Ringling College of Art and Design 2015 Hopefuls

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling College of Art and Design 2015 Hopefuls

So I have been waiting for this thread to be posted for some time now, so I just decided to post it myself. I am a hopeful for the 2015-2016 year and I would love to hear about other fellow hopefuls.

In case you are not familiar with Ringing College Of Art and Design here's a link to their website: https://www.ringling.edu

Also here's a link to the previous ringing hopefuls 2014 thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-2014-Hopefuls

So... any hopefuls?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, I'm glad someone started this year's hopefuls thread!
    I was a CA hopeful for last year, but couldn't make the cut =\
    Well, Gonna do my best this year ! XD
    so, you young hopefuls, what's your desired major??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!
    I'm also a hopeful for the computer animation major

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So cool @pechi897, have you started working on your portfolio yet?
    In my case, I'm having a hard time letting go of the old one and making new improved pieces... Somehow they all seem to resemble the old ones and that's just no good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well @Bibs, I am currently working on my portafolio.
    Only got one piece now but I think I have a pretty good idea of how to start the other pieces.
    As for your case, i think even if it looks like your old work, there must me some improvement in the way you make your new work, if not then just try to find a way to improve it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I think you're right... just because I can't see it, doesn't mean there wasn't any improvement, lol =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey @piedram, welcome to the thread!
    Cool,which one are you taking?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feel like posting a reply... nostalgically, I was part of the 2011 hopefuls and now will be a graduating senior in CA this coming spring in 2015. Ringling goes by so fast! Anyways, if any of you guys have questions, feel free to let me know or find me and message through fb!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, another Computer Animation hopeful here. Last time I didnt get into CA but Illustration and then had severe financial problems. This year though I will try to make my portfolio as good as I can so that I don't have to feel shame after seeing portfolio of others.

Taking some Fine Art classes for now and using ebooks for figure drawing as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! @Praemium, don't mind me if I take you up on that offer and ask lots of questions along the way, lol !

And @GetBetter, I know what you mean... Last time I didn't get into CA and was going to transfer to GAD, but than I got some problems too and couldn't attend Ringling in the end. But hopefully this time around I'll do my best and get into CA

Well, I still have college to worry about, but at least I'm allowed to take some extra perspective and figure drawing lessons with some of my old professors here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I was on the 2014 Hopefuls last year, and I got in for CA. Orientation is starting up in about a week, so it's pretty exciting. I know it's stressful trying to put together a portfolio (god knows I was so stressed last year), but always remember to enjoy what you're doing. It's no fun if you're always trying to put together things for your portfolio, and you're hating every second of it. Don't focus so much on it being the best picture perfect piece ever. Just have fun doing it, and make it the best it can! If you truly enjoy it, the quality of the piece will come through on its own. If anybody has any questions or wants any piece to critique, I'll try and pop in as often as I can to check my messages! Remember to do those life sketches! (They love them)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I was a hopeful last year but unfortunately I didn't get offered acceptance for CA. I'm trying again this year hoping a little extra time will pay off in my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got to say.. getting accepted into CA is only getting more and more difficult. I know they have a hard time making these decisions, especially since the program is getting more attention and so many super talented kids are applying. That being said, get on the admissions radar early in the game if you can! Try and go to a National Portfolio Day in person, get critiques from admissions/upperclassmen, keep in touch once you've been assigned an advisor, and make sure they know how much you want to be there! And always, always, keep sketching! Draw in class and try to draw everyday! I used to draw on all my papers while listening in class... it might not be a 'portfolio' piece, but just getting in the pencil mileage will pay off for sure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SURPRISE! Yet another CA hopeful over here. I'll be applying this fall/winter of this year and I'm really nervous about the portfolio. I consider myself a very strong drawer but my completed pieces tend to be lackluster. (I'm not great with shading/color.) idk I'm pretty lost in the sauce at the moment and was hoping for some encouragement and guidance haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, good to see that little by little this thread is coming to life!
    Thanks for the advice @Praemium, I'm going to start stalking my advisor right away!
    And @jcwodell, I know what you mean... I can manage the structure pretty well, but I have a hard time rendering my pieces. =/
    But hey, if you want guidance why not post some of your pieces here? I don't know if I can help you that much, but I'm sure you can get a good feedback of the other members. As soon as I got a couple of new pieces ready I'm going to post it to get some advice as well XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp, here I am again. Third time hopeful for CA. Are my chances any better? Probably not. But until I try, I'll never know. I've been taking a figure and life drawing class or two this summer and surprisingly, I do feel like my work has gotten better since I was working on my portfolio last fall, for the 2014 term. I actually have...a lot, of things to photograph and upload into the computer, but when I do have it all in, I'd love to get some feedback on it. See where I need to take things in the next...I guess roughly five months or so.

My (0ld) Portfolio - http://imgur.com/a/A4lPf#0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bibs I'll try to upload some stuff really soon. Right now my only art that's up is my avatar and that's super tiny. Also I was told when I visited back in the spring that it is best to include pieces that highlight your strengths rather than pieces that show what different mediums/styles you've tried but aren't necessarily best with. So I'm thinking that I'll include a gesture compilation or two and a lot of colored pencil pieces in addition to some acrylic paintings.

@JAndrews Don't get down on yourself......your perseverance is really impressive and I'm sure that in addition to improvements that you've made in the past year will give you some sort of an edge in admissions. I would really love to see your more recent stuff so post it as soon as you can!

Anyway I'm really excited to discuss the admissions process with you guys! Ringling is the only school I really feel passionate about and I'm anxious to have the application done and over with!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jcwodell It may come off as perseverance, but really...it's more of a passionate desperation, getting into Ringling. I don't take 'no' for an answer and honestly, Ringling is the only place I'm really interested in, if I'm gonna be shelling out the kind of money that it takes to get in. Not willing to pay 200K to go to place like SCAD, you know? Especially when I've talked with people...professionals, who graduated from there and work in the industry, and who all say that it's a waste of time. So Ringling is it for me. It's Ringling or bust. I do have to admit that the few years that I've had, have greatly helped me to improve my work, and I'd be happy to have you take a look! It...probably won't be posted until after labor day weekend, given that most of the pieces are nudes, and...with my house being very conservative minded, I kinda have to get it photographed when they aren't around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ringling says the won't grant you more than 8k in schoolarships. Is that really true? I find it funny how other major schools manage to give 30k/y and ringling caps at 8ish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JAndrews I feel the same....I want to go to Ringling SO much. The only other school I've come close to considering is Regent University, and that's only because I wouldn't mind double majoring with Biblical Studies (which they offer.)
    Also I was under the impression that SCAD was really good? I've had teachers that talk about it a lot. (Though I guess they wouldn't be familiar with the animation department, which is mostly all that matters in my case.)
    And okay I can't wait to see it! I have the same issue with my nude drawings, mostly in how comfortable I am showing them to people. Like my family is okay with it but I feel weird letting people see my sketchbook, even thought there's nothing really sexual about any of said drawings. But whatever man. Yeah.

@technokill Don't worry! If that is the number they advertise, it's probably flexible. I mostly say this because when I visited my tour guide mentioned that he initially was not given enough money to afford Ringling. What he did was he contacted the school administration, wrote a few essays on how Ringling is the only school he wants to go to, his passion for art, etc. The initial amount they offered was somewhere around 10k and they did bump it up for him after he showed how badly he wanted to go to the school. (I'm not sure how much, but it was enough that is made an actual difference in affordability.) So yeah take it all with a grain of salt. Also remember to apply for other scholarships in case things don't work out quite so well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Illustration hopeful here haha
    I intended to go in for CA, but over the Ringling Pre-College program - I realized CA wasn't what I was exactly looking for after talking with Ed Gavin and Billy Merritt (who both were amazing teachers!) especially since I hated working with Maya...

I have most of my portfolio done already, just putting in more graphite observation pieces, quick gesture sketches, and filling up my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @winterbi Ugh I wish I had been able to do the precollege program but I wound up having to work full time this summer. I bet it was a lot of fun!
    Also I'm a little curious as to what you have going into your portfolio. Like how much of it is observation and gestures? idk I'm just super confused about it because I've only really had my one art teacher to give advice and she's had me do a lot of re-creating masterpieces. (Which is great and all, but it doesn't really showcase my ability especially when that's most of what I have done.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jcwodell
    It was a great choice for me personally to attend - since it helped me decide which major was more suitable for me c:

I have about 3 Observations with graphite, few oil paintings(about 4), 1 charcoal figure, 1 character design sheet, and the rest are going to be from my sketchbook which consists of 1minute/2minute gesture figures.
    I have some of my portfolio uploaded on here - http://imgur.com/a/5rUTn
    // since I'm not going in as CA anymore, I geared the pieces for the illustration program

I would suggest creating more original pieces with storytelling, instead of recreating masterpieces since that's the vibe I got from talking with my teachers during pre-college. Animation teachers particularly wanted maybe 2-3 completely rendered pieces with good story telling and composition etc, and fill the rest of the portfolio with gestures, heavy figure studies(limit these though, they mainly like seeing the rough ones). Try to have fun with them, and if you just don't have any ideas sit down and draw your hands or feet etc. Line of action and exaggeration is key - and make sure to put several gestures in one page when you submit... unless you think that the certain pose/sketch is strong enough to stand alone. If possible, don't use any photo references, observations are the best and they can tell whether you used a photo or not.

