Thanks

Tetraktys - Colour 1.1

Hello,

One of the best lessons I have had recently and continue to repeat to myself is to keep an active mind, and be mindful of what it is I am drawing or painting, to really observe and learn, otherwise I am just mindlessly copying.

I feel I did not have an active mind whilst doing this and did not feel I learnt anything about the light and shadow systems which is of a waste of time. It is one of the most important lessons and I feel this mistake is helping me to correct myself. I gotta learn something or I am not growing and developing.

MASS LIGHT: Big overall shape of light, establishing local value and building up the lights. The overall value of the light is mid tone, no where near white.

HALF TONE: I tried to observe the subtle plane changes, really hard to see.

HIGHLIGHTS: tip of the mountain, single hits of light on the peak of form or reflected from the glossy specularity of the eyeball. sometimes I noticed beads of sweat that created speckles of highlights across the surface of the skin in the light.

MASS SHADOW: Keep my lights light and my darks dark

REFLECT LIGHT: Noticed some fantastic reflected light, especially some Radiosity from the skin of my neck onto my double chin.

CORE SHADOW: I have always had tremendous difficulty seeing the subtle core shadows so I implied what I thought was there in areas like the cheek.

CAST SHADOW: Very difficult to see the value of the edges of the cast shadows as I look into the light and the cast shadow, especially the cast shadow of the nose. Maybe I should observe It in my peripherals in my black and white receptors. I think I read somewhere that in the centre of the eye are colour receptors and everywhere else there are black and white receptors so you can see values clearer in your peripherals I think.

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  40.2 KB

This was a fantastic exercise, thank you for viewing my portrait.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    when you get to this stage hold your eyes on the focal area and view the edges of the rest of what you are painting while looking in peripheral vision. This will keep you from going overboard on sharp edges as your eyes comb around the piece and around the mirror or reference. It will also give the viewer a better sense of it all when they rest their eyes on the focal area.

jm

Thanks
    Thankyou Jason

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tetraktys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts