SRigum's art armory

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SRigum's art armory

Evening,

Started drawing as a hobby in 2007, but I only started taking it seriously in 2012. Only in 2013 did I look towards art as a profession, albeit in a comic book direction. It all started from fan art of my favorite cartoons, and because I was in a music program, I was not able to take any art classes. I wish that I had started learning art from a painter's perspective instead of as a drawer. With comics, I know that there is more creative freedom than realism and still-life, but I have a craving to squeeze the most out of graphic storytelling, to capture the facets of life as vibrantly and confidently as possible.

What now depresses me from my goal is my doubts with digital drawing, I feel as if I'm approaching the apparatus all wrong:

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  216.0 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  629.5 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  266.8 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  212.1 KB

Thank you for your time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! I kinda share your opinion with the comic book freedom thingy, but you got to develop a certain set of drawing or painting skills in order to express this freedom. In order to express your ideas better. And these things are developed trough many, many hours of drawing.

Now you also said that you feel that you aproach the digital medium all wrong. You kinda are. This is because almost any professional digital artist uses a drawing tablet. This way you can easily blend values through pressure sensitivity and it will feel more like a traditional thing. The industry standard is Wacom and if you got the money go and get one. They are amazing. If not, there are alternatives. I started out with a medion tablet.

Talking about traditional drawing. I think that you should focus more on the traditional drawing for now because it is the fastest way to develop drawing skills and while digital is amazing for drawing and painting. It is not a very forgiving medium to start out with as drawing with it is harder. Start doing still-lives with charcoal or pencil( or even real paint if you got the materials) and focus on the drawing first. Break it down into simple shapes (simple to complex).

In your overall yourney http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ will be a beautifull source of learning material as Matt Kohr is a awesome tutor. Check dem vids out.

Hope this helps : D

I would be happy if you could give me some feedback on my scetchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?&t=280596
    Composition 1.1: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...112&viewfull=1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know that core skills are still necessary in comic books, that's why I said I still wanted to learn more. This is not something I decided on a whim, I went through hours and days of research of techniques because I crave for that kind of power of expression so greatly.

Also, I am drawing with a Wacom, a Bamboo Fun, and I have been for the past year. Oh no, I guess I am terrible if it's confused for mouse drawing. Heck, even mouse drawings are better than whatever I put out. I try to learn, I try to practice, I try to prove everyone wrong, but I get nowhere as if I'm jogging in place in a glass cage where everyone gawks at me. It wasn't always like this. Like I said, I started the hobby in 2007, albeit studying because I liked my hobby so much. I drew to the point where others asked me if I did photography. It's probably those people that led me astray, I should stay away from them so I know where I even am and where I'm going. Gosh, this is all wrong. Maybe I'm presenting myself wrong. But it feels so wrong, so askew, so mutilated, I just want to get this horrible feeling out of my head.

What am I even doing, I'm sorry, I'm crying my frustrations over the internet where expression is limited. It's not you, I have a cynical head on my shoulders that I hate as well.

I study from that site as well, but I never learn, do I. It's all wrong, whatever I'm doing, that's what my brain is saying but I know it's not true. I'm constantly at war with myself, I know it's never the end, but I feel so stuck that it scares me into a standstill. I'll get over it, I always do. But at least now I know where I stand.

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner for all the pencil drawings I've done, and I'm not good enough with a camera to get a shot to my liking. It's a trapped feeling, and yet I'm free, hopefully I can stand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't always this bad, I swear. Now the obstacle is the old self-confidence. Hello old friend, I thought I got rid of you. Where will you take me this time?

Name:  Mage apprentice whatsit.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  900.7 KB
    Name:  Sully Concept.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  117.4 KB
    Name:  Clay.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  1.02 MB

Maybe my problem is I took the term "sketchbook" too literally. This isn't my playground, it's someone else's turf and I have to dress up nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am here to help you, you are going through some emotions and I get you. Whatever you try, it feels as if nothing happens and that there is no progress. I feel that.
    But I do not know your situation, background or emontional state. I base this on what I read.
    If you don't like my advice or if you don't like me to get so personal, delete my post. Ill know and Ill leave you alone.
    But even though it might be harsh, I am trying to help you here. At least read it whole and think about my advice.

I read that you want to prove everyone wrong. So I suppose that you're told you can't do it. You DO NOT have to prove to ANYONE that they are wrong. Because they are. If you are trying to get to a goal, and I mean really trying it. You should not care what people say. You should not listen to people who say you can't do something. Because that's what keeps you from progressing. Make it your goal to become like your favorite artist, and others seeing you did it should be a byproduct.

That said. You should stop telling yourself these things. I see it in your post. They won't help you in any way. You think that your paintings are so bad. And that I taught they were mouse drawings because of that. No. I thought it because I didn't see any sign of pressure sensitifity. You know, the blending of values. You told yourself something bad and it wasn't (BTW try to enably pressure sensitivity, if you learn a bit of blending (ctrlpaint has a vid on that) and use it, it will just look better) . And with the mousepaintings are even better than what I put out. So? Fung Zu is a better painter than me. Should I stop painting? Should I be less motivated to start painting? No, because there will always be someone better than me and you and Feng Zu. And that is nothing to be ashamed off.

