Is this course for me?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Is this course for me?

Hello! I was just visiting this site for the first time and came across the workshops that are available and I'm considering taking it.

However, I'm a little skeptical, thinking it might not be for me. Here's a little of my background:

I've been drawing traditionally my whole life, strictly graphite and I've gotten pretty good. I realize it's extremely difficult to find a career with just traditional art so I've been looking into photoshop. Maybe something along the lines of a video game concept artist. I've been watching some of Matt Khor's videos and learning little by little, but still don't feel confident enough to really tackle it head on.

The reason I'm worried about taking this course is because my original plan was to put in scanned work, mix traditional with digital, since I'm really sloppy on the tablet.

I feel as though my skills with traditional art would go to waste if I were just to abandon it.

I don't know. Maybe I just need a little push.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,634 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do the Start program - it's free, so you have nothing to lose. I'm doing it 100% traditionally as that's where I want to go. Course is the same either way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So does this course go into photoshop? Or is it just the fundamentals of light and color, and composition.

What I mean is, do we learn how to use photoshop tools to design different things like textures of mountains and shining armor etc. ?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,289 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can use traditional media. In fact, we encourage that everyone does. There is no better way to learn than traditional media as digital is piece of cake after that and pencils are always easy to come by.

Regarding the program, you can focus in any area you wish. The first part of the program covers composition, design, color, a bit of anatomy, drawing, portrait and head studies, light, form, edges, value, and shape. Once you get through foundations it is designed to help you with just about any way of working that you wish, visual arts wise.

Regarding how to use photoshop, there is some sharing of knowledge there and the community and I will point you in the right directions. I believe there are soem photoshop videos from youtube posted up in the resource library too.

We are bringing in a 3d guru to do some zbrush stuff too...which has not yet been announced but I am excited for.

Best,

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Level up doesn't include lessons in digital painting, for that you're better off seeking out online tuts (you're off to a great start with Matt Kohr). Try some of the freebie level up stuff and see how that goes, sticking with default brushes like the hard round and soft round - you don't need to know a lot about digital painting, just the basics. But if you're not comfortable painting digitally yet you might want to get that in hand before starting on the paid section of level up. That's assuming you do want to approach it digitally (at least in part).

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterLopes View Post
    So does this course go into photoshop? Or is it just the fundamentals of light and color, and composition.

What I mean is, do we learn how to use photoshop tools to design different things like textures of mountains and shining armor etc. ?
    Good suggestion. At the moment no, but can definitely be added as part of the workshop, in stage 2 or 3.

Chief Technology Officer of ConceptArt.org
    Latest Site News | Submit a bug/feature | Ask a question

Did you know?
    You can drag and drop your artwork into posts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have recently started on the path of a (hopefully) a career in concept art and before I start my UNI course in September have been watching all the videos I can online to give me a better idea of what's ahead. One of the best sites is http://www.ctrlpaint.com/. It has everything from beginner to accomplished artists moving from traditional to digital. I hope you find it as useful as I have.
    Have a great day.
    Pete

Members who have read this thread: 21