Thanks

theshunzun-Color Theory 1.1

Ok, here's my self-portrait assignment. I had fun with this one, and was surprised by what I was able to accomplish!

Name:  Self-Portrait20%.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  78.6 KB

Here are my thoughts:

1. Mass Light- Mass light, for the most part, is created upon planes facing the light source. I also noticed that mass light is generally one large shape.

2. Transition/Half Tone- the light here is formally found between the light and shadow systems, acting like a bridge between the two. This is usually found on forms that turn. Sometimes this is also a plane that falls between the light and shadow systems.

3. Highlights- the lightest values of the light system, they are also the planes that receive the most light. Highlights are more likely as the key lighting increases. In a mid-key picture, it tends to be found as an accent.

4. Mass Shadow- like mass light, the mass shadow system is essentially one large shape that can be broken down into finer values. It's opposite, however, in that it tends to be either facing away from the light source, or created through the obstruction of light by other forms.

5. Fill Light- this is essentially the ambient light of the room, filling in the spaces that aren't affected by key light.

6. Core Shadow- these shadows are by far the furthest from the light source, and are typically found on planes opposing the key light. The less ambient light there is, the more dense a core shadow will be.

7. Cast Shadow- shadows cast by forms usually take on the shape of the very thing creating it. The the density of the shadows are also dependent on the strength of the key light, and whether there are any fill lights.

Thanks for checking it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Between Action and Power, I found God.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    nice work simplifying your values. Good expression happening too. Look for more accurate planar shapes, and shapes which better describe the forms. Your simplification can sometimes not accurately describe the form and I think there is room for improvement there. Take a look at 3d models...the mesh...for heads. A quick google search for 3d model head mesh will show you how modelers describe forms with shapes that accurately wrap around the overall structure.

keep it up!

jm