Sketchbook: Keeping Art Alive in Medicine

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Keeping Art Alive in Medicine

I've been a long-time lurker of this place. But until now I've never had the guts to dive into the community.

I am a 23 year old in medical school, but my true love is for making art, and this has only grown. Even though I find myself having less and less time for it. I've always been rather saddened that I haven't been allowed an opportunity to formally study art, and as years pass I cringe when I think about how much I don't know, and how that lack of knowledge is stopping me from getting any better properly. It's discouraging but I have no plans of letting go of maybe the one thing that gets me passionate.

I hope you guys can help me better myself, even if only a little bit, even if slowly. I have been drawing on-and-off (more off than on to be honest) the past years without much direction considering the demands of medicine. There is much I want to know, and I am looking forward to anyone here willing to drop me nuggets of advice and guidance. I am excited to meet all of you .

---

The attached image is a drawing I made for an aunt sometime last year. She wanted something for her thesis cover and I jumped at the opportunity to make something amidst a busy and stressful school year.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Arishandera; July 19th, 2014 at 09:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tend to draw animals/creatures more comfortably than people. But learning how to draw them properly is one of the top things I want to accomplish! The attached images are doodles I currently have on my computer.

I intend to post more recent sketches as soon as I am able to scan them. I am making an effort to keep a physical sketchbook with me in an attempt to snatch free doodling times as they come.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  photo 2.png
Views: 51
Size:  539.1 KB
    Some dragon sketches. I need to warm up more, it's been a long time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup dude like your dragon sketches! If you need some cool dragons to look at check out the Monster Hunter Dragons and creatures. They are awesome!
    Anyway looking forward fo new drawing of yours b

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there,
    why not use a sketchbook during your medical school, i thing it's can be interesting.
    When you can of course but you'll learn a lot observing life

The Owls are nice, keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CamiCrash View Post
    Sup dude like your dragon sketches! If you need some cool dragons to look at check out the Monster Hunter Dragons and creatures. They are awesome!
    Anyway looking forward fo new drawing of yours b
    Thanks Leo! I am a big dragon lover ! Whenever I am in a slump I end up drawing them haha. And I know what you mean! I actually bought this Monster Hunter artbook this summer, and the variety of creatures and designs are amazing! Lots of dragon-like designs too so I was in heaven. I'll post more soon .

Quote Originally Posted by LUlric View Post
    hi there,
    why not use a sketchbook during your medical school, i thing it's can be interesting.
    When you can of course but you'll learn a lot observing life

The Owls are nice, keep going!
    Hello! Indeed I plan to . No doubt we will be busy a lot, but I hope to make the most out of whatever free time I have. And I suppose there is the one upside that we are exposed to a lot of anatomy in this field .

Thanks I found those little critters such a joy to doodle!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dragons are good. I think a way of creating more believable fantasy creatures would be to study real life reptiles and incorporate their designs into your dragons. For instance look at this majestic creature -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...OfAnIguana.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shoebill View Post
    The dragons are good. I think a way of creating more believable fantasy creatures would be to study real life reptiles and incorporate their designs into your dragons. For instance look at this majestic creature -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...OfAnIguana.jpg
    Oh the iguana! I truly can see that as good animal to base a dragon on. Just look at those spines, and those spikes at the back of his head! This is the first time I noticed those! Scales are another thing that makes me shrink from intimidation. I'll take your advice and give a go at familiarising myself with these critters .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello doctor Great start to the sketchbook, please keep posting. I really like the dragon sketch!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha thanks for the encouragement Bri! I have a tendency to default to doodling dragons aimlessly. Been a bit preoccupied in sorting enrolment stuff the past days but I do have the whole day tomorrow to relax at home and sketchsketchsketch

Members who have read this thread: 20