Post those traditional drawings you have. Just take a lamp. Place it above your drawing so that its not too dark. And make a straight photo from above and it doesn't have to be perfectly straight. As I said, its not about you pleasing my eyes. Its about you progressing. So no proving. Yes to Progressing. Post your best and worst.

Until I and the community can see those. Some more advice. You have spend (as stated) a lot of time into researching techniques. Than start to focus more on realism than on comic books. And you will see that your comic book skills will improve. Sycra has a beautifull explination of this concept. Really you should watch it. Maybe even before reading further. He uses anime as a example but this also goes for comics.

Here is my technical advice. For instance seeing the faces. Look up the proportions of the face. Now take those proportions and test them on pictures using google. This way you will believe it more, understand it more and remember it better. Now start making another face with the right proportions. Got the proportions right. Good but now you might say: "Hey, the parts of the face all look awefull." Don't let this discourage you. Pick one. lets say the nose. Draw the nose from different angles. Try to get a feeling of what planes a nose has. Maybe draw contour lines across it. Know the difference between understanding and drawing an object. Once you understand, you will be able draw a nice nose. Now do eyes. Now you know the proportions and the parts of the face. Start getting a feel of the face itself. Where are the parts placed? Look at a skull and think how this relates to the face's shape. Don't let light or values get in your way, you'r just trying to work on a specific part of your skillset and don't let other 'parts' of this skillset distract you. And BTW. Do these on paper.

If you try to learn more about light in general. Try to be fascinated by it in real live. Ask yourself these questions while outside? Why is that spot darker than that spot. How am I able to see under this object even though there is no direct light? How can that boy shine light in another boys eye with a mirror? Why can't he do that with a stone?

While doing these studies, you will develop better line quallity, a better understanding of form, values, light and anatomy and better overal drawing skills. And the best part is that these will massively improve your comic book style drawings. These are the famous "Fundamentals".

I advice to not start with faces, anatomy or light. Start over. Instead of jogging in the glass box. Try climbing (climbing up higher every time). A different approach.
    Start taking your pencil and shading a long flat box, going from very light to very dark. Now take simple objects, carefully draw them (i mean not with tension, but with measuring them) and get a sense of their 3D form. Maybe even put some values in them. Develop your drawing skills (not to be confused ith painting skills) first so that you can move up to the noses and eyes.

It took me about 2.5 hours to write all this. And I would not have spend so much energy on you if I didn't want to truly help you. If can't stop telling yourself negative things maybe spill your guts to someone close to you. Or maybe seek a psychologist. Maybe try meditation. Because these things will truly hinder you in your artistic yourney.

Hope this helps you as much as I want this to help you

Martin

PS: This is your playground, your own creative playground. Unless you love racist or other offending art (there are some obvious rules) you have complete artistic freedom here.

PSPS: The drawings in the second look a lot more clean and controlled. So good work man : )

I would be happy if you could give me some feedback on my scetchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?&t=280596

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Frank For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I am honored that you are one to lend an ear. But communication still seems to be a slough to get through.

I'm trying to clarify myself here, as frank as possible, so to express myself: every tidbit of advice you suggested, I've known already, and pondered over, and struggled over countless times to understand my feelings. I have done countless of months of study, that research, on the fine arts, comics books have only come into play just recently. I guess saying that I've been drawing consistently 2007 isn't very clear, I probably should leave the "hobby" part out, as this is a the big kids zone. It's true that my first few drawings were of cartoons, but I quickly picked up graphite and charcoal and practiced the fundamentals already. I know how to make textures from leather to glass, I know the importance of understanding shapes and lighting and their relationship to one another, and I know that art is not about what other people think of me. I've tried to express my personal passion for art and comic books, I guess it's not strong enough. Still not stopping me. The people I referred to are truly imaginary, yes, I'm that kind of person. That is the war in my head. Those people are in my head, and they bring me down. That's why I wanted to prove them wrong, I wanted to prove myself wrong. Besides, I have multiple goals to accomplish with art, whether they be for myself or for the world, they all tug at me and I try to keep pace, but none are to compare myself to others. Geez, me and my flowery words. I have delved deep to get rid of the glorification of cartoons, I have seen Sycra's video of why style doesn't matter, I understand it, and I've understood it years before. But I'm not saying that I am great, nor that you interpret me as saying that I am great, this little philosophy discussion was brought upon by a few trigger words and my deranged mind.

I must confess, I felt offended at being retold these fundamentals that I already knew, I wish I could put up a list of what I know, but art isn't that tangible. It's nothing personal, not to you nor to me, as I've said before that some of the people inside my head are angry but I know in reality that this is all for the sake of improvement. If you so wish, I'll see what I can do to post my old traditional works. I'm hesitant since the last traditional on paper drawing I made was three years ago. What mainly filled up the gap between then and when I got my tablet were drawings in a tiny lined notebook.

