Paul Jay Nicholson - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Paul Jay Nicholson - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Paul Jay Nicholson - Composition 1.1

Hi

This is my first post on this forum so please excuse me if I have done anything incorrectly. This has been a really challenging but fun exercise to do and I look forward to completing more over the next few weeks (I'm aiming for one a day if I can).

I decided to choose one of my favourite painters of the 20th Century - Edward Hopper, for my first piece. His study, Gas, has always had such a lonely charm to it. Hopper seems to have deliberately placed the centre of interest in the middle of the study - drawing the eye to the guy attending the gas pumps. Yet there is a large amount of focal fall off around the painting - the eye moves to the small store to the right of the painting and then to the forest in the background. To me it seems as if the artist has deliberately emphasised the man and the gas pumps in the foreground whilst leaving off detail for the elements all around him.

Anyway I submit this piece and look forward to feedback and criticism.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. This is my second attempt. I worked on this for just under two hours. It's a study of Peter Paul Rubens 'Head Of a Boy from 1601

I noticed on this work that Rubens had concentrated most of the detail on the main triangle of the face - the features of the eyes, nose, down to the mouth. This seems to be the main centre of interest in the painting. There was less detail on the hair and clothing which was represented a simpler blocks of tone and even less on the background.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 11,129 Times in 2,678 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your shapes are looking great and these are drawn out very well. Your values must get even closer for you to achieve the same mood and lighting feel. Just double and triple check your values and be sure to note the lightest lights and darkest darks, and you should be able to easily gauge the others as you work.

Keep up the great work.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 12