Beakyree - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Beakyree - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beakyree - Composition 1.1

Here's my first (and hopefully not only) study:

Name:  GirlWithTurkeys.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  215.2 KB

I picked this image because it was the simplest of my twenty I thought the contrast gave emphasis to the figure and there's quite a bit of economy in the background elements. The turkeys and the movement of the dress add variety. He's also created a sense of movement by having the shadow follow the line of the wall.

This took around two hours. I think I focused a little too much on merely recreating the image instead of learning from it. (Caught myself leaving whole areas unfinished and working on details...) However, I did notice that he often uses very subtle dark lines on certain edges to bring out the form. The shadows also have much more defined edges than appear on first glance. Picking values is something I often have trouble with, so to be able to get fairly close without the eyedropper was very satisfying!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Beakyree, nice job with values. The shapes are a bit off though, what I think would have helped you here is to connect the feeling of the curves, I see some curves in the dress that follow the rythm of the curves of the legs, so I would try to establish those shapes in one trace, instead of trying to define the leg isolated. I hope I explained myself well

4. The Following User Says Thank You to souldroid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You explained perfectly ^^ Thanks for pointing out those connected curves! I definitely added the legs after nearly finishing the dress...
    Next time I'll try to set out the lines of the whole form first, instead of separately completing various parts.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,141 Times in 2,688 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great start!! I agree that getting the shapes a little closer would bring up quality. Also you went with a hot spot on her forehead so do double check your lightest lights and darkest darks so you can gauge the other values from those. This is going to be a great thread. Keep up the good work.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits! ^^
    Here's today's study:
    Name:  PortraitOfABoyInAWhiteSuit.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  265.5 KB

I liked this image because of the way shadows are used for economy. The simple background and dark colors make the boy's suit really stand out, and there's lots of detailing in the floor that adds visual interest.

The face was hard to see values on and I still think it's a little flat >_< However, I was able to restrain myself from going too much into details this time. Cut myself off at 1.5 hours. Instead of trying to make a direct copy I focused on trying to get the shapes all blocked in at once. I also tried to avoid having any obvious hotspots. Apparently I need to do some leg studies, they gave me trouble in this image too!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,141 Times in 2,688 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work. You are on the right track, improvement wise. Keep focused on accurate shapes first, then values, then edges and texture. There are some major value differences happening in her face, which should be caught a little earlier in the block in, but overall the value range is very close and you did a nice job. Some of the painterly marks are also really nice, so good work capturing the feel of paint. Keep at those shapes. You can get even more accurate than you are there.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Very nice work. You are on the right track, improvement wise. Keep focused on accurate shapes first, then values, then edges and texture. There are some major value differences happening in her face, which should be caught a little earlier in the block in, but overall the value range is very close and you did a nice job. Some of the painterly marks are also really nice, so good work capturing the feel of paint. Keep at those shapes. You can get even more accurate than you are there.

JM
    Thanks Jason! Normally I paint the face first but I'm finding with these studies I'm doing it last, which causes me to rush >_< I'll try to spend more early-on time blocking in accurate shapes in my next study.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beakyree For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 18