Beginner's Sketchbook, feedback welcomed

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beginner's Sketchbook, feedback welcomed

I'm Ynne Black, 18, and I've been drawing my whole life, but only in the last year or two I've decided to take it more seriously and maybe even do something in the art field for a living (one day). I finished many pictures, but now I'm trying to get back to the basics and learn the fundementals. Although I went to elementary art school (several years), I later found out that they taught me... well, quite literally, nothing. We were supposed to use imagination all the time, but nothing more. I study Graphic design, so just a very limited drawing.

Now I'm trying to catch up on my own.
    I want to improve my drawing & painting skills and understand all aspects of colour, composition, constructing and anatomy.
    ANY FEEDBACK IS MUCH APPRECIATED, as I want to improve I do need critique to don't get stuck. Thank you!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ynneblack; July 29th, 2014 at 06:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And to move onto something new... I have very little spare time these weeks, but I'm trying to use those free minutes to do at least quick "gesture" drawings. I'm trying more approaches, I don't know which will teach me most, so they look slightly different each time.

Name:  Training3.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  Training4.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  421.8 KB

Last edited by ynneblack; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies (mostly from real life, drawing classmates, and my own hands)
    Name:  Training2.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  396.5 KB

A few more recent gestures. (Yes, I strongly prefer drawing females. I don't exactly enjoy looking at male bodies, and drawing them is even worse (& more difficult, haha). I need to get over this eventually.)
    Name:  Training5.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  193.1 KB

Last edited by ynneblack; July 25th, 2014 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really digging the skull studies man, and really good start overall. I would maybe recommend studying a more constructive approach to anatomy, it'll probably help the gestures when you have a better understanding of the human form etc.

Keep it up

6. The Following User Says Thank You to YangDaniel027 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YangDaniel027: Thank you! I enjoyed drawing the skulls a lot, I hope it shows, haha. And thank you for the idea, I'd like to study the anatomy a bit more, I'm mostly guessing right now (which is not wise) :/

Last edited by ynneblack; July 22nd, 2014 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Training6.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  137.5 KB

Last edited by ynneblack; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by ynneblack; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gestures & torso (in grayscale to capture values, I cannot paint it correctly even like this, so I'd like to stay away from color for a bit now )

Name:  Training8.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  116.2 KB

Last edited by ynneblack; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Training9.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  88.8 KB

Trying to understand the light falling on face's planes, but I'm far from getting there. I will practice faces more now, I think.

Last edited by ynneblack; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I want to do more detailed anatomy studies, I've decided to make my gesture drawing time even shorter. I'm trying to capture the essence of pose, but it's still not exactly "flowing". :/

Name:  140725 Studies.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  219.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not feeling well today, and maybe it shows, but I tried to do at least something.

Name:  140725 Studies (2).jpg
Views: 274
Size:  104.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even though I used greyscaled reference, it was really difficult to choose proper values without colour pick, it was always too dark/light, and never really "3D"... Does anyone have tips how to get values right in the sketch stage, please? :/

Name:  Training11.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  117.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by ynneblack; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you have a really clean line for the gestures, you can as well capture the movement. I especially like the #10. I think you can emphasize more on the line thickness variation.
    It was a wise decision for you to stay away from color for a bit, better focus on value first, once you get the value right, no matter what color you apply, the form will stay. For the #10 post, you could include the reference you used, so other artist could easily give you suggestion.
    My suggestion on using too dark/too light value is to avoid using the pure dark & pure white on the early stage of grayscale painting, use it sparingly to emphasize some part of the painting. Also the good thing of using digital media is you can use the level adjustment to adjust the overall value if you think it's to dark/light.
    As for the "3D" look, study the theory of lighting (mass shadow & mass light). Once you understand this, you will always observe the shadow & light element of each object, makes you easier to achieve the form (3d-ness) of the object.

Hope this help

18. The Following User Says Thank You to unique_litani For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unique_litani: Thank you very much for your reply!! I appreciate it & you are very kind Thank you. I will definitely try to play around with line weight next time.
    About values, that sounds good; it's probably confusing because when I see light area, I tend to use colour too close to white, and too much black for shadows, although they're almost never present. :C I will try that too.

Do you have any tips for materials/info (preferably free) about the mass shadow & light?

My Sketchbook (feedback&critique are welcomed!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up ynne! Some advice would be to check Proko out on youtube and look at his gesture drawing videos as well as figure drawing, gesture really can't be captured properly with outlines of a form, it's all about curves and directing the eye + emphasizing the pose, check it out

As for values, never go full black or white, also, the lightest dark is never as light as the darkest light, meaning the bounce light (that's still in the shadow side of something) is never going to be as bright as where the main light source is hitting that object, this will add depth.

Try doing some good old still lifes as well, self portraits especially help with drawing more accurate shapes.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Robinson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey youre welcome, glad I could help .

I completely forget where exactly I read & get the mass shadow/ mass light, I couldnt even find it in my bookmark, sorry. Though however here are some alternative links (i recommend to read all of his posts in his blog, he is magnificent):
    http://stapletonkearns.blogspot.com/...dbug-line.html
    http://stapletonkearns.blogspot.com/...nd-shadow.html

Or you can grab old issue of imagineFX How To Draw & Paint Anatomy, page 74 is covering light & shadow topic. http://beta.imaginefx.com/shop/booka...nt-anatomy-two

23. The Following User Says Thank You to unique_litani For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Robinson: Thank you! I will check him out, although I think I saw some of it before. I know there is like a million ways to do gesture drawing, I have yet to find which one works best for me, so I'm open for suggestions and trying new things. And thank you for your great advice on values!

unique_litani: Hello (and thank you for returning a watch on dA), and thank you for those links I will go through it & try to find some other resources too. It's hard to find good, quality pieces of information for free, but I have to try anyway (no spare money D.
    Thank you!

---

Took a break from humans; I want to improve my animal-drawing skills, especially mystical animals, because I've loved dragons since I was a little kid. I used to draw dragons a lot too, but now I'm upset they don't look realistic at all, so I need to get some base for them (anatomy, scales...) from nature.

First, some quick sketches based on references; there's also the varan skeleton (I don't know how you call them in English), and some dinosaurs.
    Name:  Training13.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  142.7 KB

And here's a sketched dragon from imagination; I focused on his limbs. I know how to draw bat-inspired wings, I just didn't put much effort in them here, because I got stuck on torso and legs. :c I need to find out which animals would help me most to draw dragons better! (Yes, I like front limbs being like human's, because they would be very useful. I don't know if I want to go for more animal-like ones or not, I'll find out eventually.)
    Name:  Training14.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  86.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the imaginative sketch! I think something that stands out as a bit strange is the way the wing attaches to the back, the wing looks great though

As for animals that would help you most, I'd say a lot of reptiles influence the look of a dragon, they have the dragon like head and tail and some spines, so I'd go in that direction maybe?

Keep it up!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Robinson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Robinson: Thank you! I appreciate your feedback. I admit I don't know how to connect the wing well, but that's a very tricky part - because there are no real-world references for such things. :c It will need a lot of attention!
    And thank you for your tips. I think reptiles could help with the way tail works, and with head, a lot! Unfortunately even the biggest ones (varans) don't have suitable anatomy, so I have to look for body references somewhere else...

---

Here, related to the dragon topic, I tried a few studies of wolf/dog anatomy (because limbs and torso especially should be similar in dragon, although the bend placements and proportions could change):

Name:  Training15.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  190.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here are, not related, some of the "tiny colour studies" I did few days ago... the point is to never ever use colour pick, and ignore details, focusing on values and hues only. I surely have a big room for improvement there, haha, but it was interesting.

Name:  Training16.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  48.2 KB Name:  140804 Colour Studies.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  130.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I really like your brushwork in # 14. Very inspiring. I think you could benefit a lot from the Bargue drawing course. It has done wonders for me and I think it would help you with understanding tone in figures.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to michin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checking out my thread the other day! You have some really nice work already, and you can only go up from here! Some of those colour studies are bang-on (particularly the horse and the orange). As for your value issues, I think you've already got the main concept down, just need some refinement. Some more practice along with the advice other people have given will solve that for you

Also a big fan of those hands. Keep it up, girl!

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to keeptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff!!It's great that you are focusing on the fundamentals ^^ it's still the best way to start learning and get better fast ^^ and mixing it up to keep it fun ofcourse ^^ I know what you mean about preferring to draw women, I have the same thing ^^ We'll eventually get over it

Anyway, keep up the good work!!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to WilhelmDadelus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    michin: Thank you very much! I will definitely check the course out.

keeptime: You're welcome; now it's my turn to thank you It's very encouraging to read such sweet, supportive words.

WilhelmDadelus: Thank you, and yes, I agree... it's always good to start from the very beginning, and this is, although quite difficult, important base. :/ Haha, it's good to know more people tend to have a strong drawing preference for one gender. Hopefully it gets better with pracise.

---

Another thing from imagination, just to keep myself from punching a wall (aching tooth & gotta wait 4 days before the dentist will take me in, ugh). I want to at least lineart it later (yes, more cartoony, but here I basically only wanted to capture the pose... no idea if it works on it)

Name:  Sketch.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  223.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update on the previous picture from imagination... working on it is calming. (And it reveals things in which I really need to improve.)

Name:  Sketch2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  180.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook! For your dragon art, maybe study birds as well, how the wings work and are attached to the body. I think it could prove helpful. ^__^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you're off to a good start here! I really like your gesture drawing and those color studies (I should try a few like that myself!) Also some nice studies on the skeletal and muscular structure of the dog's legs, and it's good to see you're also tackling the whole form at the same time. I'm not sure I have any big suggestions, other than maybe trying some two-toned value studies or working a bit with other brushes (if you're using photoshop?)

You use a lot of pretty soft shading, and it can be good to mix it up and pay some reaaally close attention to the contours of shadows and stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Minella: Thank you very much! That's a good suggestion; I will definitely study birds too. (And some dragons even have actual feathered wings anyway, haha.)

Zen-Fehr: Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you think so. Two-toned value studies mean it consists of 2 "colours" only, or does it mean greyscale? About brushes, I prefer the basic brush I have set up for painting, and more precise one for lineart... to avoid "cheating" with those special-effect ones. But it doesn't hurt to try new things. Thank you!

---

I finished the dragon from earlier. At first I chose more cartoony-shading way, but basically, I just played around with it. Ignore the wand, it looks really weird, so it's just about the dragon.
    It was the first time I also used line thickness in finished picture to add form.
    Name:  Sketchhh.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  183.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com