Sodmansa - Composition 1.1

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sodmansa - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Sodmansa - Composition 1.1

Hello. I am very excited to be working on this. I've always been a 'doodler' and never really was interested in learning art under some kind of discipline (i.e always doing my own thing in art class, never interested!) - I think my art is a mixup of things I've picked up here and there with no real direction or base. I hope I can improve.

My only question(s) for now is are we able to choose multiple paintings from the same artist?
    Chose Rubens for my first.

Oh wait! Is this size all right or is there a specific thumbnail size (for both pictures side by side)

I hope I did okay for my first time!

Is there a generally good plan on how long it takes to do level up? I know it's more of a pace yourself, but I'm wondering a good devotion of time for one assignment, before doing the next etc

Name:  comp11_01rubens.png
Views: 290
Size:  153.9 KB

1. I chose Rubens because I like the fantasy like quality to his work, yet with realistic textures - his skin always looks amazing to me and I'd like to replicate that, I love how they always look graceful and in motion. I thought this was one of the less busy images, but with great values - how is it his flesh looks crisp yet soft at the same time?

I've always been kind of 'slow' as a painter, always focusing on details and not good at drawing the larger picture, so I am being very strict with time. I clocked in at an hour for this time.

Name:  comp11_02fragonard.png
Views: 40
Size:  174.9 KB

I chose Fragonard's "The Reader" because I love the natural poise it has, yet elegant with interesting textures for the clothing. It's a misleadingly light picture, but I found it had a lot more contrasting values than the overall piece gives off.

Spent 1 hour on it, trying to focus more on values and their placement rather than details.

Last edited by Sodmansa; July 24th, 2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: submitting second study
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,228 Times in 2,769 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. You are headed in the right direction. When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I edited my first post for the second study - is this correct? Keep editing the first post to submit the rest of the assignment? Thanks sorry so bad with forums ;x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Nice start. You are headed in the right direction. When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM
    Thanks for your feedback and help JM! This time I tried to lay down the correct values from the start, but it seems I came up short still with the lighter values. I know we can go past the time limit but I want to try to stick to only an hour this way I can compare it accurately and improve my speed...so when I see things that are off I worry about correcting them and then the whole piece looking unfinished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't help but do another!

Name:  comp11_03sargent.png
Views: 34
Size:  142.2 KB

I chose this piece because I have always admired Sargent, if there was one painter I'd like to use as inspiration it would be him. I have always been fascinated with his Egyptian paintings, but I hadn't realized this was one of them! I liked the dark hair and background and my long term goal is to master bodies/people so here it is.

1 Hour as usual, I think I may be getting better with time, but this painting isn't as busy as others.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,228 Times in 2,769 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are working with too much contrast. That comes from not selecting accurate values. Slow down and pick your most accurate value you can. Getting value range right is super key...and you will get there if you just take an extra few seconds per value to choose more carefully.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 11