Thanks

3-D modeling or coding, Which is the more useful bonus skill?

Once we pick our concept artis character class, we all have some attribute points left over. What's the best use of said points, when you've maxed your points in art? do you +5 in Modeling? Or +5 in coding?

I'd think 3-D would be more applicable, Since it's the next step in the process and I could see it quite useful to understand the modeling limits when designing a character for example.

Coding takes a completely different approach but could be used to make one man shows, and I'd imagine have a higher demand, so a Back up for if you REALLY want to work on that one project but they want different style of art.

What does Conceptart.org think?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mraukat View Post
    What's the best use of said points, when you've maxed your points in art? do you +5 in Modeling? Or +5 in coding?

What does Conceptart.org think?
    I think you've played too many video games, or perhaps tabletop RPGs.

Other than that, it entirely depends on what you want to do. 3D would be useful for movie and game concept art, coding would be useful for game concept art and development. Having high skills in both programming and art would be useful for a single indie game developer, though good luck making a career out of that. But some clue about programming and animatable 3D model construction is good for any concept artist whether in games or movies.

Thanks
    If you enjoy coding do that. The demand for good programmers far outweighs the demand for modelers. Without meaning to step on toes, it is a lot more work to become an employable programmer than it is to become an employable modeler. The learning curve for programming is simply steeper. There is also a lot more earning potential in programming.

By the sounds of it though, you're looking for something to merely dabble in, in which case you should do the one you most enjoy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    I think you've played too many video games, or perhaps tabletop RPGs.
    There's a such thing?! Can it lead cancer? Can I OD?Does it cause autism? *Faints*

haha I thought it fit the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Pumpkin View Post
    looking for something to merely dabble in, in which case you should do the one you most enjoy.
    Thinking of modeling, thought I wonder which is more useful of a trait to have with drawing and going into the buisness, because we all know drawing takes up a darn big amount of time and when I do something I try my best to going all in, and there just isn't enought time in a day to do both.

Thanks
    Unless you are serious about programming, then do modelling, it's infinitely more useful to a concept artist.