good luck and I look forward to speaking and potentially seeing you all one day in the halls of Sheridan.

Last edited by PokoPoko; September 5th, 2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hellooooooo
    has anyone started their portfolios yet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Curly!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I thought nobody was ever going to reply to this thread and we wouldn't have a hopefuls thread this year (which would be really sad because it's kind of become a tradition now).

I hope you remember me from last year's hopefuls because I certainly remember you :3

Being in the Animation Portfolio Workshop, I've kinda prepared a whole bunch of 'potential portfolio pieces,' but probably won't use them for the actually portfolio x3 Because what happens is we basically choose our best pieces that we've done all the way up to when portfolios are due. So for now I'm going to keep learning and then choose my best ones from a pile of life drawings, character designs, layouts, etc.

It would be a great idea to post our stuff here as we progress over the next few months. That way, we can all give each other advice and critiques. Having more than one set of eyes look at our work is always helpful~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... does that mean you have to submit your portfolio in person in Feb? Even for people outside Canada? I'm Australian and is thinking of applying for this. The Feb submission is for the 2015 September start right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyliss View Post
    So... does that mean you have to submit your portfolio in person in Feb? Even for people outside Canada? I'm Australian and is thinking of applying for this. The Feb submission is for the 2015 September start right?
    (NOTE: THESE ARE LAST YEAR'S EVALUATIONS DATES NOT THIS YEAR'S!!)

For applicants living WITHIN 80km of Sheridan: Portfolio evaluations will be held at Sheridan from Feb 24th - Feb 27th

For applicants living MORE than 80km from Sheridan: Forward your photocopied portfolio, by courier, courier-stamped no later than Feb 14th. All work must be photocopied onto 8.5''x11'' paper. They will not be returned.

So you would be mailing in your portfolio, Vyliss, since you are an international student. And yup, the February submission is for the 2015 September start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PokoPoko View Post
    (NOTE: THESE ARE LAST YEAR'S EVALUATIONS DATES NOT THIS YEAR'S!!)

For applicants living WITHIN 80km of Sheridan: Portfolio evaluations will be held at Sheridan from Feb 24th - Feb 27th

For applicants living MORE than 80km from Sheridan: Forward your photocopied portfolio, by courier, courier-stamped no later than Feb 14th. All work must be photocopied onto 8.5''x11'' paper. They will not be returned.

So you would be mailing in your portfolio, Vyliss, since you are an international student. And yup, the February submission is for the 2015 September start.
    Ohhh ok, is 8.5''x11'' A4 size? lol Silly question I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you happen to know the dates for this year?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohhh ok, is 8.5''x11'' A4 size? lol Silly question I know.
    Well I had to search it on Google so I wouldn't say it was a silly question xD

A4 (8.27 × 11.7) is more or less 8.5 x 11 paper. I mean, it's not exact.

But I doubt the professors are going to notice the slight difference and would never dock marks even if they did.

Do you happen to know the dates for this year?
    I haven't gotten any word yet about the dates but I'll let you know as soon as I hear them!

You can rest assure that they will probably be quite close to the dates last year though (to give you an idea ahead of time).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my gosh hello hi yes please come and be my fellow kangaroo up here in the north
    (ok but seriously if you need any help with study permits or anything, just letting you know that there's another Australian here who made it last year!)

And to everyone else - all the best :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Everyone,

This is my first year applying to Sheridan (from England). So can we post pics of our portfolios and stuff on this thread for help/advice/encouragement?
    Just wondering

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chownyp View Post
    Hey Everyone,

This is my first year applying to Sheridan (from England). So can we post pics of our portfolios and stuff on this thread for help/advice/encouragement?
    Just wondering
    Welcome chownyp!

Greetings all the way from Canada~ I'm glad you found this forum, and yes, please do feel free to post pictures of your portfolio pieces. I'm sure we're all glad to provide support and help in whatever way possible! We're all in this together so don't be shy to give a holler if you need anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply PokoPoko!

I've been working mainly on the character portion recently because I think that's probably my weakest area. Here's a sheet of emotions with a character I've been working with, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I added a couple room drawings and a life drawing as well to see what people think.

Attachment 2056048
    Attachment 2056050Name:  IMG_7147.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  692.0 KB
    Attachment 2056055Attachment 2056056

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pictures didn't upload properly on the last post so here's the rest.

Name:  IMG_7149.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  1,017.6 KBName:  IMG_7150.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  1.07 MBName:  IMG_7146.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  749.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for being patient Chownyp,

So let's start with your life drawing. I have one major recommendation:

GESTURE. GESTURE. GESTURE!

If you are not already familiar with this concept then I would recommend you watch this series of videos:

Proko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4

Vilpu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_2rL1K1mg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqxCEafxeI

Matt (from DTO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrGnMar2pAI

Also, drawing from LIFE is VERY important! Photos are nice but nothing beats observation from the real thing. I'm noticing you've got some nice contours and a general sense of anatomy and proportions. However, your drawing is quite stiff for a couple of reasons: one, you're not feeling a gesture through the entire pose and two, you're going over your drawing with a stiff scratchy line that is NOT what you want. You'll get much better line quality by using your arm and trying to simplify your lines into big strokes. C curves, S curves, and straights are very important!

I'll talk about your character design and room drawings once I get another moment to rest. I've got to go to work now (they've been working me like a dog this week haha)

Keep drawing~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=PokoPoko;3883004]Thank you for being patient Chownyp,

So let's start with your life drawing. I have one major recommendation:

GESTURE. GESTURE. GESTURE!

Hey PokoPoko, thank you so much for taking the time to reply that's definitely good advice. I've got another life-drawing session today so I'll try and follow those guidelines and see what comes out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're very welcome chownyp!

Definitely give it some time to develop your gesture drawing skills. It's not something that can develop in just a week or two so don't feel discouraged if you don't see direct improvements right away.

As for your character designs, I'm going to be very blunt and personally recommend you do not use a character design that exactly parallels human anatomy. And I say this to a lot of my friends and personally follow this advice myself: you've got to understand human anatomy really well to draw a human character. And I feel like the Sheridan profs would really hammer you on each mistake since they're all so keen on their human anatomy. With a human character, you're putting yourself in a box. There's a certain expectation to what a human character must look like in terms of anatomy and proportion. Whereas, with doing a cartoony character that couldn't really exist in real life, there is much more freedom to kind of stretch the character and push the limits. Nobody can tell you that your character is off proportion or unrealistic, per se, because it's yours; you designed the character! As long as you keep the character consistent, looking natural, and follow some kind of physics, then you're golden.

As always, take what I say with a grain of salt, and don't think of it as the end all be all. It's just my opinion and thoughts (2am ramblings haha) on the subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again PokoPoko,

I thought that might be the case regarding character designs, it would definitely make it easier on yourself if it was a character that didn't have to stick to a strict guideline. I guess I just started with a human character for the first draft to get into the feel of the assignment. I'll be coming up with some more over time so I'll put anything up on here that I think are worthy!

Thanks again for your continued help It's much appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone!
    I'm from Mexico but I'm studying ESL in Sheridan right now as my english level is not very good, pff haha.
    Anyway, I'm applying for Animation next year so I was hoping I could get some help from these forums ´v`;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

Toyed with the idea of going to Sheridan for basically forever but ended up deciding to settle for ACAD, the art school in Calgary. After attending the school for this past semester I decided I wanted to get an actual education so I'm getting my butt in gear and starting my portfolio for Sheridan! I'm excited to get started!
    Good luck to everyone!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also hailing from Canada here happy to see this thread with some life in it. I'm currently taking the Animation portfolio workshop, which is spectacular and something to consider for those who may not get in this year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/102...nights-session

Hey again people,

There are some more examples of my life-drawings here, I think I'm improving but not quite sure if I'm focusing on the right things or not so any more feedback would be awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm surprised there's so little posts in this years thread compared to last years
    How are all your portfolio's going?
    Any highschoolers here? College/Uni? Portfolio workshop kids?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chownyp,

So let's talk about your room drawings first. Your second room drawing is definitely a lot stronger than your first. I'm glad that it looks like you're using a ruler for the second one! Definitely use a ruler for your straight lines! (It's not cheating and even though it says not to use them in the portfolio requirements, the profs don't care). I used a ruler for mine last year and got almost straight 4's. I even showed the profs my new ones at this year's portfolio review day and they loved them!

Just a few tips:

With two point perspective, keep both vanishing points off the page.

Everything that is above the horizon line, you will see the bottom plane but not the top plane.

Everything that is below the horizon line, you will see the top plane but not the bottom plane.

Vanishing points should be on the horizon line (your horizon line looks too low in your second drawing)

Use a ruler for straight lines and try to simplify things into straight and boxy objects.

Demonstrate that you understand how to create ellipses in perspective (circles in perspective).

Use a perspective grid and make sure all of your lines connect to a vanishing point according to which perspective you're using :

Keep drawing~

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome Mixolo!

I hope your studies are going well at Sheridan and that you are enjoying your time in Canada~ You can definitely get some help and advice from this forum! That's what we're here for! Give us a shout

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome Boostle!

I'm glad you've found the passion and the dedication to apply to a school like Sheridan! You've already done the first step by making this big decision. I wish you the best of luck! Don't hesitate to ask for any advice or help if you find yourself struggling with anything!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome Piedram!

Great to see another fellow animation portfolio workshop-er xD ! Are you a part of the recent winter session? And I have to agree with you and definitely recommend the workshop to anyone who does not manage to get into Sheridan this year. I got pretty close to getting in last year, but now I'm glad I didn't! The workshop has literally been the best drawing experience I have had in my entire life. I have never learned so much in such a short amount of time, from such wonderful instructors too! If I had gotten in last year, then I would definitely be struggling to survive at the bottom of the barrel. But by the time the workshop is over I'll be ready for anything Sheridan or Seneca has to throw at me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Curlyfries,

It's been a little slow as of late but I have a feeling things will start to really pick up soon! I'm sure everyone has been very busy putting their portfolios together and not procrastinating, rightttttttttt?

Haha but anyways me and Piedram are portfolio workshop kids and it looks like Boostle is coming from ACAD in Calgary! Not sure about everyone else though~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I'm in my grade 12 year of high school and I'm planning on getting into the animation program of Sheridan. I took APW when I was in grade 11 and I took a perspective class at Sheridan over the summer and currently taking 5 classes a week to work on my portfolio. I have my hand , object, room done and am currently working on my personal work and animal drawing. Thinking about posting them later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chownyp View Post
    http://chowny123.tumblr.com/post/102...nights-session

Hey again people,

There are some more examples of my life-drawings here, I think I'm improving but not quite sure if I'm focusing on the right things or not so any more feedback would be awesome.
    Overall its pretty good, the proportions are good as well as overall structure. I think at this point its just about playing with line weight and trying to create a more dynamic drawing because right now the hard lines make your figures really stiff.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to boostle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As of now I'm just trying to get some practice in while doing school assignments. But my winter break is basically the entirety of December, so I'm going to be trying to finish my entire portfolio in one month. I'm just really stressed about trying to juggle assignments from my current program as well as working on portfolio work. But thankfully some of my pieces I've done at ACAD I can use for the personal portion of the portfolio.

How are you guys getting access to nude models? Our school used to provide free life drawing classes but there's been budget cuts so they're aren't available any more. I'm in a bit of a bind. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook