Sketchbook: Zach's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zach's Sketchbook

Hey! I'm a sophomore in college, majoring in graphic design. I thought I'd keep track of my more illustration-y stuff, because it's definitely something that I'm trying to improve (definitely taking illustration classes when I can in college!).In terms of background, I'm 19 years old. Only really been getting into art and stuff for the past 3-4 years. I just finished the foundation year at my college, which definitely helped me improve a lot in terms of general drawing skills, but I want to continue getting better.If you have any tips, tutorials, or words of advice, I'd love to hear them!My sketchblog, which has a lot of stuff, rather than just illustration-related stuff, is here if you're interested. I'll probably update that a lot more than this thread, but I'll try to post here as well.Name:  miya.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  697.4 KBI've just been working on this for a couple of hours. It's for an art trade with one of my friends - it's one of her OCs. I definitely want tips on how to improve it, and tons of tips on how to colour it. I've been trying to make it coloured for a while now, but can't create an effect that makes sense and doesn't look flat.Name:  jon.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  663.0 KBThis was for another friend, who wanted a 'rastafarian smoking a blunt' (actual prompt - don't ask). Similarly, I had trouble putting it into colour after initially making it in black and white. I started doing black and white because I found it was so much easier to do than trying to go straight into colour, which I still find hard to use.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somehow i like the first pic! the expression of that guy is very well shown! But i think ur pics could loose someeee of that sketchyness.
    But i like ur work so far! keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd agree with Behemoth. I do like the guy in the first pic but your work would benefit if you tried tightening them up a bit more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I'm definitely working on that top one, trying to tighten it up. Do you have any tips on how to do that? Every time I try to blend, it's hard for me to lose the sketchiness. I'm also trying to make the lighting much more dramatic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth666 View Post
    Somehow i like the first pic! the expression of that guy is very well shown! But i think ur pics could loose someeee of that sketchyness.
    But i like ur work so far! keep going
    I tried to clean it up a little! I also upped the contrast of the background to make it more dramatic.
    Name:  miya2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  176.8 KB

I also tried putting in colour, and I did the method Sam Spratt talked about doing, which basically uses the 'select colour range' tool to drop in colour, decrease the transparency a little, then paint back over it. I've had a ton more success with this method than any of the other ones I've tried (mostly using layer styles) but I guess I need to work on colour theory before I really attempt to do a serious piece with colour.

Name:  miya3.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  322.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh i can see that u lost lots of your sketchyness.... and i think its much better
    What kind of programm do you use to create your artwork? Photoshop? Maybe i can give u some tips that could help you

The thing with the colour... i think it doesn't look that bad
    I don't have much experience with black white to coulour... i usually start with the colours

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Yeah, I definitely see the difference. I'm using Photoshop for this! Any tips would definitely be appreciated.

Haha thanks! I can't get it to look... realistic? I think it's to do with the specific colors that I've chosen. I heard that doing black and white first helps a lot, and it's definitely a lot easier for me to create forms with it. Whenever I start with colours, it ends up being really flat and the colours don't really go together.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I think u do it with a wacom tablet?.... so is ur tablet on pressure mode? so the harder u press the harder the brush gets?....
    I dont know how ur settings are. I got them on pressure and for soft transitions i use a big sized brush .... and for details etc. i use a smaller one

Well the thing with the colours is that there are so many ways to apply colours.... but i havent figured out a method to make a painting look realistic... i am still struggling with colours too.... so there i sadly got no tips for u sorry :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using pen pressure for size and opacity - didn't know there was an option for hardness! I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

I'm thinking of doing a couple of master studies to try get realistic colour all worked out. I'm leaving it for a few weeks, until I get my new laptop, but I'll definitely be doing a couple at some point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well i think there is one lol....

I think colour is a pretty big theme and its not done by doing some studies... i think u got to learn some colour theorie etc. to get nice and realistic looking and insteresting looking colours
    But theres nothing better than practice practice and practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, definitely. However, I've noticed a big problem with me connecting what I've learned about colour theory and putting it into practice in my own work, so I definitely want to do a ton of master studies to figure out how they've used it in practice. Basically trying to learn the application of colour theory to actual existing pieces, which will hopefully inform my own work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To get the kind of realism you want with the colors the only way to really do it is practice a whole lot. I'm always hesitant to try anything with color because I'm still very young in my art journey, so I personally *try* to stick to black and white just so I can master them values before i even begin to start studying colors. That's not to say I never use colors, but I definitely feel values should come first. But again I am bottom of the barrel beginner haha so you probably shouldn't take me too seriously.

As for applying knowledge just make sure after a hard day or week of studying and grinding out studies, to produce something for yourself. Doesn't matter how bad they come out, just make something for the sake of making something and having fun doing it. Try your best to put everything in your piece that you've been studying. If you're constantly practicing without applying then its almost useless. Again I'm no authority, just some advice that I feel has been helping me. Good Luck!

Members who have read this thread: 17