Good places to find work and commission clients?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good places to find work and commission clients?

It's becoming increasingly harder to find freelance work or any job positions that dont require years of experience commercially in the field.

Do you guys/girls know of any good places to check out?

Deviantart is filling up with kids that have $5 but want $100 worth of art.

I understand exposure plays into it, and self marketing. Which I devote alot of myself to, but it never seems enough to pay bills consistantly.

Any help, advice, or links would be epic.

Thank you

Poverty Creates Strength
    Gallery- http://kidneytheft.deviantart.com/
    Clothing- http://society6.com/kidneytheft
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think most, if not all, online freelance sites are a dead end. Full of people wanting to pay £10 for three months of work and/or the website owners wanting to take 98% for encouraging low commission prices.

Best thing to do with freelance, in my opinion, with limited insight into the whole business, is contact art directors, actual studios and places with a quick showreel and/or portfolio. Contact many, many, many of these directors and eventually one will be looking for your style and hire you. Eventually word will get round, especially if you do well, or even bad, I suppose, and it'll be easier/harder to find clients.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I figured that just applying everywhere would be the end option. I shall try that. Thanx again for the insight.

Poverty Creates Strength
    Gallery- http://kidneytheft.deviantart.com/
    Clothing- http://society6.com/kidneytheft

Thanks
    Thanked 5,987 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go to the larger conventions and show your work. Illuxcon, DragonCon, places geared toward freelance artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Advice?

Have strong portfolio–will travel.

Having strong work is the only magic bullet, elixir, talisman, spell, charm…
    you’ll possess worth a damn in your quest to procure work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Truth be told...talented artists come a "dime a dozen". Many artist (of all mediums) complain that they can not find work OR they are underpaid for the work they generate. Ask yourself this: I live in America and ask for $25/hour for my services at my skill set. Now, what makes me think that there is no one in this world with the same skill set as mine asking for $5/hour, say in a country like India or the Philippines. How can I compete?

ANSWER: You can not compete with those prices. That is unless you start your own business(like Sideshow Collectibles) where your talents are an integral part of the business. But artwork like drawing ("service") and sculpting("service") is only a means to an end...selling a "product" is the ends.

You have many options to this dilemna. One not too favorable option is to enter into a different line of work. A line of work where there is not so much competition. Let's face it. There is a lot of competition in the art world.

To end your woes, this is what you should do. Apply for every available project and/or position you can physically/mentally withstand, regardless of the pay. Many artist think that the budgets for their services is unlimited. Why do think that? Most of these "companies" are pretty small and their budget is even smaller, especially for artwork for game boxes. Take the small jobs, do one heck of a job, and hopefully as the company gets larger - you can ride to the top with them. After all, they know your work and you know them. As their sales increases, so does their budgets. They are now in a position to pay you more. No, one company will not make you wealthy. But, dozens of companies together will earn you a nice living over time.

With this being said, and it's only my opinion on the subject. Here is some work for anyone interested:

https://www.freelancer.com/contest/91967.html

Thanks for your time. Hope to see you soon. It is a paying gig, by the way.

Respectfully yours,

MENTOR

Members who have read this thread: 45