EOW Round #235: The Chamber - (Winner: popicok)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW Round #235: The Chamber - MULTIVOTE

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • MannionJJ

6 37.50%
  • popicok

11 68.75%
  • LnF

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TOPIC: The Chamber
    suggested by saintspeed

This topic is open-ended!

The chamber as in a room, enclosure or cell area.

Thanks to saintspeed for the topic suggestion.

Brief:
    1. Design an environment that adheres to the topic/theme.
    2. You must post at least once in this W.I.P. thread to be included in the finals thread for the voting poll.

Deadline: August 2, 2014

Congrats to BlindLynx and CrookedHorn for winning EOW #233!

Post your final entries in this thread.

-

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Popikok for the feedback. You were right, it didn't look as good. My image is based around the story that ancient monks from a temple in the high mountains have mystical powers that want to be harvested by society for medicine and technology in the modern world. This means the monks are being kept under tight security in the chambers of their temple whilst under thorough examination from a classified government project hence the guards and CCTV cameras:

Last edited by MannionJJ; August 2nd, 2014 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good - I like the concept, the light and the big gong. I'm not sure about the blurriness on the left guardian figure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Chamber

When Arianna met the Marquis while holidaying in Ravenna, she couldn't believe her luck. He was so debonair! So attentive! He had a castle (of sorts) and old family money, that was sure. And he seemed so interested in her, so sympathetic to the loss of her family, so supportive. He told her he'd been married before and had his heart broken, but she was different. When he suggested marriage, she didn't hesitate, and how delightful that he wanted to tie the knot before the holiday ended, he was that keen. he had no family either, so it was quiet, and they moved into the castle that night. In the morning he had to go away on business, he told her she could explore the castle to her hearts content until he came back, he just asked to not to disturb his private chamber. Arianna had learnt to pick Yale locks as a student, so not much stopped her explorations, but it was a big castle, and so she didn't get into that last room until much later, when she could already hear his car on the drive ..

Name:  EoW-235-Chamber-900.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  421.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Chamber of Magic -

Welcome to the Chamber of Magic the largest magic library in the world and the best place for learning all kinds of witchcraft.
    You arrived just in time to watch the fire spell lesson performed by one of our wizards! Enjoy!

Sketch Book :
    My Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry not to see some of the other entries finished as well, was looking forward to it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crap. I just voted from myself unintentionally. It wont let me undo my vote so is there any way I can give my vote to popicok? Sincerest apologies it was a genuine mistake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool stuff guys, I was hoping there would be more entries to choose from, the interesting things is, each of the three entries is of a completely different genre. That really put me as a viewer in a tight spot to choose because to compare becomes harder.

At the end it came down to what story really engrossed me the most. Awesome job all you guys especially popicok.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries JJ & thanks for the thought!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Sidval, thanks! I was hoping to see some of the others too, Grotski's butlers chamber looked really good, and the 20's room from Ananda C was looking atmospheric, and the waterfall cavern monster idea from Dayle ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work guys, though I'm disappointed to only see three entries, I've taken part in EOWs in the past with 14-15 entrants haha

Mannion - Nice image, I find it a bit difficult to really follow what is happening. I think you've hit the colours well, you can tell it's an interior lit by warm light. If I were you I'd work a little bit on composition, choose a couple focal points which relate to each other to draw the viewer in, and maybe try a perspective grid (you'll find hundreds of perspective grid brushes) online to fix the perspective. Good work . I'd also look at a couple of lighting books, the one I recommend most is James Gurney's Colour and Light, as the light in your image wouldn't necessarily be so defined (the line that splits black and light).

Popikok - Interesting piece, I get a very dark souls vibe and quite like the stylised look you've gone for- you got my vote. If I were you I'd keep working on perspective and anatomy a little bit, and start spending more time detailing bits. Start with a big canvas and lay out a composition, then detail the important bits, right now I feel there is a similar level of detail through out the image and it could use more definition. If you want some good advice for environments, Feng Zhu's videos on YouTube are an excellent place to look. I find his videos extremely helpful. Good Job

LnF - I like the way you've arranged the image, you clearly have a concept artists brain in that you can picture a shot. I say keep working on the basics, keep drawings, keep sketching (traditionally and digitally). I think your piece is missing a few hours really, add in some textures, spend time thinking about how the light would work, be careful of repetition, look for implied detail etc. When you draw, keep zooming in and out and flipping the image, it helps you see the overall balance of it. Again I recommend looking at some of Feng Zhu's tutorials on YouTube as they are brilliant. I like this piece I think you just need to spend more time working on it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snafu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Snafu! Good advice. Totally with you on Feng Zhu, I think he's brilliant. Watching his vids always makes me want to get back to drawing again. There's a new one just up on thumbnailing!
    http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.co.uk/

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook