Cloud's Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cloud's Sketchbook

Hey everyone! First of all, I'd like to apologize if I'm doing this wrong or something. Are you supposed to upload all pictures from your sketchbook at once or what? Anyways, I'm going to upload them as I progress through the sketchbook. I'm currently studying anatomy and perspective so expect to see a lot of that. I'm always looking for advice, so criticism is welcomed!

All right, here's the highlights of what i've done today!

Name:  IMG_20140802_144821.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  518.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20140802_144902.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  408.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20140802_144925.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  348.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20140802_144939.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  412.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20140802_145001.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  511.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20140802_145017.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  434.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20140802_145028.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  457.8 KB

So as you can see, I'm studying anatomy. The only thing is, I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. I'm just basically copying the pictures from "Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist" by Stephen Rogers Peck. I'm also simplifying the skeleton. Is there something else I should be doing?

Last edited by cloudconceptart; August 2nd, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Cloud, you're doing everything right so far! Copying (and studying) is a good way to start, I have also copied from Peck's anatomy book, I'll upload them to my sketchbook. After copying I would try to simplify and then draw from memory. Repeat each process as needed, don't be afraid to go back and keep copying when you need help understanding.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cfhhunt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cfhhunt! Thank you for the advice. I've never been good at studying, but apparently I'm doing good so far. I'll be sure to check out your sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright everyone. I've decided that I didn't really introduce myself properly in my first upload, so let's try this again. Hey! I'm cloud. I've been drawing for my whole life pretty much, and I started taking it seriously about a year ago. I'm thirteen, so yea, there's that. Anyways, I don't really know what kind of artist I want to be. I want to be a concept artist, but then I also want to be an animator. So I'm just practicing stuff that will apply to both careers. Anyways. Enjoy my sketchbook! (Sorry for the low quality of the images by the way.)

Name:  IMG_20140804_222207.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  374.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20140804_222220.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  340.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20140804_222234.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  331.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20140804_222244.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  395.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20140804_222255.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  307.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20140804_222330.jpg
Size:  336.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20140804_222544.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  383.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20140804_222559.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  320.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20140804_222639.jpg
Size:  421.6 KB

I'm thinking I'll start uploading pictures to my sketchbook daily. I'll also try to do some stuff from my imagination!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, thanks for taking the time and stopping by my sketchbook.Honestly, all i can say is that i wish i started drawing as early as you.Also you seem to be very disciplined in your practice.Keep it up and the results will be grand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! The scanner is finally working! I decided I'd scan in this picture i made of some guy that's basically the scout from tf2. I tried to colour it in photoshop but I'm not very good at that yet. Anyways, here's the final image if anyone's interested!

Name:  scooty booty man copy.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  246.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will say that studying anatomy is great but I think if just doing the bones from the start without a over all guide to understand how they all fit together may get some what frustrating or self defeating in a way.

I say that stick with your anatomy studies but pair that time with another book that shows how the overall form fits together with those bones.

So I would say pair your anatomy book up with say, Michael Hampton's "Invention and Design" or Loomis's "Figure Drawing For All It's Worth". Something that ties it all together. So when studying the head, learn the skull, when learning the torso, learn the spine and ribs. When doing the shoulders and neck add the clavicles and scapula etc or something to that effect.

I am personally doing this with Riven Phoenix's "The Structure of Man" and Richer's "Artistic Anatomy".
    Check my sketch book to see the results.

Once I am done I will move on to another figure drawing book and again pair that with another anatomy book. It will be pure over kill but my goals require an absolute mastery of the human anatomy.

Good luck to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mueslimensch: Thanks for the reply! It means alot to me!

BillW: Thank you for the advice. I am sort of frustrated with drawing just bones and not understanding how the figure works overall. I think I'll checkout Figure Drawing for All it's worth. (I like Loomis's teaching style, if that's a thing.)

Uploads:

I didn't do much today, but I did promise I would upload daily and draw some stuff from my imagination. And I came through on that :3.(I think.)

Name:  bipp bop boopity bop over the top.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  754.6 KB

Name:  self portrait 1.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  700.6 KB

This self portrait bothers me so much. Unfortunately, I can't really provide a picture of myself to compare the portrait to me. Anyways, if anyone knows why this portrait looks so weird to me, any advice is greatly appreciated! I think the only thing I drew today that I actually liked was that little still-life of the ink bottle XD. Seeya guys next time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm posting this a few hours before midnight, but I'm still technically fulfilling my promise of uploading each day, right? XD Anyways I was really busy today so I didn't have a lot of time to sketch. Here are a few proportion studies from "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth" By Andrew Loomis. (Thanks for the recommendation BillW.) I'll try to upload more work tommorow.

DISCLAIMER: If you break your neck trying to view these sketches, I'm not paying the medical bills.XD
    Name:  male anatomy proportions study 1.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  482.2 KB

Name:  woman anatomy proportions study 1.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  362.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the self portrait is "flat". It lacks the form of the underlying skull and and muscle/fat. Eyes lack negative space, bottom of the nose looks to be too low making the space between the eyes and the mouth too long. The curve of the jaw is not equal on each side, no cheek bones and I guess the neck is too thin.

Without seeing a picture of you that is all I can say that stands out, heck you maybe pretty close but who knows!?! Regardless you lack the surface anatomy to bring it to life. So basically you need to study the proportions of the head/face and learn the underlying structure that effects the surface anatomy to create that "life" look.

But the "style" is unique if you just refined it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BillW: Thanks for the reply. I wish I could provide a picture of myself, but what you said does seem to be correct. The nose is definitely lower than it should be, and I really need to study the skull, and the muscles/fat of the head.

Here are a few more pictures from figure drawing for all it's worth. Expect some more low quality pictures for the next few days, (going on vacation.) Other than that, not much more to say.

Name:  anatomy study 1.jpeg.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  428.3 KB

Name:  anatomy study 2.jpeg
Views: 50
Size:  488.8 KB

Name:  male anatomy proportions study 2.jpeg
Views: 50
Size:  465.5 KB

Name:  anatomy study 1.jpeg.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  428.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're off to a nice start You should draw people from life as well, even if they are just super quick sketches, it will help with the proportions ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Minella: Thank you for the reply! Notes taken! I will definitely draw people from life soon.

On that note, an entire week of absence... I was on vacation for 3 days, so I didn't have access to a computer to upload from, but still, I should work on uploading more often. Hopefully I will get back into the schedule of uploading regularly!

Name:  bop bip boopity bopular.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  459.1 KB

Name:  fuckity fuckwad.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  548.2 KB

Name:  heckyes.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  602.2 KB

Name:  nope.avi.jpeg
Views: 31
Size:  469.0 KB