Worthless comments

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Worthless comments

I've noticed this dubious trend going on on CA recently. And by trend a mean the act of litterling Sketchbooks with absolutley meaningless praise and "encouragement" comments.
    I think there is nothing wrong with complimenting the artist on a piece of work which is well done, but the comments i am referring to are to be found under nearly everything in the JPEG format. Even pieces with glaring issues aren't spared from this drivel. I really enjoy browsing through new sketches but half of the time a Sketchbook gets bumped it's because of some unwarranted praise and not the addition of new work or a constructive critique.

So a question to the CA veterans: was it always an ass-patting-parade like this?

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant.

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's more noticeable as there aren't as many posts on a daily basis. I feel a SB crit week coming on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm one of the dorks doing exactly that :p
    But honestly, what the majority see of mistakes I don't simply because I'm still too untrained, so to me when something looks good... it looks good! Non-artists see mine as good where those acquainted with doing art themselves usually facepalm and shake their heads I guess.
    Now, I'm getting into art again for the 74673465th time now and I go to FB and 'like' the images posted there. But in general, when I see something I think is cool, it is my honest opinion at the time and would like to express it. Even if the rendering might be waaaayyyyy off, the idea might be one of the more exciting and I'm the kind of person who likes to express positive stuff so geh...
    Ironically, I understand the problem since it has annoyed me too.

It could be cool if there was a feature where you could categorize your posts as OP-update and critique for bumping, and then praise for non-bumping. Maybe even have those tier-like display they have on reddit so the 'irrelevant to other visitors' posts are hidden?
    At least I'd be sad if I can't go to whatever image/sketchbook I like and express I like it. Generally more negative than positive is expressed publicly on the internet, and I see this place to be more of a positive loaded place. Would hate to see if that went away

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lighten up a bit. If you feel like an artist is getting their ego stroked too much, just give them a nice constructive thrashing yourself. The problem with art communities usually isnt that there are too many nice comments but that criticism isnt given or accepted by the community at large. Dont see that happening here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trixtar, even someone starting out can see things that are wrong. Try looking at everything with a critical eye and think hard as to how it might be improved. This not only helps the person's art, but helps you as well by improving your judgement and making you consider how to solve problems. Now if people are posting studies and improving with each one, yes, encouraging sounds should be made, but are they avoiding still lives, colour etc. You then can ask if they have considered doing any because it might help.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trixtar, even someone starting out can see things that are wrong. Try looking at everything with a critical eye and think hard as to how it might be improved. This not only helps the person's art, but helps you as well by improving your judgement and making you consider how to solve problems. Now if people are posting studies and improving with each one, yes, encouraging sounds should be made, but are they avoiding still lives, colour etc. You then can ask if they have considered doing any because it might help.
    I have always wondered how it would come across if I started to critique someone just a bit? I mean, you are right that sometimes I do see things that are off but always reach the conclusion 'ey, that's probably just me since nobody else seem to notice' or 'someone more entitled to say something should say it instead'.
    Does this forum has a thread on how to be an absolute (eternal) noob but still contribute constructively to the community? Or maybe I should start that thread myself when I have more time. Thanks for the input though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    I have always wondered how it would come across if I started to critique someone just a bit? I mean, you are right that sometimes I do see things that are off but always reach the conclusion 'ey, that's probably just me since nobody else seem to notice' or 'someone more entitled to say something should say it instead'.
    Does this forum has a thread on how to be an absolute (eternal) noob but still contribute constructively to the community? Or maybe I should start that thread myself when I have more time. Thanks for the input though
    If you see something post a critique. CA turns to DA if everybody is too scared to post. If you can see something wrong others probably can too and the Original Poster might not see the mistake and keep making it. I'm guilty of thinking this too so I'm not one to talk.

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think one of the most valuable things I experienced while attending College was learning how to critique and take criticism. It's easy in this community for people to hold back and tread lightly so as not to offend anyone, but when your in a room face to face with 20 of your peers the last thing you want to hear is each person saying how much they love your work. As artists we seek each other out in order to collectively improve our abilities, and we as individuals don't improve unless the community holds us to a higher standard and tells us honestly and constructively what we can do to make our work better.

I have never known what to do with praise, as you say it falls in the realm of "worthless comments". Sure; the ego in me likes to step back and see that others appreciate, enjoy, or are inspired by work that I've done, but I would much rather hear why you think my piece failed, technically or conceptually, than to endure meaningless compliments.

It's difficult to know what level of dismantling criticism people are prepared for when they post something for critique, but in the aim of fostering a community of professional and aspiring professional artists I think we should all aspire to be as constructively blunt and honest as possible, while avoiding flowery praise.

-In the name of progress; onward and upward; to infinity and beyond, and stuff like that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Penhyll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are indeed very good reasons to do more than just 'Your art is awesome ' Hell if I want this to be DA!

But I came to think of last time I was here like 1½ years ago or so. There were people who whined about not enough people viewed/commented on their sketchbooks and the general advice given was in fact to go visit the sketchbooks of others and throw a comment. If the only purpose is to get visitors to your own stuff I guess a lot would just write short random kiss-butt-notes that would mass bump?

I will at least try and contribute more constructively, but I was thinking if instead of critiquing the skills, can I then give some constructive feedback on my overall impression of it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trixtar Check out the stickies in the Critique forum - tons of great tips there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am now gonna be a regular visitor to the critique section to learn both own art skills and to give/receive critique

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That ending question in the opening post just made the you seem really arrogant and condescending.

I get the idea that people seem to think CA is "big kid" territory and that only silly "little kids" would give out innocuous compliments. There's no need to look down on anyone in contempt.

I agree with Benedikt's post. CA is open to critiques, and anyone who isn't simply doesn't belong here yet. There are plenty of people, like myself, who give out critiques when they have time.

You can just call me Cam.
    My Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Cam View Post
    That ending question in the opening post just made the you seem really arrogant and condescending.

I get the idea that people seem to think CA is "big kid" territory and that only silly "little kids" would give out innocuous compliments. There's no need to look down on anyone in contempt.

I agree with Benedikt's post. CA is open to critiques, and anyone who isn't simply doesn't belong here yet. There are plenty of people, like myself, who give out critiques when they have time.
    Like i said, i think there is nothing wrong with giving compliments to good work, as long as it's not excessive. And if you think of my perception, that giving out praise to every piece of work, good or bad, is worthless and makes the compliments completely void, as being arrogant and condescending - so be it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    if you think of my perception, that giving out praise to every piece of work, good or bad, is worthless and makes the compliments completely void, as being arrogant and condescending - so be it.
    No, I thought
    So a question to the CA veterans: was it always an ass-patting-parade like this?
    was arrogant and condescending of you. I didn't personally have a problem with the rest of your comment despite disagreeing with it.

It wasn't phrased like an honest question, it was phrased like you were asking "Has this site always been shit, or is this a recent development?". Yeah, it came off arrogant and condescending.

My Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It wasn't phrased like an honest question, it was phrased like you were asking "Has this site always been shit, or is this a recent development?". Yeah, it came off arrogant and condescending.

Well, it was an honest question even if you feel that it wasn't phrased like one. I wanted to know if this style of commenting was a trend that has been started only recently or if it has always been like this. I value this site and think that the time i take to browse through various threads is well spent even with the comments i'd consider as being drivel. 'Ass-patting-parade' was used by me to describe the said meaningless comments, not to disparage CA.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like I remember just as many compliments and a greater degree of idol-like worship back in the old days when there were more users in general, so no, it's not new. Critiquing takes a lot of time and thought, and many people don't feel comfortable critiquing the work of people who have a lot more experience than them. That means there's either going to be a few critiques and a bunch of compliments, or a few critiques and silence. I like to have the occasional comment on my sketchbook even if just to know people are looking at it - otherwise, why post at all? And hey, I like getting compliments.

Yeah, more critiques would be great. People should contribute if they can. But no one is making you read the compliment posts. Just skip them - you should be able to tell within a millisecond if a comment is a critique or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if I count as a CA veteran, and if I am then some might say I was on the wrong side of the war. As for your question, no, it wasn't always like that. I wouldn't say, though, that how it was was always good.

A lot of the time there was a culture of negativity here, with amateur artists looking for any excuse to smear art made by others (even if it was better than anything they themselves could do) because that seemed to be a way of getting oneself noticed, and often people felt that they made themselves look better by making others look worse. All the while they could excuse it as "because I was trying to help."

