Tiger

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Tiger

My first digital painting that I'm fairly proud of. I'm pretty new to photoshop and digital artwork in general. Just let me know what you think

Name:  Tiger.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  1.24 MB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that it is a good drawing but a poor painting. Besides the stripe pattern and the placement of the features there is almost nothing to suggest the form. Don't get distracted by the details and the patterns and think of the basic shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, can you clarify a bit though? Do you mean the muscle structure? and if so how would I go about doing that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might take the photo and adjust it to black and white to see the forms better or do a greyscale rendition in pencil or charcoal. One thing that seems off to me is under the chin. There would be shadow indicating the throat is casting a shadow on the chest below. You've done it in a sort of blue grey. It isn't dark enough to indicate a shadow, it just looks you used white in one area and blue grey in another -- it doesn't indicate light and shadow/form. I don't know that much about digital painting. But in oil paint, no white is flat white, and if for example, your white has a pink (red) tint, your shadow area would be a contrasting color, some mix of red, white and green -- you have to look up color theory as applies to digital painting. There's a hundred youtube videos on digital painting. Look up "how to paint a tiger."

But otherwise, it's kind of cool, I like the bright orange and some of the hair detail is nice. You need to look more closely at the eye coming out from the side near the nose. The details of that don't really look like the tiger's eye would look from that angle. I think with some work you could make this a really nice picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i'm very used to traditional and adding values, I'm just a little confused on how to transfer that onto digitally painting. Should I have painted in a black and white tone(added the shadows and everything) and THEN add color to it?

Also, you mentioned color theory, I've actually watched a bunch of tutorials and read about it. I'm still finding it hard to wrap my mind around it. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, maybe someone else can help you then, because I haven't done much digital painting. You could try the black and white with paint over. Maybe you could use your color picker and sample the shadow from the original and see what color it is. Sample some of the whites too. Look at the bright side, you not wasting paint and canvas. Some of your stripe areas need more hairs and maybe the black your using is too dark -- looks flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your drawing. But the coloring is not good especially that yellow color. Eye is also good and attractive. I think the pencil drawing is better for you. Your drawing ability is so excellent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

Nice tiger you have here

So for painting, form and values for traditional art still apply to digital art. Digital you just have more options for application.

You can paint in grayscale first if you are having issues getting values and colors to cooperate, and then overlay and add in color and build it up. Or you can just start with color. Either way, doing comps first helps a great deal. You can work out color on a small scale.

First, if you want to turn this into a successful painting you’ll need a light source.

I assume you are working from reference and it’s clear you have an understanding of anatomy, so with my paint over I am ignoring the anatomy because honestly for me I would need some kind of ref to keep the tiger looking like a tiger.

Working from life and doing studies is great if you don’t want to have to worry about inventing light and color.

A tiger has planes as I’m sure you know, just like people do. Light is going to fall on those planes and cause all sorts of shadows. The tricky thing is not to get confused with the fur. The fur, since it is short in some places and long in others, will also cause shadows of their own. When painting fur, there are transitions in not only color and length but there is also fur direction. If you are going into much detail this is important.

In my quick paint over I applied a light source. I also drew a ball to show my idea for light direction. Applying light to simple objects is helpful also in working out colors.

Some recommended books: http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Gu...s=james+gurney

Any digital painting book will give you advice on different approaches: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...gital+painting

And there are lots of animal painting books out there but I can’t recommend one off the top of my head.

Word of caution: there are lots of neat photoshop brushes out there, especially fur brushes. I do not recommend these - people rely on them too much instead of learning how to properly paint fur, and it comes out looking over rendered without proper care.

Good luck!

Name:  tg.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  294.7 KBName:  ld.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  55.1 KB

Members who have read this thread: 25