Thanked 1,714 Times in 661 Posts
    Follows
    Following

COW #329: Razor-backed Land Shark- WIPs Thread

COW #329: Razor-backed Land Shark- WIPs Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  381.0 KB

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #329: Razor-backed Land Shark

Brief:
    This week we are going to be focusing on a creature that is identifyiable as a 'land-shark.' Although it need not necessarily be an actual shark per se, but it must have the basic characteristics associated with sharks, or shark-like species; such as fins, streamlined body, powerful jaws, rows of sharp teeth, etc. In addition this creature has razor sharp ridges or fins on its back that it uses for some purpose whether its for defense or hunting or fighting rivals of its species or if it helps it to navigate through dirt and sand. Try to be creative this round as I don't want to see a simple shark with legs walking on land. Cuz that's just boring.

Round Requirements:
    -Must resemble a shark in some way
    -it is fully terrestrial
    -has razor sharp ridges/fins on it's back

Deadline:
    Wednesday August 20, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...09#post3845109

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; August 11th, 2014 at 05:20 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something like this?
    Name:  landshark_wip1.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  95.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, the running deer gave me a giggle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @fabian: Nice! The deer are a nice touch.

I did a few sketches to get my brain going.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Colorado Kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope we don't get a bunch of D&D Bulette rip offs.

SpydrXIII.DeviantArt.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spydr View Post
    I hope we don't get a bunch of D&D Bulette rip offs.
    Definitely something for us to watch out for. I'm excited to see your design.

@elinoree: Nice concept. You're right, they have quite a few similarities. I cant wait to see where you take this one.

I did a few more iterations--with numbers for easy reference--but I'm not really feeling any of these quite yet. I think I need to do some marine creature research to combat the genericness.

Last edited by The Colorado Kid; August 7th, 2014 at 11:00 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Colorado Kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I think that both sharks and moles are pretty dang creepy and gross. They also have some surprising similarities if you're looking for them. Wouldn't want that guy popping out of the ground any time soon.
    This should be fun.
    Name:  land_shark.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  151.9 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to elinoree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick concept sketches...
    Name:  Land Sharks copy.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  80.8 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had to do a simple shark with legs just for kicks In other news I just had to share this awesome thing known as the Whorl Shark

15. The Following User Says Thank You to YangDaniel027 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @YangDaniel027 I googled Whorl Shark, and WOAH, crazy. I'm digging your hammerhead sketch.

Here's my start. I am mostly trying to get the basic creature design down, so wanted to start with a full body simple profile, and then will work on a more dynamic pose and little details and close-ups/overall painting. I'd like to show him bursting up from the ground and/or digging, maybe a good close-up of a foot.

I'm concerned he still looks too much like a "sea creature" rather than a land creature, but I'm really thinking in terms of digging and burrowing, so to me, this design makes sense, and am trying to make him very efficient for living underground and hunting from underneath.

I'm definitely still working out the kinks, so let me know what you think! Thanks.

Name:  mr_ugly.png
Views: 848
Size:  190.7 KB

Last edited by elinoree; August 8th, 2014 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can this be any kind of shark like a whale shark? Or only the scary meat eating kind?
    Name:  whale_shark2.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  79.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can base your creature off of any kind of shark or you can create something completely unique. As long as it can be recognized as a shark!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really wanna do this one, but we can't do sharks with legs. and that's all i can think of! elinoree's design is super creative and amazing. now that a mole shark is done. i don't think there is any other creative way for me to do this. but i'll keep thinking.

also, another fun land shark is magic the gathering's 'Battering Krasis'. just so happens last night my roomate gave me one. other krasis are not as sharky.

also everyone needs to look up 'Shark Ray'. it a really cool fish that i think could inspire us all.

SpydrXIII.DeviantArt.com

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Spydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on the swampshark(ill change that left arm a lot and probably the right one too).Tipps are welcome :3
    Name:  Sumpfhai.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  910.9 KB

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BenReichert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spydr: You are more than welcome to design a shark with legs, as long as you are creative with the design rather than just giving us a simple shark with legs and calling it done.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, guys.

Rob Powell: Looking good already. I like the bipedal design between the two.

BenReichert: Sweet swamp shark! It's got sort of a Lovecraftian horror vibe going for it, which is really working.

Lege1: Nice start with the colors and dynamic scene; I think the environment and the poor little prey creature add a lot.

elinoree: Once again, great concept. I was inspired to try out a bit of a rat/shark by your mole. I like that its albino white from being underground.

I did a quick one where I tried to incorporate rat features, inspired by elinoree's mole shark. It needs quite an overhaul, probably, but its a start. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by The Colorado Kid; August 9th, 2014 at 11:34 PM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Colorado Kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @The Colorado Kid: Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I actually had something similar to what I have now before my computer froze and I lost like two hours of work, so I got crazy and just chaotically put everything back together. Glad someone's liking it and we'll see what comes of it =) Your creature is coming along well as well, very different design spin on things.
    Name:  COW329_RazrBckLndShrk_082014_w4.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  487.2 KB

Last edited by Lege1; August 10th, 2014 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! new guy here.

This is the first time I post here (actually first time posting anything on conceptart.org) I gotta admit that im lurking here for like 2 months haha. I've been doing sketches of the COW for like 5 weeks by now and I never get to post it here, so finally i'm gonna go till the end with this one.

Really nice topic got some ideias and was really fun to make those sketches.

@elinoree thinking about a shark-mole its amazing, really digging it.

I was thinking about some strength predator with amazing hunt skills.

Name:  sharkconcept.png
Views: 710
Size:  200.8 KB

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrOranger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Mr.Oranger: Fala! Doing great man! I like the bottom right sketch concept the best, kinda like a shark mixed with a bear, I like the red hand print too.

Yup, so I know the colors on my artwork are pretty drab, I mean a lot of professionals like all the mute dumbed down colors, but it's definitely time to turn the lights on and make a brighter day regardless of what anyone will say =) So with that said a quick update with a value check.......check! "Look ma, no black or white in the image!"
    Name:  COW329_RazrBckLndShrk_082014_valchk.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  418.3 KB

Last edited by Lege1; August 11th, 2014 at 03:14 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the initial concept and reference sheet. Everyone seemed to be drawing scary sharks with legs, so we wanted to draw a pretty shark....without legs?..^^" Anyway'z its based off of the three sharks that filter their food like whales. First time doing anything like this so hope we win. Is there a set number of WIP's we have to upload in order to be allowed in the voting.
    Name:  COW 329 WIP-1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  COW 329 reference.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  109.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this was a hard topic. Tried for some time now to do something more designed than just slap legs on an ordinary shark...

A shark to me is a creature that moves fast and then strikes, so I'm trying hard to make my creature look like it can run.

Really like the wip's these round, will be an interesting final I think!

Name:  land_shark_wip.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  129.0 KB

35. The Following User Says Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB-Charakterdesign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the props y'all!

The WIPs are looking great! Lots of inspiration and different takes on the concept. Me likey.

@Mr. Oranger, I am going to agree with Lege, and am digging the bottom right sketch as well. I will honestly say, "awww, he's cute!" It also has story to it, which is what I like to see--a creature that you can immediately see or wonder about it's environment, diet, temperament. That makes you want to see more than a single image, and this guy does that for me.

@JB, what a great mood on this guy, and excellent rendering. It would be great to see some scale reference. Is it bigger than Godzilla? Pit bull size?

@Porcupine, so cute! I like your thinking about the "moves fast and strikes." You got it running, maybe we could see it crouching or hiding? I like the color too, unusual take.

I'm glad some folks are looking at the more slow moving and gentle whale shark and basking shark.

@Colorado Kid, your critter is looking cute, and I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

@Ben, I'm also seeing a Cthulu vibe which to me is almost always great and I agree that it's working here. Go horrific and gross!

@Lege, thanks for showing us your value check. You can still go with muted colors while showing some variety possibly with lighting or line quality. Maybe think of it as a tool to create mood and focus to where the action is. Make us cower at those claws and fear for the prey! I did a quick study to show you what I mean.

Name:  COW329_RazrBckLndShrk_082014_valuestdy.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  86.4 KB

Cheers!

Last edited by elinoree; August 11th, 2014 at 02:07 PM.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to elinoree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little update on the swampshark.Still 9 days left so im not in a hurry^^.im still struggling with getting the left arm right.
    Name:  Landhai.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  935.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    August 20 is a wednesday, so is the deadline saturday or wednesday?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry it was supposed to be Wednesday, changed it now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Elinoree: Thank you so much for the nice words and study; I greatly appreciate that I really do, and your right the muted palette can still look nice. I often like to try and use the color situation to put emphasis on specific areas of the image. Seeing that the value check was on point I know I could now go about putting whatever color wherever using any of the wonderful transparent layer mode options in Photoshop to really bring this thing to life.

@JB-Charakter Design: I agree with what Elinoree said above, but that may just be your little sneak peek or preview; it's more than obvious your a skilled image maker and anyone pushing a website takes what they do pretty serious, and if all that wasn't enough, it's no secret that great art comes from across the pond, particularly from places like France and Germany,lol. I am really liking your mood and rendering, I am definitely wondering how big this creature is and curious to see more of it.

***Alright so it's a been a priviledge to finally have a little time to finish one of these things, I notoriously start COWS and never get to finish due to life and it's time constraints, so in a lump some I was just happy to finally finish something. Feel free to rip it to shreds and if I take anyone's advice or opinion's into consideration I will try to find a little more time to sink to make the changes. Hope you all like for the most part...Name:  COW329_RazrBckLndShrk_082014_fini_web.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  770.1 KB

Last edited by Lege1; August 11th, 2014 at 08:46 PM.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wip. Made more of them but you don't want to see them guys They are really horrible. I need to finally train my sketching skills.

Name:  Sharklandpredator kopia4SMLL.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  39.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    froggy coloured land shark...needs more red and orange...
    Name:  Land Sharks copy.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  244.2 KB

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 181