I certainly wasn't above the trend, even though I like to think that I was giving good advice at the time and knew the subjects well enough to give said advice. I still was caught up in that type of mentality, though; it rubbed off on a lot of us and caused us to bicker, snap, and get angry about things that would not have gotten so ugly at times if we had just talked them out and been able to be friendly and civil about them.

So, if you want better crits&advice get better artists to give them. But don't go complaining just because people are saying nice things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Peter - Hmm was that around the time of the great collapse of CA? I feel like I remember that as being one of the contributing factors. I wasn't around much at that time though.

I wonder how much socio-psychological/political research you could gather from the cycles of online communities. I always think it's interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    Peter - Hmm was that around the time of the great collapse of CA? I feel like I remember that as being one of the contributing factors. I wasn't around much at that time though.
    "great collapse" hmm, not familiar with the terminology. What I do know is that there was some terse words between a lot of us, I think somewhere around '09/'10. (can't remember for certain when it was.) Lets just say that the "critique" that cropped up was about something other than art. I certainly wasn't above that shit, neither were a lot of folks arguing on both sides of an issue that now is old news.

The fact that I'm here again means there has been at least a measure of forgiveness on both sides. I'm hoping that some of the others who left (or were forced to leave) might show up again as well. The place seems a bit quiet compared to the way it was, and I hate thinking that the shit we did then has something to do with that now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is so wrong with praise? Meaningless? Seems you have a very cyinical attitude to what in my eyes, amounts to positive encouragement. Lots of artists especially ones early in their learning suffer from huge confidence issues. All they need is some encouragment and a bit of praise with some crits thrown in. Most will strive to improve and will take crits on board even if they sometimes hurt a little. The thing that I believe is vital to someone growing, is a sense of worth and some self belief. If all they got were crits then they would likely lose heart. I'm all for the positivity and the crits, I want my fellow artist to feel good about themselves.

Everything has value some people just can't see it.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a bit of a cultural thing as well I think. Tiggeraz is from Germany, as I am. I have noticed that in German speaking groups on facebook, for instance, praise or positive comments are extremely rare. More than that, people will go out of their way to critizise even if the artist they're critizising is a lot more skilled than they are. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but the comments tend to be of a somewhat nit-picky variety. I have only ever received critiques that were absolutely bonkers and completely unconstructive from other german speaking people (not often of course, but it has happened), never someone from the UK or US. I don't know why we tend to do that. The US is the exact opposite, I think; an almost overbearing positive, optimistic attitude is something that I mostly notice with people from there. It can, in some cases, be equally bad as a harsh, negative attitude, e.g. when reinforcing bad habits or a lack of fundamentals (see deviantart).

I am not saying that Tiggeraz is being mean or overly critical, just that he may be used to this typically german/ western european(?) attitude.

To be honest, I think most of CA is the best of both worlds. People saying nice things without being overly superficial (generally people are being praised for good work/making progress and not for "drawing cute things" or the"right kind of fanart") & people getting their ass kicked if it needs kicking. What more do you want?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I completely agree with the Bri in the Sky, these 'worthless comments' and 'meaningless praise' are far from worthless or meaningless. Positive encouragement is NEVER worthless, especially if your just starting out, or are still very much a beginner (As I consider myself to be). As Bri pointed out, confidence is generally an issue when people are just starting out, if all the feedback they got was critiques on what they were doing wrong, or nothing at all, that is going to give their confidence at least a bit of a knock, even if they do learn from it. Positive comments will likely give them a nudge back in the opposite direction and hopefully give them a push to keep practising and improving (hopefully with helpful crits alongside the praise).

Also, as I think may have already been said, these 'glaring errors' that you can see in peoples work, other people may not see due to less experience, so if they like the art, and can't see the errors, where is the problem with saying they like the piece?.

This is just my feelings on the matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    This is a bit of a cultural thing as well I think. Tiggeraz is from Germany, as I am. I have noticed that in German speaking groups on facebook, for instance, praise or positive comments are extremely rare. More than that, people will go out of their way to critizise even if the artist they're critizising is a lot more skilled than they are. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but the comments tend to be of a somewhat nit-picky variety. I have only ever received critiques that were absolutely bonkers and completely unconstructive from other german speaking people (not often of course, but it has happened), never someone from the UK or US. I don't know why we tend to do that. The US is the exact opposite, I think; an almost overbearing positive, optimistic attitude is something that I mostly notice with people from there. It can, in some cases, be equally bad as a harsh, negative attitude, e.g. when reinforcing bad habits or a lack of fundamentals (see deviantart).

