Another Rookie's Journey

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another Rookie's Journey

Hey All,

Inspired by MindCandyMan's journey that started over a decade ago, I've decided to log my journey, down the path of becoming a better artist. His thread is truly inspiring, and will serve as a reminder that hardwork and dedication trump talent any day!

For a bit of background: I'm a 27 year-old from Canada, with limited background in drawing. I took art classes in High School because I was drawn to it, but after a few false starts (and a teacher who didn't seem interested in helping anyone without 'natural talent'), I gave up. I regret it, but you know what they say, the best time to plant an oak tree was [in High School], the second best time is now.

I've got a new view on things now, and realize that all those that are seen as 'naturally talented', just drew a lot more when they were kids than I did. So, it's time to put in the work.

I'm really draw to charcoal sketches, and portraits with different hues from what'd you expect (work like this http://koikoikoi.com/2010/05/francoi...ful-portraits/).

Anyways, I'm planning on using two of Loomis' books to learn - Fun with a Pencil and Figure Drawing for all It's Worth, while finding basic exercises around the internet (like these two threads on /r/learnart) to practice up my skills. If anyone has any advice, I'm also open to suggestion.

Here is some work from today - a couple heads from Fun with a Pencil, and my can of cider to practice cylinders. Need to read up on shading so I can make my cylinders look real.

Name:  20140719_001428.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  56.2 KBName:  20140719_001402.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  78.1 KB

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by hobz; July 20th, 2014 at 05:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually you don't need to read up on shading to make your cylinders look real. just get a can and a lamp and draw it from life. . Then after have a couple of goes at that, then you can start to read up on what all the different lighting principles are and you will have a better understanding of how to apply them.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

4. The Following User Says Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's true, thanks for the perspective element. I'll have a go next time!

A few more shots of some Loomis practice and shapes making:

Name:  20140720_153717.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  71.9 KBName:  20140720_153732.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  76.7 KB

Trying to avoid just straight copying Loomis' 'Blooks', but finding I don't quite have the imagination right now to add shapes like he does. So, I'm trying to learn from what he does, for future me!

Last edited by hobz; July 20th, 2014 at 05:59 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 13