Requesting Critique

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Requesting Critique

I'd like this to look as good as possible, so i'd appreciate any constructive criticism.

HeartOfTheForest.png

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there. i hope this is still relevant a week after the OP, but here i go.

what makes or breaks these landscape pieces is the lighting - the consistency of the lightsource, the use of sharp vs soft shadows, the light affecting and changing the colour of the surfaces it touches, etc. also the contrast of light and dark. you know, the usual.

there are various ways to figure out your lighting , here's a few:

* in the case of complex planes you've created here, i suggest you make yourself one of these (i found it in the "Paintovers for posterity" post) for the purposes of figuring out which parts the light would touch and which would remain dark (i think the stairs would be almost completely dark, for example):

vvv.jpg

* A trick i do is flatten my image and use the Cutout filter in Photoshop to simplify shapes for me - it helps simplify my composition and figure out what i like and dislike i my work.

*another old standard is turning the saturation off in your painting to see how the values work out, minus the colours. i suspect you have overused high-saturated colours in your work. it would help to direct focus where you want if you inserted some desaturated areas. this tutorial about how to pick your colours is very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQllLy_X4I

good luck.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 25