Joined theThe military??

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joined theThe military??

Has anyone here have or know of someone that has had any experience in the military?
    particular they were an artist, working or aspiring. please pass on any details.

wont go into too much details but I've been contemplating it. things have happened in my life recently and the brief and even humouring idea from many many years ago has resurfed with a serious turn.
    I'll never give up drawing and painting, but as a career, I am not ready for it, but feel no longer have the opportunity to strive hard towards it like I used to.
    I can't drone in retail full time. destroys me inside.

I have been hesitant on joining the royal marines, particular because of the cause of whatever they would send me off to fight for but the training, the mental state, and comradery would fit me like a glove. I've lived an active/fit/train hard lifestyle my whole life thus far.
    Recently came to my attention the united nations peace soldiers. They only hire already active soldiers of member states which is a shame as I would jump at that instantly, but it has added positivity to me wanting to join to then get into that.

what are your experiences? why did you join? what happened to your art practice/ strive?

thanks

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

CA sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245741

Deviantart: http://luthertaylor.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't share this info with many people at all, but I figure I'd share it with you since it is a bit relevant. In 2011, I did sign up for the Navy and got depped in for several months, yet the entire time, I was nervous and primarily concerned how this would effect me as an artist. I never exactly supported the military and only signed up because others suggested I do so. I got to bootcamp several months later and loathed it. I understand bootcamp is not the real military, BUT in my opinion, you get to experience a hint of it. Bootcamp lasts about 2 months plus some additional weeks. You won't be allowed to bring a sketchbook, and you'll be made to send it back home if you do. With as busy as they keep you in bootcamp, you won't get time to draw. And sometime after finishing bootcamp, you also won't get any time to draw. It could be up to several months before you get the access and time to create art. Is this a risk you're willing to take?

Long story short, I elected to 'game' the system and go home, and I don't regret it one bit. Now that I'm learning all kinds of new information, particularly negative, about the military, I am glad I never made it through. In the time since I left bootcamp, I have improved a ton as an artist and have met a famous one, all of which most likely would have never happened had I went on. You MIGHT draw a paycheck to support your hobby, but the military pay for an enlisted really isn't that glamorous, especially when you consider all the things they take out for you to live on base, and unless you are married, most likely you would have to live on a base.

But keep in mind, the military really does not care about what you want to do. Your primary job is to support them, no matter who you are. And I'm not entirely sure of how the royal navy works, but the military doesn't seem to be a popular thing for many artists given the lack of results I found on this topic. However, if you have other options open to you, I advise you to pursue them. Is this really something you want to do? How passionate are you about it? If your passion for art strongly overrides that for the military, don't do it.

I recall this girl who wanted to be a musician in bootcamp, and managed to get into a band division during camp, but only because her skills are competent. Me personally, given how the military alters you mentally, sometimes for the worse, I don't think this is an environment to foster creativity. But again, weigh your options. I was still able to get school money so if you are able to do that for schooling, or to make money with your art, do you want or need the military to supplement that? Please, please, please think hard on this as this is a very big decision that will be hard to back out of the further you go in. Best of luck to ya!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tezia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tezia
    Thanks for the response, yeah It's not exactly something I am dying to jump into right away. It's a job. A job I would probably be good at. I've already came to the conclusion if I was to join, I would have no time to practice, and frankly I wouldn't want to. Not in the same manner that I do now.
    all my efforts would go into training, and strict observation on the field to keep my ass alive.
    but despite all I've been looking into on the military I still unsure about what they do in a positive manner, that screams to me its a positive thing on the world. compared to the UN peace soldiers which I felt extremely positive about.
    killing is a drastic subject but in the defence of my life and to protect innocents against aggressors...

I really don't what else there is for me that I feel i would enjoy fulltime. everything different requires training, that costs money, money I don't have and I am so done with retail man or at least this shop I am at. 2 days max is all I can bare and that is pushing it lol.
    bursaries, scholarships for artists are always a gamble and I always lose.
    I'm even beginning to doubt my artistic credibility. I don't really feel creative, and there is always something interrupting my ability to consistently practice my art like family most of all, I feel have somewhat hindered my progress, especially right now but I feel I can't abandon them to go pursue my dreams, what about them? it's a unfair situation for all of us but it is what it is..but that is the other option.

I've sacrificed money, friends and sexual relationships to have more time to myself to practice.
    I've gotten nothing but time in return but the time I have been given wasn't enough to achieve what I am after in my skill. I literally feel my time is up and have to look at other avenues.
    I won't sell because I can't sell. fuck can't even attract people to buy/commission traditonal colour sketches for £10-£20 quid at this level. Tried to paint a landscape yesterday and it bombed in my face. 4 years since I've graduated and I've been grafting getting nowhere just always encountering more bullshit to interfere. more shit that needs developed before I feel ready.. I'm confident you can earn a living in art but that life just doesn't seem to have been destined for me.

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,488 Times in 3,694 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have you considered the police instead?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to get the book Ultimate scholarships 2014, or the most recent version if its out, by Gen Tanabe. Literally has hundreds of scholarships. So far (haven't gotten through it all) I found 23 scholarships I can apply, with 21 of those requiring nothing but a short essay. And then a few more require you to just sign up and nothing more. Also, check out Barry Raybould's Virtual art academy. It is 20 bucks a month, will take at least 4 years, and has received rave reviews. Vilppu and Darrel Tank's 5 pencil method are also cheap sources to consider.

I suspected that I never belonged in the military, but I knew for sure when I wasn't physically strong (failed 2 out of the 3 required pt tests) kept getting sick all the time, depressed, unable to complete any training successfully, and I was failing the inspection and swim tests. Yeah I might have made it a month, but I would have made a terrible soldier. Also he could die being a police. It's a noble thing to do, but not for the faint of heart. And even then, not every person that goes through police training makes it, even if they wanted it badly.

Hmm...perhaps shop around for choices, but I really would advise against the military. All the scandals are just a nice hint of the true nature of today's military. Perhaps look at PeaceCorps or some kind of vocational training.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tezia,
    Thank you very much for your feedback! it is much appreciated, indeed I am shopping around for other choices,I could also die in the military, if I join it would be under the marines. they are usually the front line.
    thank you for the info on the scholarships. It's not money for practice I am concerned with but money to support my family while doing what i love. I will investigate that book. thank you

Blackspot
    hello, long time and hope you are well! Initially when I was growing up I had plans to join the police force actually, and then work on my art on the side. However I had two brothers that were...into illegal stuff putting it lightly.
    As much hatred I had for the direction they were leading their lives I still loved them and my mentality was if I was to be a officer i would have to arrest them, knowing they are doing what they doing.
    couldn't do it. packed that route in and completely botched my GCSE's when I discovered girls, video games and bunking school without getting too heavily reprimanded for it.
    I will look into the police force but as of now, military seems the route that if I give up my art desires, would be the next thing that would fit me.
    doesn't require grades to get into, paid training, stability(which was never really a worry) which will allow me to do the things I want(learn languages, travel, provide for my family when they need me and practice my skill) off tour.
    Theres the graphic design route but feel unmotivated to learn that side even though it applies.
    right now for my art, I have a set way of learning and what I want to practice.
    everything outside of that is noise.
    I can't guarantee if I make a storyboard portfolio which is highly what I would love to get into, I would get hired at my current skill so I dont make one. Can't keep grafting.
    I'm strapped for directions and entry points.
    need a break.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm heading to Japan in september for three weeks. was my dream as a child to go: go to japan, learn japanese, be a professional artist. 1 of those I will achieve, two are in a constant state of learning but I've made serious head way with them. intermediate in japanese, and close to reaching the level i wanted with my art but don't know how long it will take. 2 more years with serious, cut out all distractions, effort at best.
    going to think things through over there away from family, practice talking, practice drawing the people and architecture and make my choice...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,488 Times in 3,694 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck with your chosen path then. You could mention your Japanese is not too deadly if you apply. Added skills are a bonus and you could get lucky in any postings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I was USN and I joined for the sole reason on going to war... Unfortunately it was peace tine and I incurred a few injuries precluding me from the special programs for which I joined.

But that did place my on a ship and had a great friend that was an artist. He had plenty of time to draw. He even painted the division logo on our shop door. He got out and got into signs and think he used his GI bill on some schooling but I haven't talked to him since 2002?

Members who have read this thread: 25