Am I ready to work as an artist?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Am I ready to work as an artist?

Hi, my name is Helio, and i'm having big problems. I mean, a big problem. I dont know how good I am, and if i'm really ready to start to get comissions. I'll show you some artwork, it's a manga-style, black and white, its from my next manga. It's all related with it, sorry about that, but i dont have more drawings i can show right now. But i believe its enought to see how is my work.

If possible, give me a rank from 0 to 8.
    I want to know everything, be honest. What are my biggest flaws, what i must do better, and every single tips that you guys have.
    That's it, thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1623507_276879659175883_7739820375183366018_n.png 
Views:	256 
Size:	456.4 KB 
ID:	2014506

Name:	936068_269673263229856_4158669915380227603_n.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	2014505

Name:	10463806_277981145732401_7664136327617125067_o.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	2014507

Name:	10568967_276092375921278_508366839261501941_n.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	2014508

Name:	DamnatusCopy of.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	2014509

Name:	1609678_202350903295426_700522499_n.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	2014510

Name:	DamnatusCopy of.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	752.5 KB 
ID:	2014511

Sorry about the language in this one.
    Well, thats it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, a few of the figures are decent but most of them are very stiff and lack any sign of dynamic.
    The pose of the character holding the shild is unnatural, just try to reinact how he stands and you'll see that this is not the way you'd position yourself when holding shield and sword. It looks like you placed mannequins rather than thinking of a pose.

The shield-guy panel and the panel before shows rain but the characters are absolutely unaffected by it. I see no change in shading and light reflection that a certain amount of moisture would cause. Which brings me to my next point: lightning. I have the feeling that you can only draw characters in one lightning condiction, which is light coming from behind the character.
    The characters also seem to be void of any facial expression aside from apathy and slight frowning.
    I also noticed the lack of interesting environments and when present, the poor execution of them. I mean the beach-rock scene. It took me some time to realise what everything was supposed to be which was mainly due to the random rendering and the pointy waves of the ocean.
    And last: composition. Every character is placed in the same dull way. There are no interesting poses, no extreme positioning of the viewpoint ect. They may be turned differently but they all look like we are standing right in front of them, which is a very boring thing to look at since we are accustomed to seeing people like this.

And for the manga-style. It is beyond me why you would choose to copy a style instead of being original and developing a personal distinct look of your art. There is nothing wrong with manga in general but if you imitate a inflationary used style like this you'll have nothing to stick out. And this doesn't apply only to drawing style but the story you want to tell as well. I see generic fighter type of characters and, judging from the panels you shared, a similar dull story.
    If you want to create something original i'd suggest to put aside the manga style and study the fundamentals. After that you can still going on copying the style, but with the knowledge of composition, light & shadow, figure dynamics it will probably look a lot better.
    If you decide to do that, here you'll find some fine literature on learning said basic fundamentals: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...s-Reading-List

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think that there is such thing as "ready" or "not ready" for commission work. If somebody sees your work and agrees to work with you, when it means your skills are enough for his requirements.

One thing about your works is that they are only line art and they doesn't show if you are able to render full coloured illustration. So already loosing commissions which require colours. And the list can go on...

As Tiggeraz mentioned you should study fundamentals and other things, just draw study, analyse and forget about commission work until you will really feel strong enough to work for money unless you are really short on them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are ready to work as an artist when people are prepared to pay at least the minimum wage for your art. It isn't really related to skill level, though a certain amount of skill is required, and skill isn't measured in points anyway.

I agree that your figures look stiff. In fact, your everything looks stiff and a bit stilted. Work on getting more confidence in drawing and inking. Work on drawing solid form and perspective. Work on fluid composition and posing. Work on all drawing fundamentals. Work from life at least some of the time.

Recommended reading: "Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators" by Mattesi, "Successful Drawing" by Loomis, "Framed Ink" by Mateu-Mestre, "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, i'm really happy about what you all said. Makes me really, really happy to see that people like Tiggeraz took time to go
    through all aspects of my artwork. I'm really thankfull about that (and a little bored to have a low-level english like i do).

I thank you again for all the answers, i'll do exactly as you guys said. And i agreed, my draws are, indeed, stiff.
    About colors as well. Im terrible with colors. I'll begin to study it right now, along with everything you guys said.
    And again, words are not enought to thank you all for taking time to analise it, especially Tiggeraz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are welcome, and i am glad we could help.
    Starting a sketchbook on this site and sharing your art would definately help you to improve faster. This way you could have direct feedback on your overall progress and your flaws pointed out by the community.
    As for the 'low-level english', that's nothing you should be worried about. You'll improve as you read and write in english. In a way it's like drawing, know to rules and keep practicing and you'll get better.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Starting a sketchbook on this site[...]"
    How should I do it? I'm really new to the forum and I really don't know how exactly I must do it.
    I saw that under the "Art Forums" menu on the top of the page has a "sketchbook" section, but I'm not sure if its possible to create topics there...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the link to the sketchbook section: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/for...41-Sketchbooks
    Just click on 'Post new Thread +' in the yellow box.
    It's always nice to see a little introduction to your person, what your aspirations as an artist are and where you currently stand in terms of your skills. So you might do this when starting a new sketchbook.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much.
    I'll start to work on it asap

Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Follows
    Following