Results 1 to 13 of 87
Thread: CHOW #358 :: The K9 King
July 28th, 2014 #1
CHOW #358 :: The K9 King
Character of the Week #358
The K9 King
Deadline - Sunday, August 10th 10PM GMT
A parade is held every year at the kingdom of Woof. All the people of the kingdom show up to cheer on the participants. The most anticipated participant in the parade is the king him self. He always shows up in such shiny armor, it is a grand sight to see.
This week you need to design the K9 King in Shiny Armor!
- Must be HUMANOID/k9
- Must be wearing shining armor
- Must include the kingdom insignia (of your own design), on a flag/banner which the king carries.
- You MAY do a queen instead if you wish
- Background's Permitted, but don't forget what the focus is!
- Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline
- Final post must include the CHoW # and the artists username at the bottom of the image within, at least, a footer bar(TYPED, NOT WRITTEN)
- At least 3/4 of the character must be visible. No back views are allowed without a front please.
- Only ONE character please.
- Sketches or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll
- No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work
- At least two wips posted with your final in the finals thread
- NO ENVIRONMENT BACKGROUNDS! You may use simple shapes,gradients or silhouettes
- Please read through the thread for any posts made by the mod. They likely answered a question that was asked about the challenge!
- Have fun!
Hide this ad by registering as a memberJuly 28th, 2014 #2
"Must be HUMANOID/k9"
I take it this means some kind of lycanthrope / dog man / Worgen figure?
The use of "k9" makes me think I am missing a reference to something else, the only other time I have seen it put like that is for the robotic dog in doctor who.
July 28th, 2014 #3
I think you're on the right track.
Human form with dog features... You could probably push the boundaries a little either way and you'll be fine, just as long as you still tell it's human. I think Havok used "K9" because it combined well with "King." I could be wrong though.
This brief sounds like it could be really fun and really open to interpretation too, which I'm sure will get people's creative juices flowing.
Here's my first batch of thumbnails. I'm digging the hairy dogs at the moment.
Last edited by thefro3po; July 28th, 2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: No double posting...“Only those who attempt the absurd…will achieve the impossible.”
July 28th, 2014 #4
What? lol, guys... k9 = canine, as in a dog..I was just being lazy. So Moirae, it pretty much needs to be a humanoid dog. I hope this clears that up.
July 29th, 2014 #5
July 29th, 2014 #6
@thefro3po love them all, especially the power coming from C and D!
Just a sketch to get things started. Haven't quite figured out what I want to do with the rest of her outfit but this is my Japanese inspired Akita empress. Any feedback/ideas would be awesome!
July 29th, 2014 #7
Thanks Savannah. I like the sultry vibe so far. I'd see what different ways you can position the banner/pole for different effects. Keep it up.
“Only those who attempt the absurd…will achieve the impossible.”
July 29th, 2014 #8
Aside from Shiba Inu and Siberian Husky dog breeds, I think Corgis are at my number one spot! (HAIL EIN OF COWBOY BEBOP!)
Here's my take on the K9 King (sketch), don't judge him by his size and cuteness though! He's not the king for nothing! Ask those who never lived to tell the tale (what?) of the Mad Dog King or the Mutt with a Hundred Swords guy or the Fangs of Dangerous Despair Dog so on and so forth aliases.
Oh this is gonna be fun!
July 29th, 2014 #9
I love messing around with this concept. It feels very playful. I have work this morning, but I'll definitely have some sketches by tonight.
July 29th, 2014 #10
Wow, forums have changed! I´m going to try to join the challenges here more.
good ideas here already!
This piece (Dave Rapoza) will serve as my inspiration I think. One of my favorite rapoza pieces.
July 29th, 2014 #11
I'd like to post my initial sketch as both a cautionary tale and for comedic value. I drew this in a cafe after I read the theme of the new challenge. In case it isn't uncomfortably obvious: no canine reference was used to create this... thing. Onward and upward though. I'll start again. Good luck, everybody.
July 29th, 2014 #12
The Following User Says Thank You to Montgomery! For This Useful Post:
July 29th, 2014 #13
Evening all. I've chosen A Tibetan Mastiff for my King's breed. Having a play with shapes and colours.
Portfolio ~ www.jackhammerart.com ~