COW #327: Tiny Sparkling Life Giver - VOTING!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Pick your favourite Life Giver!

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • porcupine

13 54.17%
  • mariofernandes

0 0%
  • Bobby Rebholz

2 8.33%
  • scorge

5 20.83%
  • cartoonliquid

0 0%
  • JeanFumero

1 4.17%
  • Grotski

3 12.50%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 652 Posts
    Follows
    Following

VOTING IS NOW OPEN! Please vote for which entry you feel best adheres to the topic's brief and requirements, based on the concept's design, creativity, execution, etc!
    If you have submitted an entry to this thread please refrain from voting for your own entries. I will deduct your vote from your entry if you do so.
    In the event of a multi-vote round please avoid voting for more than 3 or 4 entries. Votes won't be deducted if you do so, but keep in mind your vote is essentially wasted if you decide to vote for every single entry.
    You may critique and comment on the submitted entries if you like. As long as you play nice!

Round Requirements:
    -Creature is very small, we're talking no larger than your fingernail
    -must sparkle in some way
    -this creature has the capabililty to give life to something or someone that has died, try to depict this ability in some way

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; July 31st, 2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Lazarus Fruitscorpion

Life giving insect discovered in Borneo.

A small amphibious creature that seems to harness the secret to eternal life was recently discovered in the depth of the Borneo Rainforest.

Still waiting for a scientific name, the Lazarus Fruitscorpion produces a serum that miraculously restores life when injected into a newly deceased human.

The fruitscorpion lives solely from eating fruit from the Tarap tree, and use their flexible tails to stab the ripe fruits before they digest them. To date it is unknown why they do it, since it seems to have little effects on the fruits.

The active substances of the serum deteriorate in seconds outside the fruitscorpion’s body, so the only way to use its powers is by having it stab the patient. Scientists have still not managed to get an active sample of the serum to analyze the components, and they are raising a stern warning that the serum should under no circumstances be used on human subjects until it has undergone a very extensive testing period! Despite this, reports of resurrections are appearing from all over the world.

As a result, Borneo has been target to a full blown invasion, where explorers ranging from official government envoys and scientific expeditions to guerillas, poachers and gold diggers are pouring into the jungle from all directions.

Sarah B. Saunders – The Explorer

Name:  cow_327_tiny_lifegiver.png
Views: 419
Size:  465.8 KB

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mario fernandes - life giver - final

Artist: mariofernandes

Concept: Tchutchumiko life giver

Description:

The tchutchumiko is a rare and shy insectoid creature found in planet Rolos. It is rarely seen and therefore associated with many myths. His diet consists of poisoned nectar which makes it seemingly regenerate or bring plants to life. The detritus produced from his diet composes an excellent soil fertilizer making this creature key in the ecology of his planet.

Name:  lifegiver 04 -cow  final.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  426.6 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mariofernandes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Bobby rebholz

Concept: Erue

Humans are destroying current and undiscovered species at an alarming rate. Within the past couple of years, a strange and fascinating creature has emerged almost out of nowhere. These tiny creatures have the ability to reincarnate recently deceased animals as a means to preserve certain species on planet Earth. These tiny life givers are thought to live in a separate dimension and have thrown the religious and scientific community into a frenzy.

Last edited by Bobby Rebholz; July 30th, 2014 at 02:54 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 423 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: scorge

Concept: Tiny Sparkling Life Giver

They first appeared when the dying off of bees was brought to the world's attention. Thought to be from another planet perhaps, or maybe an evolutionary answer running parallel to the development of bees for the singular purpose of keeping the world balanced, these tiny creatures have the ability to harness the molecular matter to reanimate the bees for two days. While the bee's life is no longer natural, the new "life" given by the Life Giver allows them to contribute their much needed talents for a short while longer.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: cartoonliquid

Concept: Thapos Species

Thapos, smaller than a fingernail, even smaller than a grain of salt, is Blooe's natural solution to organically bringing people back from the brink of oblivion.

Name:  COW_327-Tiny_Sparkling_Life_Giver_Concept_Brochure-by_Cartoonliquid_Page_1_.png
Views: 375
Size:  1.15 MBName:  COW_327-Tiny_Sparkling_Life_Giver_Concept_Brochure-by_Cartoonliquid_Page_2_.png
Views: 371
Size:  851.4 KBName:  COW_327-Tiny_Sparkling_Life_Giver_Concept_Brochure-by_Cartoonliquid_Page_3_.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  129.0 KBName:  COW_327-Tiny_Sparkling_Life_Giver_Concept_Brochure-by_Cartoonliquid_Page_4_.png
Views: 368
Size:  960.5 KB

Last edited by cartoonliquid; July 31st, 2014 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JeanFumero

Concept: Tiny Sparkling Life GiverFloral Tick

Some kind of divine insect born from a flower, when it bites, it can infuse someone with the flower life energy, loosing his life in the process.

Name:  Life Giver Gouache 1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  148.3 KB

Last edited by JeanFumero; July 31st, 2014 at 09:27 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeanFumero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright folks, the new topic has been posted, and on account of me not posting the finals early I'm gonna give a few hours grace on this topic, pretty much whenever I wake up in the morning the topic will be closed and the poll will be posted!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Turns out i lucked out then Rob as i totally forgot about the hand in, here's my final!

The trauma beetle or Navalibus Bruchus :
    This creature rubs together its wing covers in order to produce static charge which is then stored inside the natural capacitors on its back. It uses this to bring back to life small animals that recently died in order to feed off the memories of the hereafter that linger in their brains

Name:  Final.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  215.0 KB

Good luck to you all!

Last edited by Grotski; July 31st, 2014 at 07:55 AM.
    Damn. Colour is hard.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Grotski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is up after a bit of a delay. Was a slow start to this topic but a decent turnout in the end. Bobby and scorge blew this out of the park once again, great rendering and designs. My vote went to Bobby Rebholz after pretty much flipping a coin (not really but it was close).

No Cuts This Week

Close To Rejection
    cartoonliquid: the creature's design is a little bit unclear, not too mention I get you wanted to showcase the creature a certain way, but keep in mind sometimes less is more. You could've easily given us the same concept without multiple panels of information with just a concept image and perhaps a paragraph or two in the description giving us the information you provided with lots of text in the image. In an art contest sometimes a lot of reading isn't so much a good idea, though it does ellaborate on the creature's design. In the end I decided to let you into the poll anyways since you obviously put a lot of thought into this and the creature's design though slightly unclear was still somewhat visible.

JeanFumero: It's a little hard to tell if it is actually sparkly, but since this was done in a traditional watercolour, penalizing you for being able to paint something that is pretty much impossible to paint in watercolour is a bit unreasonable. It would've also been nice if you gave us something for scale as initially it looks small but not that small. Also watch the cropping as I can still see the edges of the sketchbook, but once again excluding you is a little unreasonable since it is barely visible in the image.

Summary: It seems a few people had some issues with the 'sparkling' part of the brief. Keep in mind if there is something that gives you a bit of grief when painting it is best to slow down and look at some reference. Try to do a study or two to give yourself a process for painting it, or try to look up a tutorial to see how other artists would paint it. Overall I was a being quite lenient for this round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a really hard time deciding who to vote for.

Bobby Rebholz and Scorges creatures were both beautifully rendered with original designs but they suffer from the same problem i think, since the animals being resurected looks like animals who themselves already are as big as a fingernail or bigger, the creatures just look too large to fit the brief.

In the end I went for Grotski, since the idea of a creature with that large body and thin legs must put it to be very small for the legs to support the body, and I enjoyed the brief about feeding off memories.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like Scorge Illustration a lot, but porcupine creature the most, I like the design of the limbs and how the sice is explained.

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook