Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vompt's sketchbook

It's aways nice to be nice! So critiques are always welcome!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Awesome work!love those character head sketches and the really subtle gradations in the cartoon paintings at the bottom! Keep it up!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarada For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man! I need to be consistent!
    The first 3 drawings I hate, the lakeside drawing, I totally want to color it, and the last 2 paintings, I hate it too so some critique are welcome.

Until next time!

Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So lately, I wanted to start painting but my laptop became extremely laggy so I just been sketch and drawing alot. I have to format my laptop in order to start using it again. Enjoy!

Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

Until next time!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's more from my sketchbook! I've been drawing way more than doing digital painting. Yesterday, I formated my computer so hopefully I can start painting again! (You'll notice that there is the same page as in that previous post except it has more sketches in it!)

Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

til' next time!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I finally formatted my laptop and I'm currently doing a tutorial just to see how well it can run photoshop cs3. And I'm also working on a layout/background which is taking me forever to get done with beacause of everything that has been going on in my life. In the mean time, here's my sketchbook... again...

Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I did some value studies and color studies in thumbnail form. It's a fun little exercises really! I should do more of these! I've put the original image next to my studies for reference.

I also tried to do a full master study but then I got mad and gave up :/ I have to try again soon.

Anyway, here it is!

Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

Some comment's and critiques are welcome!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here some more stuff from my sketchbook!
    (you've probably already seen certain characters)
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EXCELLENT work! So fluid in the poses, lots of confident lines, very expressive. Good use of color!

I've got nothing to say other than praise, only I applaud you for the value studies and color studies and look forward to seeing more of that. (As I need to do more of that!).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to celadon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Celadon! I appreciate it!

Hey everyone!
    So for the past couple of months, I've been going to a life drawing atelier held by a french comic artist in Montreal. So, here are some drawings I did (in no particular order)!

Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

There are a lot of them that I don't like due to anatomical problems so some comments and critiques are welcome!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New computer!

I forgot to mention! I finally FINALLY have a new computer!!! I am ssooo happy of it! I've bought it piece by piece to make sure that it works for my needs. It's my first buildand my uncle assembled it for me. My friends helped me choose the parts. Here's the part list if you're curious: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jlocas/saved/gBHnTW
    The colors look great with this Asus monitor! and I calibrated it with the help of this ICC profile: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#a

I named this new baby ''Betty'' because she's my girl! Here are a few pictures! I've been able to move my drawing table right next to it. Talkin' about convenience!
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

And finally, here is the first painting sketches I've done with this baby! I used two sketches I've already made. The second one isn't finished because I didn't like how it was turning out so some comments and critiques are welcome!
    Vompt's sketchbook
    Vompt's sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So lately I've doing some photo studies and I did a master study of Sargent. The second photo study I did, I really don't like the end result but I guess it's because I was getting impatient while doing it. I gotta work on that. Something that I tried while making them is to use only one or two brushes.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome!

Original:

Vompt's sketchbook

Study:

Vompt's sketchbook

Original:

Vompt's sketchbook

Study:

Vompt's sketchbook

Sargent Original:

Vompt's sketchbook

Sargent Study:

Vompt's sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here's more from my sketchbook! The first one is a finished line art background.

Vompt's sketchbook

Vompt's sketchbook

Vompt's sketchbook

Vompt's sketchbook

Vompt's sketchbook

Vompt's sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you sketchbook is really awesome, and we kinda have the same taste. I sketch a lot of characters in my sketchbook, love environments, and we both do lots of master studies

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fynch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynch View Post
    Man, you sketchbook is really awesome, and we kinda have the same taste. I sketch a lot of characters in my sketchbook, love environments, and we both do lots of master studies
    Hey thanks man! It's nice to see a familiar face who ventures into art forums, is this the only forum you post your stuff?

I've been doing way more anatomy studies for a while now. I started doing photos and master studies for the last two weeks though. I didn't really know how to make those until I found videos explaining it. But I do feel that I'm missing a certain basis in my studies, that's why I'm going to register to Noah Bradley's Artcamp this year!

Also, I do feel that I'm lacking some self-discipline... I feel like I'm not working as hard as I was in school and I know that I still have a lot to learn if I want to become a better artist. It would be nice to have a partner in crime, you know, to keep each other motivated, to help each other, to keep each-other in check when ever we become lazy and etc... It would be much easier to have someone we've met face to face to keep track of each other online. Can we do that? I would be really cool to do so. I know your still in school but I see that you can manage to make your own stuff.

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude we gotta to this, I saw a podcast by Bobby Chiu recently and he said that artist shouldn't be alone and that it's one of the best way to improve to be surrounded by other artist. It is waaaaay more motivating this way, I'm in! I think self-discipline is also super important and that's what makes you grow faster. So I'll come by your sketchbook more often then to see the progress. I'm super thrilled for this, it's the best thing to see an artist grow !

And yeah you are right I'll start the production of my short. Last semester I was super busy with the modelpack and all, but I did a lot of digital painting for it thou and I learned a lot. When the holiday vacation started, I just had a digital art rage, and I painted something each day of my vacation ; studies, movie still, personal pieces, my BG for my short etc. Now I'm excited to start school again, but sad at the same time cause I won't be able to paint like I do now, it's going to be mainly animation and related stuffs. But I'll still try to post personal paintings.

And you are doing Artcamp?! This is so awesome! I can't wait to see your work and there's just no way you won't improve. Artcamp is where I found me passion for digital painting. The approach of Noah for painting is so much fun and relaxing, cause you know at school, the way they show us Photoshop is so technique and organized, which I don't really like. I prefer the Noah style, it makes painting so much more fun and enjoyable. But artcamp require A LOT of self-discipline, and that's why I'll try to push you as much as I can, and even do some exercise with you I think, just tell me when you start

Also, I understand that people procrastinate and can't find a good self-discipline, but I feel like (well for me), the more you paint or draw, the more you like it. And the people who did it, who succeed in the industry, are people who found what their passion truly is. Maybe for you it's Background and robot, but it can be something more subtle than this, something that drives you. For me I found that not only I love BG, but I think what I really enjoy in them is to play with color and light and just have fun with it, and to not plan everything, plan all the layers, do a layer for everything... I hate that. I'm having a blast when I only use a max of 3 layer ( I'll use more but they eventually get merge) use a sketchy/painterly brush, and just go. Like the painting of Andreas Rocha, and Darek Zabroski (you have to know that guy, he's god). Anyway all that to say that when you find what really drives you(maybe you already have it too), self-discipline becomes way more easy.

So I'm starting school tomorrow, I'll try to keep posting

Oh and I'm also on Drawcrowd, DA, Tumblr, CubeBrush, Artstation and Pinterest

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Fynch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, your last semester is going to be super crazy! Be prepared! But it's going to be worth it. Something that I wish I did on that semester is taking the time to do art that had nothing to do with school, you know, do something for fun. I've spent all of my time doing nothing but my short film and I do feel like I've missed out a lot. That's my only regret... But at the same time, I really loved working on it. Making my very own movie was very exhilarating.

I totally agree with what you're saying. I I like most is pretty much every aspect of drawing, I just want to create worlds. And with digital painting, I see a whole new world of possibilities! I'm always mind blown by what people are capable with it. At school, I really didn't like the photoshop techniques they showed us, it's really too basic. They should delve more into how to use it properly like in the industry but I think they didn't because they aren't part of the digital generation of art (if you know what I mean). That why before I took a sabbatical after the student strike, to learn photoshop like the artists that I admire. I really like digital artists who has a painterly style to their art too. I really admire what Assaf Horowitz, Enrique Fernandez, Devon Cady-Lee... and many more!

I've been seeing your stuff on DA and I can see that you're really motivated, that's awesome! We have to work together! We will gain ultimate POWER! Mouhahahahahaha!!! The only question I have is how are we going to get about to it? Should we plan something?

I guess now that you're here, I'll have to watch myself more! Haha! Watch out! I'll also be keeping an eye out for you We should add each other on facebook to communicate better and faster.
    Vompt's sketchbook

I also post my stuff on tumblr, DA, Crimson Daggers and CFSL.net.

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright man! We are now friends on facebook, sorry it was long before I answered, school has started and already the first week is super intense ; 100 rough drawings for monday XD But I had time to do some personal stuff like mech design in my sketchbook, a master study and a lineart of Nova! So now I'll talk to you on facebook, but keep posting, it's been a long time!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Fynch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketchbook time!
    Vompt's sketchbook

And here are some life drawing I did for the past couple of weeks. I've numbered them so that it will be easier for you guys to critique.

Vompt's sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love those creatures! And I really like the way you draw vegetation, it's very appealing. Nice model drawing too! I've noticed that the legs are often too small, but the gesture is there! You should indicate the amount of time : 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I keep forgetting about that. I'll start writing that doing next time!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I was supposed to receive my cintiq this week which made me become impatient but there has been a f**k up with UPS and now I have to wait another week to finally play with it. Because of that, I barely been productive this week. Here are a few things I did...

Everytime I take the subway, I always sketch someone in the same train as me. I first started doing that when I read Bobby Chiu recommending it. Here are a few ones from the past few months.

Vompt's sketchbook

Sketchbook fun!:

Vompt's sketchbook

Life drawing:

Vompt's sketchbook

And I gotten sick of doing studies so I painting a fishy sketch of mine:

Vompt's sketchbook

Until next week guy, enjoy!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Some of your subway sketchers are really good, I know how hard this can be sketching in the subway Some others are more stiff, bit I'm being super picky now, cause I know you gotta be fast before they go XD And those model drawing are way better, way less mistake than before, way more accurate! Good job

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Fynch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Fynch but I do feel that my life drawings tend to fall a bit flat... I really need to understand more of the 3d of organic forms.

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the past 2 weeks has been intense. I officially do not trust UPS for any packages that's worth over 100$ anymore. Turns out that they lost the cintiq I ordered! How could they lose such a big package! Then I had to chase after amazon for my refund which took forever to get. And then I went to a local store to buy my new cintiq instead. Urg! It was such a painful mess! On top of that, I could go on the internet alot because I didn't wanted to break my internet usage.

Anyway, here's finally some new stuff!

Morning sketches:
    Vompt's sketchbook

Life drawings (I couldn't go for a while because I didn't get around to buy more paper until last friday):
    Vompt's sketchbook

Experimentation on my new cintiq (It will take some time to get used to such a device!):
    Vompt's sketchbook

Master studies and a photo study (First is a Sargent and second a John William Waterhouse):
    Vompt's sketchbook

And finally a work in progress. I'm coloring this huge background that you've probably seen earlier. I do feel that it tends to falls too dark at certain areas:
    Vompt's sketchbook

Until next time, enjoy!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketches! You have a great imagination to come up with cool things like this. There's some anatomy mistake here and there, arm too long, head too big, legs to short, but nothing dramatic. It's been a long time since your last post thou, are you busy, or working? Try to post more if you can (I should too XD) The two master studies, the colors are super accurate, only problem is in both studies, the faces are too large, like the eyes are too far from each other. But you probably already noticed your mistakes. For the huge background, man I feel like this is going to be long to paint I like the palette, it has a great mood to it. Don't forget to add highlight on your focal point. And it's just a suggestion, but if you could add a spot of red somewhere, it would be awesome. I feel like a little red, maybe just a flag I don't know, would really catch our attention and enrich your palette! But you do as you visualize it keep posting !

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Fynch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynch View Post
    Cool sketches! You have a great imagination to come up with cool things like this. There's some anatomy mistake here and there, arm too long, head too big, legs to short, but nothing dramatic. It's been a long time since your last post thou, are you busy, or working? Try to post more if you can (I should too XD) The two master studies, the colors are super accurate, only problem is in both studies, the faces are too large, like the eyes are too far from each other. But you probably already noticed your mistakes. For the huge background, man I feel like this is going to be long to paint I like the palette, it has a great mood to it. Don't forget to add highlight on your focal point. And it's just a suggestion, but if you could add a spot of red somewhere, it would be awesome. I feel like a little red, maybe just a flag I don't know, would really catch our attention and enrich your palette! But you do as you visualize it keep posting !
    Thanks man! Well, for the anatomy, I very well aware of it and it really bugs me! Got to get back at my anatomy books!
    As for the studies, the first one (the Sargent study) I chose the colors and then I check if it's accurate. For the Waterhouse study and the photo study, I color picked all the way. Shame on me! I know I'm should never do that or I'll won't learn anything, it's just when I made those, I was using my Cintiq for digital painting for the first time. I really wanted to test it out to see how it goes for this kind of work. It works awesome! A cintiq makes things so much more intuitive!

I haven't posted for a while because I could'nt do much on the internet because I didn't want to break my internet usage. If I did, I'd have to pay extra fees to videotron >

I don't have much to say this week other than my huge ass background (the one at the bottom) is really long to make. I really really really really want to get it done!

Life drawings:
    Vompt's sketchbook

Morning sketches (I felt like doing self portraits):
    Vompt's sketchbook

Wanted to do something else other than a study:
    Vompt's sketchbook

And work in progress, and Fynch, thanks for the great idea! I think I know what to do with it!:
    Vompt's sketchbook

Until next week, enjoy!

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice man! Your anatomy study are starting a bit to look more 3d. Would be nice if you'd come to do gesture drawing with us in my course with Hubert! It's Friday morning. Now we are doing the midterm project, but after the strike, we'll be back with the models, and last time Claudel Savard came. Anyway, be careful, when you do portrait/faces, there's a problem with the symmetry of the eyes. Try to have a double check on this!

And man, I have to tell you... NEVER USE THE COLOR PICKER! hahaha I know it was just for testing, but never do this again, when I did my course with Noah, he was super clear on this

And I understand for the videotron download thing, I have the same problem, only 60 GO per month

Anyway great progress so far!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Fynch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, I really miss Hubert and the gang from school. The camaraderie was so much fun. It not like at home, all alone. I would love to come but I can't on Friday mornings but I do come by at school on Thursday nights and sometimes on Tuesday nights. I haven't seen you at school Where are you?

If I heard right about the student strike, it could last just as long as the last one? Here's some advice if it does last for more or less 7 months; Use that time to learn what you want to learn. There is probably some stuff at school that they didn't teach you or something you want to get better at so this will be the perfect opportunity to do so. That's what I did and I didn't regret it. What you will have learned during that time will help you tremendously when you get back to school.

And on next study I make, I promise to not use the color picker ever again! (Maybe just to color check if the color is right from time to time )

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I'm posting a bit earlier before I break my internet usage (again). I've been concentrating so much on my background. I'm almost done!

Morning sketches:
    Vompt's sketchbook

Life drawing (I tried from photos this time):
    Vompt's sketchbook

work in progress:
    Vompt's sketchbook

My Sketchbook

My tumblr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 31