It's funny, we are faceless creatures on this intangible plane called the internet and we can embarrass ourselves so easily. I'm sorry, this seems to be a misunderstanding, and I look back and cringe at my obsession to clarify myself. That itself isn't even a problem. Ah, there I go again, rambling then being embarrassed to ramble and then reassuring myself it's okay to ramble.

Last edited by Sic Rigum; August 3rd, 2014 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're not alone about having a cynical head m8. Trust me on that one .
    And believe me, EVERYONE goes through the learning curve when it comes to using a tablet. I've basically seen people that are AMAZING at traditional art going over to digital and sucking for a while before they learn to use a tablet. Your eyes and hands just aint used to coordinate that way yet, but don't worry. One day you'll wake up and it'll be okay.
    It's like riding a bike. You've just gotta keep trying until your feet, eyes and hands learn to coordinate and communicate together. And then it sticks with you for your entire life. It might be weird if you haven't been on a bike for like 10 years or so, but you'll pick it up after a few minutes again. It just becomes reflex.

I agree with Martin, you should just take photos with your phone of your work! Id love to see some of your traditional stuff.
    I agree with everything else he said too. ESPECIALLY about not trying to prove everyone else wrong. Focus on YOU.
    There's a lot of amazing people on this site that will and want to help you. We're all in this together. And one day one of us might make it big and need someone for a job. And then they might one day think of you!

I really like your first on in post 4 btw! The hands especially are great!

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I hope to get across as calmly as possible is that I feel as if I'm beyond the fundamentals, that's why I said I wanted to work on comic books. It was my mistake to take the term sketchbook too literally, I should have started by posting some nicer drawings. Or maybe that's not a bad thing at all. I'm not sure, it's not anyone's fault, it's just my defense mechanisms acting up whenever I disagree.

But frankly, and I'm sorry for any offense, I feel as if people still look down on or don't entirely understand comic book art. Yes, my drawings are still categorized as sketches, but using varying pressure to create values is not the only way to create expression, and I so chose not to use values because I personally liked three toned shading more. My settings in Photoshop make it so that pressure dictates the line thickness, not of gradients. In all of my drawings, line thicknesses are everyone, and I was hoping that eventually, with the right sketch, people would comment on my use of expressive lines (I wasn't expecting people to comment so early). Shading in three values is a style I chose because, and this is embarrassing to say, when I do traditional shading, I always go overboard because I have so much fun, and people comment on why I draw black people so often. Also, traditional shading when you're inking is not entirely the same.

Understand that I'm not mad or insane (at least, that's what my psychologist diagnoses. I do have a mental illness though), but I'm very squirrely. But I did have a massive headache then, maybe that's why I wasn't able to think straight clarify myself. Maybe not. I'm sorry for the confusion, and I know it's alright to make mistakes. I think that's another thing that got me testy, talking philosophy on personal growth. Isn't that always a hard science? Understandable since we're all without backgrounds here. I guess I'll put up mine for now. Let's just say that I grew up being compared in everything to everyone in every which way possible. Remarkably, I didn't submit to that way of thinking and instead got sick of it and decided to avoid comparison to the best of my ability. Unfortunately, that left me to the big monster that is my weak self-confidence, and also the multiple thoughts raging a storm in my head. But with the multiple voices in my head, the voice that says "this looks like crap" get followed by "let's fix it" sooner or later. I think.

Ah man, it's sounds like I'm just saving face from my previous panic attack, and... I'm pretty much am. I won't deny it, oh well, time to get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Page 1 Comparison No Text.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  1.47 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woke up, and desired to draw a chicken. Is it symbolic, is it Freudian, or did I just feel like drawing a chicken?

Name:  Mmmchicken.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  89.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Ancient Stash

In hindsight, it doesn't hurt to post old drawings (although I'm really embarrassed by them, aren't we all?) I've calmed down enough to submit. So I dug up some old memories. Turns out, I'm missing a few years worth. This is not an excuse, I can't find my earliest of drawings, even though I remember them so clearly. It made me sad. Maybe it's because I moved, or maybe I'm too messy.

This will be a huge cluster, so as a warning to all: You are now entering Sic Rigum's past. If you are looking for recent drawings... hopefully I can put up a hyperlink to the next post sooner or later. Also the quality is terrible because I don't have a scanner and I have shaky hands with no tripod. Ctrl+F from 2008-2014

2008-2009:

These were all done with a reference. I think they are still on the net, somewhere.
    Like I said, I did start off drawing cartoons, gosh am I flushing already?
    Name:  20140803_205149.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  60.8 KB Name:  20140803_205223.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  57.3 KB

Loved the Flash as a kid.
    Name:  20140803_205253.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  63.5 KB Name:  20140803_205315.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  55.3 KB

Guess what video games I was playing then...
    Name:  20140803_205343.jpg
Size:  64.4 KB Name:  20140803_205407.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  20140803_205433.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  63.3 KB Name:  20140803_205454.jpg
Size:  54.4 KB Name:  20140803_205758.jpg
Size:  58.5 KB Name:  20140803_205817.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  63.4 KB Name:  20140803_205842.jpg
Size:  54.4 KB

Oh look, it's back.
    Name:  20140803_205919.jpg
Size:  54.1 KB

Then I can't find the rest of 2009. I remember drawing whisky bottles, animals, and celebrities. Back then, I thought about becoming an architect, but that quickly went down the drain.