Both Billy and Ed strongly suggested "less is more" so put in only your TOP BEST work... most of what I say is what I got from both of them when I stayed after classes and chatted with them and got a review of my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another 2015 hopeful here. I applied last year to their Illustration program and got accepted but did not get as much help as I wanted so advisement told me to go to a community college for a year and then transfer so I will be up for scholarships again. I have been working on a new portfolio and taking drawing classes. Hopefully, hardwork will pay off. I think my issue last time was that I did not have enough observational art. I have a gpa of 3.9 and my portfolio was alright but when I look back on it now, I needed more life drawings. So...hopefully, this portfolio will be better this year :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys can also send in a few pieces to AICAD slideroom for an informal portfolio review - a lot of the reviewers are super helpful and you are able to get feedback not only Ringling specific, but all colleges in AICAD c:

So far I have gotten amazing feedback and how to improve my portfolio from RISD, Parsons, SAIC, and MASSart even though I have just submitted my examples yesterday night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ShianeSalabie That may be something I end up having to do since Ringling is so expensive. It's probably better to take a year off too because there's more of a chance to work and save up...good luck in applications this year! I'm sure you'll get in again!

@winterbi Thank you so much that is actually really helpful! I have a lot of gesture and rough observational pieces so that's good..I think I need to get more story-heavy pieces. And I'll definitely try to get feedback from AICAD. Also I didn't know you could ask for feedback from schools you're applying to before actually finalizing an application. Do you know if Ringling does that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jcwodell
    Ringling is also part of AICAD, so you can specifically check a box next to Ringling to get their "unofficial portfolio check"
    and even if you don't check some of the colleges, they'll email you if they have any suggestions or critiques etc.

AICAD basically sends 5 pieces of your work directly to the admission officers of the selected college so you can get feedback. You'll be talking to the
    representatives of the college, not the AICAD group. Hope this clears it up a little bit?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @winterbi Yeah I totally get it now! That's super cool and I'll definitely use it when I have a few more pieces done.

Also is anyone acquainted with the emphasis (or lack thereof) that Ringling places on elements outside of the portfolio? Like I know grades are not too big since it's an art school but I do a lot of volunteer hours and clubs and I was wondering if that was just totally irrelevant. It's an odd chance that any one of you can answer something so specific as students, but I thought I would ask at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jcwodell
    Surprisingly(well not really) I went and visited the admissions while my time there and talked to them for good 2 hours+ haha
    Even throughout pre-college there was big emphasis on volunteering (during the weekends we went out to clean the beaches) and
    some kids were given scholarships were going up and beyond while volunteering during our time there. So I'm almost sure that if you have really good
    stats regarding volunteerism, they might see you in a better light than a student with the most minimum volunteer hours to graduate high school. (Even at the
    end ceremony they kept on telling us to volunteer and get involved in community volunteerism.) It also depends on what you count is " a lot" of volunteer hours. Some kids had well over several hundred hours stacked up.
    I asked about SATs/ACTs like 100 times where I was there, and each time I asked they really didn't care about it at all.... but they did say having a good
    gpa is preferable. Since I'm applying to RISD as well, knowing about the requirements for SAT/ACT/GPA is crucial to me and Ringling assured me multiple times it's not a big deal. c:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just three more months, guys. Three more months, and the portfolios are due. Frankly, I'm not focusing on that this year. All I've been doing, is drawing. And more drawing. And just getting the practice in. I spent too much time focusing on what would go into the portfolio last year, that I barely had anything legit to include. So now...I'm just working on stuff.

Went to the Portfolio Day last weekend. Which, was super helpful. Finally got my first real, physical interaction with the school...and about six others, and I really have a good idea now, where I should be focusing on improving. It seems working on my value scale would immensely help my work, blending and rendering everything together to create the finished product. My proportions are little off....and it's funny, but they actually thought my gestures were better than the longer pieces. Any thoughts on whether it would be better to include more gestures to longer poses, if the gestures are of better quality? Because I would actually prefer that. Got a lot more gestures than I do longer drawings, so that would make filling up my portfolio that much easier. Oh, and they also really liked my animal drawings. And hands. Honestly, I should have attended this thing years ago, because I haven't gotten many helpful hints over the years, and now...I do. Hopefully all the advise will help get me into the program.

I really wanna get my work put up for you guys to see, maybe get a few more reviews and critiques. Just gotta find time in my hectic, busy schedule, to actually photograph everything.

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook