Thanked 1,703 Times in 653 Posts
    Follows
    Following

COW #327: Tiny Sparkling Life Giver - WIPs Thread

COW #327: Tiny Sparkling Life Giver - WIPs Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  381.0 KB

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #327: Tiny Sparkling Life Giver

Brief:
    If you look back on cow you will notice a whole lot of creatures that are more than capable of taking the life of something, there isn't a lot of creatures that are able to give life. So for this round we will do just that. Design a creature that is capable of giving life to someone or something that is dead. How it does so is up to you. This creature will be small, infact very small, think about the size of a fingernail, or even smaller if you so wish. In addition it's skin is textured in such a way that it seems to sparkle. Or perhaps it gives of a sparkly dust of some kind. Give life to a small lifegiver!

Round Requirements:
    -Creature is very small, we're talking no larger than your fingernail
    -must sparkle in some way
    -this creature has the capablilty to give life to something or someone that has died, try to depict this ability in some way

Deadline:
    Wednesday July 30, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...43#post3842143

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; July 29th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posting this early because I'm having a few issues with the site being slow...so might as well give everyone a head start

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been visiting the forums for years and I'm glad to finally join this concept art community. This challenge sounds very cool to add some creatures that are capable of giving life back to lost ones, or to creatures we want back! Makes a lot of sense to be fingernail small and sparkling, that's a very suitable description of a Life Giver. I'm going to try participate.

Briefing this challenge I got two initial ideas, both microscopic creatures that reverse the rotting process so organic stuff is combined up back into complex forms of matter, one taking a goofy direction with small turtles, and the other a more horror like direction.

I'm calling them taphos, they literally inject life back to corpses or nearly dead ones, it sucks the corpse's own internal chemicals stoping them from self-digesting and eats all bacteria, ending the putrefaction, and uses all that stuff as raw material for rearranging and recombining matter to the highest complex form and producing a protective liquid that grows in the same rate of the corpse's recovering growth

Rough pencil based on paint thumbnails, looking for variations so the views (side, top etc.) aren't tight, aren't for modeling, I kept them loose, open to variations.

Lastly I hope I'm posting on the right thread and that my images follow the guidelines, so please correct me if I don't do that.

Name:  COW 373.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  294.6 KB

Last edited by cartoonliquid; July 27th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I'm new to the forum, and when I post text it shows up, but when I post the jpg (800px) image of my first step on WIP it doesn't show up. Is there a moderation that first evaluates the images from posts and only if approved they show up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you're new to the forum and the first couple times you post you may have to wait for approval from either myself or one of the other moderators, so we can keep a better eye on any spammers. I'll delete the duplicate posts you made.
    I don't think it'll be long before you can post freely, I don't recall having to approve a new member's posts more than once so you should be good to go. If you post again and it doesn't show up just wait a bit for me to approve it first before posting multiple times.

Last edited by Rob Powell; July 27th, 2014 at 12:20 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What an interesting topic. I don't think I've really tried paint something sparkling before, anyone with good ideas on how to tackle the sparkle-part of the challenge?

Name:  tiny_lifegiver_wip.png
Views: 367
Size:  81.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adding other two initial ideas for tiny sparkling life givers, one continuing the horror direction, and the other with a more serious look at the small turtles inspiration.

I want to explore variations and cherry pick from the results of slowly taking a design direction that is mostly functional under the taphos concept (again, creatures that stop the corpse from self-digesting, end putrefaction, rearrange, recombine matter to the highest complex form and protect the corpse's while it recovers ...but writing this process is easy, what I would really enjoy are drawings showing this process )

Name:  initial ideas 2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  528.3 KB

Last edited by cartoonliquid; July 27th, 2014 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This one's got double meaning.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Curses Scorge, you just snuck in ahead of me with your spark(l)ing life giver...
    Mine is an insect-like creature who eats uses electric charge generated by rubbing its wing covers together to bring back the spark of life.

Edit : Oops giant image size, lets try that again

Name:  WIP1Small.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  109.9 KB

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First sketch
    Name:  lfegiver1.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  49.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some interesting WIP's here, gonna be fun see the finals!

Here's my progress: Name:  tiny_lifegiver_wip2.png
Views: 272
Size:  374.4 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a hard time coming up with a concept for this one.
    Name:  lifegiver_wip1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  127.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if I will be finishing before Wednesday, but here's some WIPs anyways. I want the butt part of the creature to be filled with sparkly glittery lifegiving particle, but I'm struggling to figure out how to accurately portray that. Glitter particles are hard to recreate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  lfegiver2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  49.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I'd do a couple of crits before posting my next WIP :

Cartoonliquid : Loving that top image of the tooth fairy concept (the green one) the highlighting really makes it pop and the silhouette is intriguing (and frightening!) I'll admit though that I'm having trouble seeing exactly what is going on in your sketches, maybe you could try for a more focused composition? (And yes i realise that you're showing front/side elevations atm)

Scorge : like i said, curse you for getting that spark in first! I really love the skin sparkle on your beastie (so sparkly!) Maybe you could make the lighting highlights on the dead bee correspond to the lightning? He's not quite integrated into the drawing (especially as we can see the reflection on your creep)

Porcupine : LOVE the fact he's sitting on someone's finger. Very cool! Also, congrats on making the first one that is actually adorable I also really like the rextures you've got going on the tail and wings. I'd love to see some more of that effort put into the purple bits as they're not popping quite so much at the moment..

Fabianguiza : Another very cute one! I really like the owl influence here, its really original and mixes beautifully with the antennae. Watch out on the musculature on the legs though, its not quite believable yet. I'd recommend having a quick look at the way back legs look on small mammals or reptiles (or even birds like chickens?) to get it working right but looking great so far!

Aerica : Don't worry too much about that sparkly abdomen, i reckon its coming along beautifully! Very sparkly indeed! I'd recommend pushing the design a little more as you MIGHT be looking at being too similar to an existing creature (which can get you disqualified) Maybe push the proportions a little more?

Hugoaraujo : I really love the colours and the way they blend here, it looks really natural (especially those gorgeous wings) Seriously, love your sparkler, would love to see it finished up!

Anyway, here is where I am so far :

Name:  WIP3.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  91.8 KB

Damn. Colour is hard.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grotski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time I post on this topic, for now I'm going with this concept:

Name:  Life Monthis..jpg
Views: 214
Size:  144.5 KB

It doesn't seem so small isn't? I'm not even sure about doing it on time, but really wanted to break the ice.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JeanFumero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some progress...
    Name:  lifegiver_wip2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  127.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I filled the page with foru concepts, just have to pick one and finish it in no time...

Name:  Live giver concept.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  125.6 KB

Firts one is a divine bug which can resurrect someone just praying for it, second one can bite a body and transfer the energy of the flower to the "victim" then it withers, fourth one is filled with some divine nectar and droping it on the lips of someone will return him to live.

I'm not sure about third, so, it's discarded.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JeanFumero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, silly me forgot to upload the finals thread when I posted the topic, it is up now so if you have a finished piece you can go ahead and post to the finals! You can take this as a 24 hours notice, but I may extend the deadline because of my derpyness....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit to late, but since topic is interesting and i need to keep rolling with my doodles I'll also try to contribute a little bit into these round

Name:  lifegiver kopia5SMLL.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  66.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished an attempt, I've changed the shape of the "flower body" and turned to look like garlic, a garlic bug...not bad, since garlic is healthy it may work too...

Name:  Life Giver Gouache.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  167.1 KB

But no, seriously, I'm gonna try harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I particularly like it JeanFumero. Nice work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks a lot, I'm struggling right now, still can get in time.

I like a lot your's, it may sound like a comeback praise but I haven't said anything because I like a bunch on here and didn't wanted to start my first post praising everyone, it feels weird.

But really, I like the structure on the shards and wings, well, and legs, the construction seems pretty cool everywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Grotski, thks for the comment about the tooth fairy and the crits, the moment you gave your input was to me the right time to go for a more focused composition. At that point I think I sketched enough pencils during the concept art stage here, with the front/side elevations.

Yesterday while I was writing about the creature, just drafting into the storytelling potetial from it, it lead me to an interesting shape for this project: a .pdf brochure presenting the creature. So I finished writing, sketching comps to be able to move on to the final stage, and worked real had to prioritize execution aiming at presentation.

I agree with all your crits, to me they might have helped everyone's creatures reach a higher level, satisfying even more not only the Brief and COW Rules but also our hunger for sharpening our skills and having fun. It sure helped me, if you didn't give your crits I don't know if I would have researched and developed the design in this specific direction, so thank you again.

So that's it, finished polishing it to the final key visuals, and submited the pdf to the finals thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had to do some concept of the bug dying after helpings someone, also, sketch of what it (might) be the final artwork.

Name:  Live Giver process.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  144.5 KB Name:  Live Giver progress.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  135.3 KB

Right now is almost finished, let's see if I can get in time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JeanFumero I know you already posted your final but since there is a little bit of grace, you need to crop out the look of your sketchbook or you will be disqualified. This is an awesome topic and I've put a lot of thought into it but traveling all over China I haven't been able to get anything together and although I'm finished I haven't gotten a chance to take a proper pic, edit it and upload, hopefully I can find wifi and do all of that before Rob wakes up.

Everybody came up with some pretty unique insects and insect like creatures, and I can see sparkles weren't just difficult for me. I can't wait to see how everyone does in the polls, good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @darren94 Oh, was in bed while you was writing this, thanks, I hope I'm not already out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I missed it by that much... okay by a lot, I wish I had had wifi in time. or at least wasn't stuck traveling
    but I thought I could still post this on here since I did it in the hopes that somebody will critique the crap out of it so I can improve my drawings.

Not that it matters now but the concept was that the mucus this creature secretes replenishes animals on the cellular level so cells that stopped functioning and died leading to organ failure repair themselves and beginning working normally when they come in contact with this little guys mucus. The little creatures are attracted to the bacteria that normally grows on deceased animals and consume it there small size allowing them to crawl into an animals organ system, cleanse it, and spread their mucus. Unfortunately there aren't enough of these creatures for use in human experimentation, which would most likely be ineffective anyway due to the existence of a Soul.
    Name:  Small sparkling Life-Giver.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  816.3 KB

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department