2010:

From now on, all except the humans were done without reference. Unless otherwise stated.
    Yes, I like anime. No, I'm not drawing because of it. I got over the glorification back in 2008.
    Name:  20140803_205941.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  60.0 KB Name:  20140803_210011.jpg
Size:  69.1 KB

Now this was a cover of a book. Points to anyone who could possibly recognize it. I barely recognize it. But it has to do with Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, and Tom Cruise.
    Name:  20140803_210055.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  65.7 KB

A quick sketch from my trip to Quebec. It's a nice province, and the city itself is awesome.
    Name:  20140803_210156.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB

I got really into caricatures. These were of people I used to know.
    Name:  20140803_205617.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB Name:  20140803_205634.jpg
Size:  61.8 KB Name:  20140803_205646.jpg
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  20140803_205704.jpg
Size:  58.0 KB

2011:

These were all done in a little notebook I carried around. Sorry.
    The majority of these were done with a ballpoint pen. It was the first time I drew with something that permanent. Dark charcoal aside.
    Name:  20140803_210430.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  67.7 KB Name:  20140803_210447.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  61.7 KB Name:  20140803_210505.jpg
Size:  60.7 KB Name:  20140803_210543.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  73.8 KB Name:  20140803_210558.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  62.5 KB

Ah, I remember, I was trying to draw a beast in a stupid action pose you see in cartoons. I immediately saw that the pose was off, so I covered it up with a naked girl.
    Name:  20140803_210612.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  62.9 KB

I drew this while on a bus. A friend wanted a fairy. It was a bad idea, not only for the drawing, but because I got a bit of motion sickness.
    Name:  20140803_210641.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  61.4 KB Name:  20140803_210655.jpg
Size:  78.1 KB Name:  20140803_210715.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  75.0 KB Name:  20140803_210733.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  73.4 KB

I was obsessed with Bjork's "All is full of love" music video. Still kind of am.
    Name:  20140803_210817.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  70.8 KB

More people I used to know, except not caricatured.
    Name:  20140803_210840.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  61.7 KB

This is what I get for not studying automobiles before and not using any references.
    Name:  20140803_210942.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  54.5 KB Name:  20140803_210957.jpg
Size:  56.5 KB Name:  20140803_211039.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  58.4 KB

The stairs became my bane, and I was frustrated.
    Name:  20140803_211018.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  65.6 KB Name:  20140803_211054.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  67.2 KB Name:  20140803_211116.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  74.7 KB

My shading obsession exemplified...
    Name:  20140803_211139.jpg
Size:  63.7 KB

The shape of her head was pretty spot on, I just didn't finish before she left.
    Name:  20140803_211153.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB Name:  20140803_211208.jpg
Size:  55.5 KB Name:  20140803_211221.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  62.5 KB

I was bored, and asked a friend what to draw. I was still bored afterwards.
    Name:  20140803_211308.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  62.3 KB Name:  20140803_211321.jpg
Size:  64.4 KB

Someone I used to know. No, she's not an ex.
    Name:  20140803_211351.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  73.5 KB Name:  20140803_211405.jpg
Size:  78.5 KB Name:  20140803_211420.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  74.1 KB

Drawing from dreams and imagination.
    Name:  20140803_211436.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  70.6 KB Name:  20140803_211457.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB Name:  20140803_211532.jpg
Size:  72.2 KB Name:  20140803_211548.jpg
Size:  68.0 KB

I saw my mistake early, and I stopped. I couldn't finish.
    Name:  20140803_211601.jpg
Size:  70.9 KB Name:  20140803_211618.jpg
Size:  62.1 KB Name:  20140803_211634.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

I hate this one...
    Name:  20140803_211649.jpg
Size:  60.1 KB Name:  20140803_211709.jpg
Size:  60.3 KB

Shaky cam...
    Name:  20140803_211724.jpg
Size:  67.1 KB Name:  20140803_211736.jpg
Size:  68.5 KB Name:  20140803_211753.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  62.4 KB

2012:

Name:  20140803_211826.jpg
Size:  71.9 KB Name:  20140803_211841.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  62.6 KB Name:  20140803_211900.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  57.5 KB Name:  20140803_211953.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  79.2 KB

I drew this before seeing Donny Darko. I had to pause the film to check this.
    Name:  20140803_212010.jpg
Size:  67.3 KB Name:  20140803_212047.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  65.9 KB Name:  20140803_212111.jpg
Size:  65.7 KB Name:  20140803_212138.jpg
Size:  60.6 KB

Had a massive headache that day. I also just read the 100th issue of The Walking Dead.
    Name:  20140803_212153.jpg
Size:  77.0 KB Name:  20140803_212202.jpg
Size:  83.2 KB Name:  20140803_212216.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  80.0 KB

Used to know. The letters are their initials in case I ever forgot them.
    Name:  20140803_212229.jpg
Size:  67.5 KB Name:  20140803_212254.jpg
Size:  65.5 KB Name:  20140803_212304.jpg
Size:  67.8 KB Name:  20140803_212318.jpg
Size:  68.2 KB Name:  20140803_212349.jpg
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  20140803_212243.jpg
Size:  66.6 KB Name:  20140803_212334.jpg
Size:  58.0 KB Name:  20140803_212415.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB Name:  20140803_212437.jpg
Size:  63.9 KB

This was a collaboration. My friend drew the head to the neck. I drew the body and the hat.
    Name:  20140803_212512.jpg
Size:  67.8 KB Name:  20140803_212532.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  65.4 KB Name:  20140803_212605.jpg
Size:  81.5 KB Name:  20140803_212620.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  20140803_212635.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  65.0 KB Name:  20140803_212707.jpg
Size:  74.5 KB Name:  20140803_212722.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  73.0 KB Name:  20140803_212750.jpg
Size:  65.0 KB

Wonder if he's recognizable. He's a infamous historical figure.
    Name:  20140803_212807.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  68.3 KB Name:  20140803_212832.jpg
Size:  58.2 KB Name:  20140803_212856.jpg
Size:  63.3 KB

A friend's kid. A friend drew the smiley because she thought it was cute.
    Name:  20140803_212930.jpg
Size:  51.9 KB Name:  20140803_212943.jpg
Size:  53.2 KB

Now that I think about it, none of the people I draw have ever find out I've used them as reference. I'll be surprised if any of them are here and recognize themselves. If so, hi, it's been a while, sorry for drawing you, tell me if you're uncomfortable with this.
    Name:  20140803_213001.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  66.0 KB Name:  20140803_213032.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB Name:  20140803_213042.jpg
Size:  64.1 KB Name:  20140803_213101.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB Name:  20140803_213238.jpg
Size:  63.4 KB

Slow transition back to pencils...
    Name:  20140803_213115.jpg
Size:  64.5 KB Name:  20140803_213129.jpg
Size:  60.1 KB Name:  20140803_213206.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  79.2 KB Name:  20140803_213250.jpg
Size:  74.1 KB Name:  20140803_213223.jpg
Size:  77.6 KB

What? I like cute things too.
    Name:  20140803_213258.jpg
Size:  59.6 KB Name:  20140803_213312.jpg
Size:  68.9 KB

I should make a full fledged environment thumbnail sometime.
    Name:  20140803_213322.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  76.6 KB Name:  20140803_213343.jpg
Size:  57.7 KB

2013:

A few girls nearby were talking about embryos. They weren't pregnant (I think). It was so hot that day, made me feel like melting.
    Name:  20140803_213436.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  65.7 KB Name:  20140803_213457.jpg
Size:  69.6 KB Name:  20140803_213520.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB

Around this time I got into comic book art.
    Name:  20140803_213601.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB

Body is too small...
    Name:  20140803_213620.jpg

Not worth finishing.
    Name:  20140803_213631.jpg
Size:  61.7 KB Name:  20140803_213643.jpg
Size:  58.8 KB Name:  20140803_213659.jpg
Size:  58.0 KB

Stubby fingers? What stubby fingers? Oh hey, it came back with a friend.
    Name:  20140803_213721.jpg
Size:  56.5 KB Name:  20140803_213749.jpg
Size:  63.3 KB

Kissing: awkward to do in art and in real life.
    Name:  20140803_213815.jpg
Size:  56.7 KB

Ah, a terrible time.
    Name:  20140803_213913.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB Name:  20140803_215012.jpg
Size:  73.1 KB

Couldn't get her hair right.
    Name:  20140803_213940.jpg
Size:  56.2 KB Name:  20140803_213929.jpg
Size:  61.1 KB Name:  20140803_213959.jpg
Size:  62.7 KB

The Flash is back... and worse than ever... Oh gosh, turn off the bat signal.
    Name:  20140803_214016.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB Name:  20140803_214027.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB

Argh, someone blow out the lantern. Ehh, someone get Gwen Stacy.
    Name:  20140803_214041.jpg
Size:  60.1 KB Name:  20140803_214051.jpg
Size:  63.7 KB

I stopped before it got worse. Ahh, Sic smash!
    Name:  20140803_214104.jpg
Size:  59.2 KB Name:  20140803_214125.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB

2014:

Name:  20140803_214157.jpg
Size:  68.7 KB Name:  20140803_214210.jpg
Size:  59.3 KB Name:  20140803_214222.jpg
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  20140803_214233.jpg
Size:  63.7 KB Name:  20140803_214248.jpg
Size:  64.1 KB Name:  20140803_214259.jpg
Size:  68.7 KB

I was watching Lain.
    Name:  20140803_214315.jpg
Size:  62.5 KB Name:  20140803_214334.jpg
Size:  74.7 KB

I love this guy. Yes, I saw the entire show. Still love him.
    Name:  20140803_214434.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB Name:  20140803_214451.jpg
Size:  67.4 KB Name:  20140803_214523.jpg
Size:  60.3 KB Name:  20140803_214550.jpg
Size:  55.6 KB

Sketching out how much I could do expressions without a mouth.
    Name:  20140803_214637.jpg
Size:  62.1 KB Name:  20140803_214614.jpg
Size:  63.4 KB Name:  20140803_214739.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB Name:  20140803_214756.jpg

Toying around with common styles. I'll carve out my own someday.
    Name:  20140803_214816.jpg
Size:  60.0 KB Name:  20140803_214845.jpg
Size:  65.5 KB Name:  20140803_214901.jpg
Size:  59.7 KB

Whoops, comic style seeping into realism, maybe.
    Name:  20140803_214917.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB Name:  20140803_214935.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  63.4 KB

Second attempt with inking tools. The first attempt is too embarrassing.
    Name:  20140803_215057.jpg
Size:  60.6 KB Name:  20140803_215114.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  65.3 KB

Attempt to draw Obama while in a car. Bad idea.
    Name:  20140803_215137.jpg
Size:  72.5 KB

First "successful" try with the inking nib and prismacolor black marker.
    Name:  20140803_215158.jpg
Size:  65.7 KB Name:  20140803_215213.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB

Went on a short study at a museum. Couldn't stay long because mother tagged along.
    Interior of Church of St. Bavo, Haarlem, 1676, Job Adriaensz Berckheyde.
    Couldn't find an online picture of the exact painting I saw.
    Name:  20140803_215236.jpg
Size:  94.9 KB

Man smoking and another man eating by candlelight, 1624, Willem Van der Vliet.
    Name:  Comparison.jpg
Size:  393.6 KB

People... I never knew. Just saw them in public.
    Name:  20140803_215423.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Two guys had an interesting pose. Tried to superimpose my characters.
    Name:  20140803_215502.jpg
Size:  58.8 KB Name:  20140803_215518.jpg
Size:  60.5 KB

Artist's block... maybe. Made a couple of notes for improvement.
    Name:  20140803_215540.jpg
Size:  75.3 KB Name:  20140803_215628.jpg
Size:  93.3 KB

My personal collection, bared for everyone. I think I'll feel better when I look back on this. Long trip to make.

Last edited by Sic Rigum; August 5th, 2014 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand that you think you've got the fundamentals controlled. But then you could show us. Draw a man or woman naked anatomicly correct or draw two colored balls next to each other with correct lighting. Draw some kind of spaceship or environment with correct perspective. And you can btw still focus on comics while practising other things.
    And I know I come across as a guy that keeps telling you the same thing over and over again even though you don't like it that way.

For some more real critique. The arm in both of those drawings. The 2012 and the 2013 one are muscle wise not that accurate. First I thought it layed in a impossible angle but then I saw it was laying on his body above the sheets. But the bed doesn't really read as a bed in that.
    http://thewolfmancometh.files.wordpr...ick-grimes.jpg
    This kinda looks like your style (I think) with the few values and it shows a bit more readible version of a bed.
    Good luck mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoah dude! Make these smaller please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, I didn't understand how to work on these forums for a while. I think I'm getting better. Concerning your last post, I'm not annoyed or angry at you, I get nervous even though I'm not facing you. The misunderstanding caused, well, misunderstandings. I really do appreciate your interest, and also for helping deflate my ego a bit. Living alone swells it up too much.

For my 2012 vs. 2013 post, are you talking about the panel where the arm is up close or where the room is in a wide view?

I do read The Walking Dead, do you? I personally like Tony Moore's style more than Charlie Adlard's, but I think Adlard does bring out the expressions and motions better. Moore does use more gradients, I think I tend to block off my values. Nate Powell blocks off values and uses gradients, especially in the March trilogy. http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/art...-hi-res-65.jpg

I'll try to put up some more sketches that excersize the fundamentals. Time to put my art where my mouth is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made 6 August 2014

Name:  Male Chest.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  138.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, only the tv-series. But I know he woke up from a hospital and I know it is based on a comic so I looked that up in order to find a bed. And I guess that both drawings have not so readible beds. I tend not to say wrongn because there is always style. But comic book style should be somewhat realistic, otherwise people will not understand what you want to express. So maybe draw some drapery ( >:D hahaha ). Drapery is like hand and feet to many artists so it might not work the first time.

For the arm. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Aie1T92jBN...anatomy%2B.jpg
    You may want to use reference when drawing anatomy next time. It will propably look better.

For the value drawing. Great! Keep doing these and maybe try to understand what you are drawing. Think of the muscles underneath. And keep drawing what you see, not what you think you see.

And in everything you do. Keep questioning your work. Is this at the right angle? Is that value really this? Are those eyes really that far apart? If I draw a line straight up from the edges of this mouth where does it hit the eye? And where does it hit the eye in the reference? These kinda questions help improve everything.

Last edited by Martin Frank; August 6th, 2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: I used a wrong link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Female proportions maybe.jpg
Size:  95.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, you still didn't specify which arm looked weird. It's alright, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, I've been wanting redo my redo page for a while. The guy in the bed isn't exactly athletic, so I used my arm as reference since I'm lanky. Didn't quite get it right.

Comic art is pretty much just an exaggeration of real figures, some artists can get away with really weird proportions. The problem is is that the comic artist does not have full control of what the audience sees. Since the art is different than the norm, a lot of times it's up to the reader to figure out the art. It sucks because the audience might gloss over something important, it gets frustrating when they only pay attention to the story or dialogue, and almost never to the work put into the art.

There's also a ton more that goes into making comics than just the art. Besides the script, artists also have to think about the relationship between panels, the speech balloons, and in general how the reader's eyes travel around the page. Ah, when did I get the bright idea to not only be a comic artist, but a writer as well? I have to deal with how people I don't know interacting with my art. If they're not having fun with it, the comic could lose popularity and sales. Tough luck for any artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made it cartoony, not sure if that's bad or not.

Name:  Expressions maybe.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  201.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speedpaint of Ellen Page.
    Name:  Pagemaster.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  80.2 KB Name:  Ellen-Page-HD-Wallpaper.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  68.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oke. You are starting to do more realistic like work. And I think that is the way to go. Just some things to boost your progress. I think I'll be a bit hard on you now, but I think you need some changes. You stated that you were beyond the fundamentals. And thereby I assume you have done them so much that you don't want to do them anymore. And to tell you the hard truth, you don't have them mastered yet. And please don't go into the "f you, you dont understand, i'm going my own way" phase. If you do, fine. But take a look at your drawings. Hold them next to the reference. Do they look the same? Do the abs on the body really look like that. Does the reference photo of Ellen Page really look like that? I know its a speedpaint that still has to have measurements done (speeds btw good for proffs, not that good for learning). You got to develop an eye. A painters' eye (how we dutch peeps call it). Seeing what how something looks, drawing it like that and correcting it. Constantly correcting it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJXyEsakC8 will definitely do the informative part of this development and tells all the little mindsets we should have and things that are commonly done wrong. You don't have to watch it all, (I did and I found it informative but) try to atleast get to the statue back drawing. And I know you are prob not going to watch it but please do. Really do. Its not like I'm trying to stop you from taking a possible future place in the art industry. That would be absurt. So please listen.

Forget value for now. Forget everything you know about cartoons. All the stylized drawing skills you have. And start doing the most basic drawing you can possible think off. Take an object and draw it. Under some lamp. Make an accurate drawing. Take your time. You learn more from one 1 hour long drawing of a object. Than 4 quickly done inaccurate scetches of 5/10 minutes.
    Do the lineart first and do it like Noah does is his video (kinda forcin' ya here mate :D) and when its accurate ask someone else, does this look like that. And they'll maybe say: "Well these hips are a bit to wide." And you'll see that you made a measurement wrong and you correct it. Correct things when you see them. And then you'll make those measurements automatically. And slowly you'll start to do thing correct on the first try more often. And once you've done this enough, draw ellen page again. Same ref photo. And you'll see.

Now as always, we have a mindset a answer and a constructive answer. I am going to answer this as if I hadn't written the mindset thingy. I'm going in blancko. So here we go.

The anatomy painting with the back and front of the woman is not well drawn. And not so well lid. I can't show you the drawing part. Speaking of lighting it seems that the source of light is coming from the center of the boobs and a bit down (looking at the rendering you did on the boobs). Then why are the highlights on the abs on the lower part of it, and why is the head lid softly lid from the front then?

On the iritating thing about the comics. It is solved by having your comics have a balance between your style and realism. It has to be simular to realism enough to make it believable.

Great faces! And I love how you put the little smiley next to it :D I think >:( and :) are best drawn. It prob has to do with the head shape and the placement of the parts of the face.

Dayum she is fine :D. This again has to do with drawing skills. What you see not what you think you see.

- The (for you) left jaw (right for her) is at another angle. It is far more straight.
    - The darkness under that jaw does not fade. It stops.
    - You know negative space? If you do. Look at the negative space of the darkness from point two. And actually look at the darkness on the other side too. Under the curly part. Thats not same shape.
    - The distance from the hair to the shoulder is about the same as the edge of her face to her white teeth. Now try that same ratio on your drawing. Compare, measure, adjust and correct baby.
    - Her hand is pretty good. But on that tiny part of the painting you probably spend a lot of time. even though the face should have gotten that attention.
    - The arm is like a tube. Lid from the top. Is that really how it looks like?
    - The thing she is leaning on is pretty much a straight box. Try to draw it straight.
    - The more white part above her hand. Is that really that big? It is like 2 times to big.
    - There is more where this came from.