I am not saying that Tiggeraz is being mean or overly critical, just that he may be used to this typically german/ western european(?) attitude.

To be honest, I think most of CA is the best of both worlds. People saying nice things without being overly superficial (generally people are being praised for good work/making progress and not for "drawing cute things" or the"right kind of fanart") & people getting their ass kicked if it needs kicking. What more do you want?
    You are right, being overly critical and focused on quality without concern of personal feelings seems to be a german thing, indeed. The concept of the 'critique-sandwich' for example is not very common here. The one where you start with something nice followed by a critique followed by something nice and so on.

And for those of you who accuse me of hating on positive comments, it seems that you didn't pay much attention to the posts i've made. I already said that there is nothing wrong with giving compliments, i just think they become meaningless when given inflationary. Which was the case in my perception when i started this thread (1 month ago!).
    I think this issue not even really relevant anymore, because the 'ur afsum!1 totally jelly!!' comments have become very, very rare since then. But someone dug up this thread anyways... Sir Cam i'm looking in your direction. With a highly sceptical expression! I know you can't see it but believe me, it's very sceptical.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sir Cam i'm looking in your direction. With a highly sceptical expression! I know you can't see it but believe me, it's very sceptical.
    There you go with that overly critical German attitude again.

Anyway, just keep in mind that critical online can come across differently than critical in person. Aside from using all caps or something people can't tell when you are saying something in an angry accusatory way or nicely in a helpful way.

My simple rule when giving a critique is that if you don't have the time or knowledge to say why the piece is good or bad, avoid saying so until you do. Don't just tell a person that the anatomy is off, because if they didn't know enough to get it right they won't know enough to know how to fix it. That's why you need to explain where and how the anatomy is off, and usually its best to give a quick line-over indicating how it can be fixed.

The same rule goes for praise. Praise is good and should always be welcome, but it often comes without explanation as to what it is you like about the piece. However, if you say "I like the rim lighting; it really ties the character into the candelabra you've shown behind them" it tells them what they did right. Sometimes knowing what you are doing right is just as important as knowing what you are doing wrong. I'd honestly love to see more of this type of constructive criticism, and by constructive I don't mean ass-pats or lack of negativity, but just criticism that guides the artist. I'm not sure how this ties into American or German or whatever types of doing things, but it does seem like a good way to go.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But someone dug up this thread anyways... Sir Cam i'm looking in your direction. With a highly sceptical expression! I know you can't see it but believe me, it's very sceptical.
    Name:  125357.png
Views: 135
Size:  18.4 KB

Skeptical*

Sorry for digging up the thread! I didn't pay any attention to the dates like I should have.

My Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skeptical*
    As far as i know you can spell it both ways... Grammar nazi.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as i know you can spell it both ways... Grammar nazi.
    Oh, that makes sense. Sceptical is underlined with the red squiggly line indicating it was a typo. Skeptical is the Americanized spelling of it, I should have known. We Americans are always attempting to trample on other countries, exhaling fire and claiming our way is the right way.

My Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, what's this giant elephant doing in this room? And how come no one's mentioned it? It has a "Sketchbook" link tattooed near the bottom. Hmm ... I think it wants you to follow it? And maybe comment in its own sketchbook to bump it?

(We're all guilty of this sometimes. And this is your answer, OP.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by diamandis View Post
    Hey, what's this giant elephant doing in this room? And how come no one's mentioned it? It has a "Sketchbook" link tattooed near the bottom. Hmm ... I think it wants you to follow it? And maybe comment in its own sketchbook to bump it?

(We're all guilty of this sometimes. And this is your answer, OP.)
    It may surprise you, but you are wrong. I care very little about the popularity of my sketchbook. If it were the other way around i'd update it more often and i wouldn't have told the user who kept posting the 'encouragement' comments under every update to refrain from doing so.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *facepalm* I wasn't talking about YOU, op. :p

I'm saying, there are members here who do this, some more than others. Some WAY more than others. And there are some famous examples from CA's history who are guilty of it too. One in particular (and one of my heroes) is probably famous partly because of it. Not naming names, although people will be nodding along.

EDIT: ahahahaaaaaa, I just noticed your "elephant" sig. I did NOT see that when I posted my original comment. Crazy coincidence. I see the confusion now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook