Returning after a long time away! - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of improvement. Lovin the penis monsters. Just my cup of tea. Keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to iambanana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 860 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice work crane

if you want explore more bargue drawings

here's how to make the full exercice

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=113729

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=113729

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very nice. try to understand the fundamental shapes, cube/sphere/tube when you draw it will save you a lot of time cause you will learn about the structure of things!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. That's a crap load of sketchbooks! That's awesome that you're going to try to fill them all!

There's some nice stuff going on so far. I especially like your latest update in post #209. (Some really awesome studies in that one! Is that pen you're drawing in? If it is, you're a lot braver than I am!) What the proportions on the stuff you're doing from imagination -- sometimes things look slightly off. (Your line quality is kind of interesting, however, and it almost makes me gloss over the anatomy mistakes because they look kind of cool, instead of just like mistakes. XD)

Keep up the good work, you're improving really fast!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 673 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa Crane, that's a respectable library of art books. Good stuff. I've recently started working on a collection as well. How's Rakuga King treating you? I got mine in the mail today, think it's fantastic.

Good to hear you've got a tablet. Was just wondering about whether you also worked digital since we've got the SSG studies going. Don't want to leave people out when deciding on topics, you see. Also, the Daily Sketch Group is a great place to have fun and practice with digital sketching.

Congrats on desecrating that first sketchbook! Finished it off with some great monsters. I like those human/monster hybrids; they allow you to try crazy stuff while practising anatomy and different materials. I enjoy the ones in #204 and the last post because you've taken time for some shading. Going well for you, try that some more!

Try taking small mini-breaks to take some distance and review the entire drawing to spot proportion issues. Takes a second. Drawing 'all over' the place rather than focusing on one area at a time can work too. I find that when I get too caught up in e.g. shading one area, it's easy to completely lose track of the rest. Resulting in stuff not sitting well together.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Crane! Keep up the studies. Train your eye in observation and doing your best in putting them down on paper.

The Bargue drawings are a great way of doing that because a lot of the drawings are simplified into straight lines and distinguishable lights and shadows. This allows you to focus on the big shapes rather than the small details. Details are only secondary because if you don't have a strong foundation, everything else will just fall apart.

Also look at your angles, alignments, size relationships, negative shapes, etc. and always compare your drawing to what you're observing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Terrible busy.

Few studies, including a terada copy and mod.

Name:  P7310031_655x873.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  P7310034_873x655.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  P7310036_873x655.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  P7310037_873x655.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  P7310039_873x655.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  P7310042_873x655.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  P7310044_873x655.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  50.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update. (I know this time of year is crazy for a lot of people.)

The hand studies look great and the first picture (and the variant) is too funny. (Something about it just cracks me up.) If I had to nitpick something, I feel like I want to see a highlight of some sort on the eye of the seal, but that's really all I've got.

Keep up the good work!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 860 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the last terada copy is great

your lines are getting better with those studies

but try to keep that confidence with photo/life studies
    remember: coping other artist is much easier than interpreting real life subjects, you must make your brain work much more

good luck with nexts

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are great! I may be way off, but it looks like you sometimes rush through your drawings. You might benefit from slowing down and really concentrate on the markmaking. Keep drawing!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya Crane!

Great sketches Nice start on the mega sketchbook challenge! Don't have anything to add to what the other guys have said so I'll just say "Keep it up, you can definitely see an improvement already."

Oh, I guess I do have something to add if you've not already heard it, sometimes it's easier to see values and shapes when you squint and it can help you to not focus on the details too much.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 673 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Shame to hear you're busy, because I'd love to see more of whatever you're busy with.
    That being said, I hope whatever activity you're busy with is actually art related and not some other nefarious mischief. Because those last couple of drawings are kind of crazy, with Stacey's mum being the pinnacle of said craziness.

Silliness aside- please get posting again!

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Returning after a long time away.

Crits and friends welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Krane; July 11th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first commission!

Hello people old and new.

I've been away for a long time and felt the urge to return to the place it all started for me. When I left I lacked focus and drive and wasn't a help to myself or anyone else.
    Recently I've gained drive and focus, I don't know how or why but it just happened one day and has been getting stronger each day.

I've been putting my stuff on DA but there is no way I'm going to get the help I need there, lets face it haha.

So I hope I can find old friends and/or make new ones.

The start of my journey to find my drive was a weird one, I play a game called 'Heroes of Newerth' and frequent the forums a lot, a while ago they hosted a creative contest in which we were tasked with creating one or more comics based around the game. This was my first attempt;

Name:  hon comic final smaller.png
Views: 241
Size:  535.1 KB

Clearly nothing great, the idea actually grew out of a pen sketch I liked enough to colour digitally (the face at the bottom), which was fairly new to me as I'd only just gotten a tablet and sketchbook pro 6 but I enjoyed it enough to do another;

Name:  the truth about denying smaller.png
Views: 239
Size:  630.2 KB

A bit better, I actually spent a good bit of time on this one, the bottom pose was as adventurous as I've ever gotten at this point XD terrible I know but I've got to start somewhere right?

My 3rd comic, I was on a roll in terms of focus and the drive to create;

Name:  treecomic finalsmaller.png
Size:  912.5 KB

A fairly quick pen sketch I scanned in to colour, obviously my ... everything could do with some serious work but I got the idea in context down and was able to win the contest with this one when it came to picking the winners.

My fourth comic;

Name:  hagcomicfinalsmaller.png
Views: 239
Size:  753.8 KB

The one I spent the most time on, a clear improvement from the first I felt, I saw that I was actually improving and not at a terrible rate either so I was spurred on to create more stuff!

On the same game forum a thread popped up about someone wanting to get a tattoo of some game art and wanted opinions on what piece he should get, I noticed he offered 50 aus dollars for a custom piece, I knew this wasn't much at all, especially after the exchange into GBP but it took the opportunity and messaged him about it.

We went back and forth with ideas and eventually came up with something he'd like; this was by far the hardest thing I'd undertaken at this point and despite it not being much someone was actually paying me for it, so the pressure was on.

After a week I finished it, the client liked it and paid me but it turned out that the piece was too big for a tattoo and he wanted to change it into a poster piece and asked me to do a background for another 50 which I was happy to do. After another week I'd finished that too;

Name:  backfinishedsmall.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  145.8 KB

Clearly I was well out of my comfort zone but the client was happy enough with it. It gave me confidence to carry on creating and so I did....

Last edited by Krane; 1 Week Ago at 10:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another contest!

Another contest was being hosted on the HoN forums and I had the bug at this point. The guidelines was that you could use pre done art (by the studio hosting the contest) or you could make your own, obviously I wanted to make my own, they wanted 1 or more banners created that they would use in upcoming contests of kind.

I made several banners, in order;

Name:  behebannersmallimproved.png
Views: 238
Size:  324.4 KB
    Name:  cthubannersmall.png
Views: 236
Size:  480.9 KB
    Name:  pyrobannersmall.png
Size:  297.1 KB
    Name:  geobannersmall.png
Views: 237
Size:  391.5 KB
    Name:  pearlbannersmall.png
Size:  337.4 KB
    Name:  behepearlbannersmall.png
Size:  307.1 KB

Two of them were picked as winning entries to be used and I was very happy with how things were turning out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My second commission!

I recently got back in touch with a gaming buddy and started playing HoN with him. He mentioned that his girlfriend was pregnant and that he wanted to to make a children's book where at the end it asked his girlfriend to marry him, he was using a rather terrible online drag and drop book making site that would print the book and send it to him, needless to say I offered to custom make him this book and he was delighted to hear that and was more than willing to pay me for my work.

Sadly he wasn't able to afford the whole book at this point but instead commissioned a proposal piece that he would get blown up and framed.

Here is that piece;

Name:  joshillusmall.jpg
Size:  322.8 KB

I felt I was improving at this point, especially my environments but my figures left a lot to be desired but my friend was happy with it and this only helped my confidence.

I'm still working in sketchbook pro 6 at this point and needless to say as great as it is for sketching, it isn't the tool I'd use to paint in :/

Side note; Funny thing about this piece, I accidentally set the size unit to inches instead of pixels and then wondered why it made my computer lag like crazy, turns out the actual size of this piece was 0.9 metres by 1.3 metres XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A personal project.

To give myself something to focus on I decided to undertake a personal project and create some items I would like to see an alternative avatar for my favourite hero in HoN use.

Name:  Portalkeyitemssmall.png
Size:  403.4 KB
    Name:  Manaringitemssmall.png
Size:  853.8 KB
    Name:  behefeetsmall.png
Views: 234
Size:  975.2 KB

I tried to do various designs and get myself used to not getting to attached to one design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Something amazing happens!

Another contest on the HoN forums, but not just any contest, one where the winner would be able to get their idea made into an avatar and put into the game! This was the dream at this point, I wanted nothing more than to win this and get my idea into the game.

And so I set off to do just that, I worked on it constantly for weeks, painting it up and tearing it down until I got it right, I did more work than anyone in this and any previous contest has ever done in a bid to be the winner.

This is what I came up with;

Garan the Rune Weaver!

Name:  oowaaahh.jpg
Size:  123.4 KB
    Name:  behe fissure small.png
Size:  812.5 KB
    Name:  Rune weaver illu small.jpg
Size:  134.2 KB
    Name:  Garan splash.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  295.8 KB
    Name:  Rune weaver sheet.jpg
Size:  265.7 KB

It was a tense time leading up to the winners announcement but it was totally worth it because they had chosen my idea along with one other, my idea is getting put into my favourite game for my favourite hero, I couldn't be happier at this point! It also confirmed that I had a future in making art that people liked enough to put into their game, to pay me for it so there was and still is no stopping me at this point

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another project!

After winning the contest I was inspired to make my own story arc based around my winning entry.

This is the Crystal Golem, an avatar idea for another hero I am basing the lore around. This piece took me a long time and a learnt a lot along the way of doing it. I am very happy with how it turned out considering where I was not a few months prior.

Name:  pebs sheet.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  270.1 KB

Name:  pebs colour sheet detail.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  212.6 KB

Next I wanted to make a full illustration, this was a very painful learning experience to say the least, I head head first into my limits, the lack of knowledge in a lot of fundamentals, my values were off, my pose and anatomy was terrible, my colours just didn't work at all but I pushed through knowing that I needed to do this and that I was learning a great deal no matter how much it angered and upset me.

Name:  The shrouded gate modified.jpg
Size:  243.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Time for study.

I've never been the smartest when it comes to studying, I avoid it like the plague and end up doing everything the hard way, by trial and error despite just mere feet away I have dozens of books with incredible advice and tutorials in them, I have dozens of videos on every subject I can imagine and yet I was stalwart against actually using them, I was fairly dumb to say the least haha.

I forced myself to watch, listen, read and actually take in what was being said, starting with James Gurney's light and colour, an incredible book that I intend to read into ruin and have to buy a new one!

I found a photo of a deer standing in a pool of water looking at a fish and had the urge to paint it, I changed a lot, added my own elements but tried to keep Mr Gurney's words in mind, I finally finished it a day or two ago and while there are many things wrong with it I happy with my progress

Name:  fishanddeer1.jpg
Size:  280.4 KB

This is my latest piece more or less, I am looking forward to continuing this journey here, back on CA, I hope to make new friends along the way, so don't be shy please!

Thank you for looking!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey welcome back! Great stuff so far! I really like your texture and how the different surfaces feel like they're receiving different rendering treatments; it adds a really nice tactile feeling to the image.

That's great that you're getting into absorbing new resources, especially Gurney's books. Sometimes it can be overwhelming when you realize that all the information you want is out there, but you have to go through tons and tons of resources to find it.

One crit I have for you right now is that the color in your images, especially the last one, feels a bit compartmentalized, like the different objects aren't affecting each other. In the deer study, that turquoise water should be reflecting very noticeable color onto the underbelly of the deer and the sides of the trees. You could also emphasize the color of the light source on the lit planes of the objects to emphasize the sense of light in the scene and contrast with the aqua.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dierat!

Thanks for the welcome and the crit, I don't know how I missed the reflected light -.- blerh.

I don't understand exactly what you mean by this though; 'You could also emphasize the color of the light source on the lit planes of the objects to emphasize the sense of light in the scene and contrast with the aqua.'

Probably super obvious but I'm dumb apparently lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, sorry, I just wrote it in a confusing way. Basically I think adding the color of the light (yellow-orange for bright sunlight in this case I think) to the top planes of everything and adding the reflected light color (blue-green) to the undersides would make the light more noticeable and kinda tie the scene together.

Quick paint-over. I also pushed the values a little with the curves tool and added some darker shadows around the terminator lines.

Name:  fishanddeer1_PO.png
Views: 210
Size:  445.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thank you so much for the paint over, instantly looks miles better.

I thought that is what you meant but I couldn't be sure, I knew something was really off but couldn't be sure what, seems super obvious now and I feel silly for missing it :/

I'm not sure I have the curves tool thing in manga studio but I can achieve the same results by paying attention to the values etc from the get go, right?

Really big thanks, this is reaaaaallly helpful, I wish I could return it in kind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah right, you use Manga Studio. Well in this case, using curves didn't make as much of a difference as adding more prominent shadows to the terminator line and brightening the top planes with some light yellow. One thing that the curves tool did that I liked is it lightened the water and made it slightly more blue, but that's something that you could easily do by hand (just takes a little longer).

36. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I can't afford photoshop and to be honest manga studio is great, can do a lot of cool things PS can't.

I needed reminding of the terminator, completely forgot all about it :/ at the moment I'm working on gestures and soon anatomy, very weak areas for me I should have a better understanding of them by now but nope, bone idleness strikes again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some gesture practice, never done gestures before so I don't know if I'm approaching it correctly... Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Name:  gesture 1.png
Views: 195
Size:  472.6 KB
    Name:  gesture 2.png
Views: 194
Size:  350.5 KB
    Name:  gestures 3.png
Views: 192
Size:  435.5 KB
    Name:  gestures 4.png
Views: 193
Size:  403.6 KB
    Name:  gestures 5.png
Views: 190
Size:  401.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Proko has some really good videos on gesture that are super inspiring. (You can only attach 1 video per post so the last two are in link form.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I_egPHop9A

There was also a very long post about gesture drawing on the forums lately that might also be of use to you:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...46#post3705946

40. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot about proko's stuff somehow, super awesome videos, thanks for reminding me. I remembered why I stopped anatomy studies before, it's so daunting come face to face with such a deep subject.. scary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some gestures after watching Proko's video, got a better feel for what they actually are.

Name:  gestues 6.png
Views: 175
Size:  502.8 KB
    Name:  gesture7.png
Views: 174
Size:  406.1 KB
    Name:  New cahkgkjkjnvas.png
Views: 173
Size:  507.3 KB

A logo thing I did for a contest on a gaming forum.

Name:  banned.png
Views: 173
Size:  522.0 KB

And a study of a knight piece by Tahra on DA http://tahra.deviantart.com/gallery/.

Name:  knight study.png
Views: 176
Size:  743.5 KB

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com