I am focusing more on drawing than on value. Because I think thats more important at the moment.
    And I am not pointing out any mistakes to disencourage you. But many artists claim you need to train two sets of skills for improvement. Training your drawings skills and training your eye. And they follow each other. I am trying to train your eye, to make you consciousness of your mistakes. Drawing will then follow.

Again. Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJXyEsakC8. (not if you already have, but more as a reminder). And to finnish this long writing time. A bit of peotry. Sort off, A dutch saying: "Do not give up what you want now for what you want most". So do not focus on things you can, focus on what you cannot. Becouse you will be far more happy with the endresult if you do so.

Cheers.
    Martin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I am not going to make my future posts that big as this one covers most of my approach and mindset like advice. They just take to much time (this one again 2 hours). Prob only the structual part and a bit shorter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I like is that you're helping me with finding direction in art. Relatives, friends, and peers all wanted to study science or music, only a handful were ever serious and passionate about art. It really sucks when trying to find where I stand in skill, and all I get is a "it looks good". I could rely on myself to make progress, but unfortunately, I'm one of those people that, often than not, have to be guided. Don't know if it's a result of my upbringing or plain chance in personality, always, I've been able to start hobbies, but I could only progress if someone helped me. That's my glass cage there. In a way, it makes me sad. I'm trying to be so independent and find my own motivation, this time in art, but the quest for that independence ends up hurting me.

So I really do take your advice because that's been the most recent beacon for me. You have a budding insight on art critique. But to be honest, I feel guilty that you put in this amount of time and effort to comfort a guy who had one panic attack. I wouldn't have been comfortable with that situation. Thank you.

And back to comics, I'd politely disagree to the notion of one solution to controlling the expressiveness in comics. Balancing realism and style has been done and worked, but I don't think it's the only way. Check out Jack Kirby's style messing with what we know about composition: (you may need to zoom out) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sticfour72.jpg

I'd recommend you take a look at it before hearing my analysis, if you'd like to read on; the focal point is the Silver Surfer, with zoom lines, his arms, and his central position indicating as such. But, this happened to me and it's different for everyone, the first thing I focused on was the background. It is so interesting! Focusing on the background first, I argue that that brings out a silent narrative. I first saw the dismal, shocking plane with a foreboding villain setting the tone. Evil is imminent. But then everything points to the surfer, the focal point. To me, that translated as: the world is evil and the surfer has to fight it. If I had noticed the surfer first, it would have said to me: here's the surfer, looks like he's fighting this evil world this time. I'm not too sure if there is a language barrier here, but noticing the background made me feel like the setting of the issue was its own entity, that it's powerful and prominent. Noticing the surfer first makes me think that it's the adventures of the Silver Surfer, and that the evil world is just another stop along the way. I personally like my first interpretation since I chose to be a comic book writer as well and I have a giant spiel about the importance of setting. It's not the same for everyone, though. But still, Kirby was arguably the biggest pioneer of comic book art, and this style rocked artists and readers alike because he toyed around with our minds (well, at least mine). I could go on about comic books, but that's the realm of professionals. We have to keep drawing to get to their level, don't we?

C'est la vie.

P.S. I read your latest post on you sketchbook. You don't know how jealous I am that you have a Cintiq now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Objects around my desk. I did try to email this to friends, and I tried to get them to find faults, but they all felt inept to critique a sketch, and didn't want to hurt my feelings. That hurt my feelings.
    Name:  Deskjob.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  59.9 KB
    I realize now that they're all from different perspectives yet mashed up so close. Sorry for the confusion, but I personally don't care about the relationship between the objects, I just want to focus on the three separately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem, I would rather focus on one individual than on a whole bunch. But that is personal. And yes, the panic attack was a bit of a trigger.

On the realism side, I think you don't understand what I ment. In order to draw a bed in a cartoon it must represent what we think as a bed, in order to make it read. And so I also mean, that silver guy has to represent human anatomy at some level in order to make it believable. And it does. But playing with composition is good.

Great, great, great. I still recommend you drawing these without value and really taking your time, but this is already great. Try to match your future drawings with the controller. Because thats the one I think is the best.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, you're right, I didn't understand what you meant by realism. I took it as a stylistic method instead of for its structures.

To me, inputting a fair amount of realism would result in this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Lee_(2002).png

Using realism in moderation would be this: http://www.vector-eps.com/wp-content...er-vector2.jpg

The thing is, having figures and buildings be correct in structure and values is so inherent to comic art that I thought you meant it stylistically. Sorry, my bad. Now things seem a bit clearer. Oops, looks like that was a mistake on my part.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More things around my desk.
    Name:  1082014.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  43.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following