fllamjr - Composition 1.1

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: fllamjr - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fllamjr - Composition 1.1

Hello!

I'm new here in conceptart.org and just started with the workshop to improve my art, namely color, composition, buildings and backgrounds or better yet create a more solid style.

I aim to become a concept artist or character designer for games and such; I am a big fan of Akihiko Yoshida (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story) and Evan Lee, Hyung Tae Kim. Artists I look up to include Fenghua Zhong, Joao Ruas, LINRAN, Yong Sub Noh and Zhang Lu among many others.

Critiques for my works are absolutely welcome!

I have the following questions:

A. Do we need to copy/base specifically from old masters? Or can I copy from the artists I listed above?
    B. If it's a yes and we can't copy from above artists, can anyone help or guide me which old master should I pick or base from the works of Fenghua Zhong, Tong Sub Noh, Zhang Lu or Evan Lee.
    C. Also, on a different topic, it seems my attachments are piling up when I removed an image and attached a new one, please save me . . . (Figured this out on my own, a menu in you profile settings thing)

John Singer Sargent artwork study

In the meantime, I started the workshop with with I chose Sargent because I saw his name pop up in some art sites I visited, like "Sargent Study", then I looked for his works and got interested because somehow I liked his strokes...? I loved doing this, specially how he painted the eyes, mouth and mustache! All in all this was fun, this was only the first or second for me (copying from a master) and I found it to be good practice. This helped me loosen up a bit and be more aware of values to make the work pop-up.

I spent about 2-3 hours on this I think? Then I re-read the instructions then it hit me that I should have done it in 1 hour max and not doing the details, I'm sorry for that, my bad, I think I got caught up in the moment so i stopped on this progress hahaha. Didn't get all values right, but again was happy with the process (not the time), i need more practice!

Name:  sargent.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  93.2 KB

Last edited by fllamjr; July 12th, 2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: edited question
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fenghua Zhong artwork study

Fenghua Zhong is one of my inspirations, he may be a modern cg artist but I consider him at a master's level. His works usually involve dynamic movement and splendid colors with confident brush strokes. In this piece, using the rule of thirds, he emphasized on the movement of the characters/elements that leads the viewer to enjoy the harmony between the foot soldiers and the samurai that is riding a horse which is the focus of the painting.

This took me roughly an hour and a half? I wanted to work faster compared to my first piece. But if permitted and instructed to, I can continue polishing, since I'm not that happy with this yet, I feel that I'm still far away in getting the right values.

Name:  fenghua zhong.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  213.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yong Sub Noh artwork

Another great artist that inspires me, maybe I'll do one of his environment art as another study. I love how he emphasizes figures with his lightning as shown on this painting, and this emphasis adds more drama and intrigue to the darker valued sides of the artwork.

This took me 2 hours and I'm not happy still with my speed as well as getting the values, I still need a lot of improvement.

Name:  yong sub noh.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  131.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Struggling to really ignore details and just focus on values haha

Frank Frazetta artwork

I love the dynamic of the movement of the pose and the contrast between the dark valued centaur/creature with the highlighted woman and moon background.

I stopped at 1 hour, still not happy with my speed and getting the right values

Name:  frank frazetta 1.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  113.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stopped at 2 hours, I guess I'm not really cut off for speed yet haha Not really happy with the time as well as getting the values

Maybe I'll just focus on values next and not think too much of the time.

William Adolphe Bouguereau artwork

I love the playfulness of the piece, the dynamic forms/poses and his mastery of values.

Name:  William-Adolphe Bouguereau.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  117.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your on the track,these are coming along nicely. The purpose of this assignment
    is to see what we see, not what we want to see. Try mapping out the shapes of these paintings
    accurately and dont worry about the time limit. If you need more time on these then go for it, as speed
    will come later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice! Then I shall keep that in mind and not worry about the time limit.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,208 Times in 2,751 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am in agreement. Shapes are super key. You are doing great for the time limit but slowing down a bit to really nail the shapes will make for an immediate quality bump. Here is what I had to say earlier about shapes as it completely applies. (For example you are placing your figures a little low in the format...ie the females heads in the prior two images are a bit lower than the original, placement wise).

When you are first getting started it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I'll keep this in mind, I'll focus on shapes and values in the meantime and keep fresh eyes to get them right.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fllamjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Focused on shapes and values, I had fun with this one! It's not perfect but I enjoyed working on this

Please don't ask about the time haha

Evan Lee Artwork

Name:  evan lee 4.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  130.0 KB

Last edited by fllamjr; July 14th, 2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: edited image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Work Man! The only crit that I can give is to improve those edges on upper left corner.
    This something I need to work on as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I appreciate your crit, it's nice that I get to see stuff I missed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work. My only comment was covered in the prior crit. Just keep them coming at this point. Great job.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I just edited the image, and yes I'll keep them coming!

Last edited by fllamjr; July 21st, 2014 at 07:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great. keep it up and I look forward to the updates.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the composition and movement on this piece as well as the contrast of values of the woman's skin and her clothing.

I concentrated on getting the right values and shapes on this study but not to perfection and tried to go for details but not too much like on most folds and ornaments; worked more than 2 or 3 hours or more (actually didn't time it haha)

John Singer Sargent artwork study

Name:  john singer sargent 2.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  114.9 KB

Last edited by fllamjr; July 24th, 2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: edited image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy looking at your paintings. I think you're very bold to take on such difficult master-studies.

I'm just here to show support for now as I have no critique to give.

In this latest Sargent piece you can see much improvement.
    Keep up the great work.

Free for commissioned work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the contrast is a bit too low, but it's still a good job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ MeteorCat: Oh wow that means a lot! Thank you!
    @ Graft: Thank you as well! This just means I still have long way to go haha I have adjusted the image, added more whites and blacks, hopefully this got more closer to the original.

Thanks again for the comments! That was big push.

I'll try to work on another study after I finish (hopefully) my entry for CHOW

By the way, anyone know if can I do both composition 1.1 and 1.2, color and light 1.1 and 1.2 at the same time?

Last edited by fllamjr; July 24th, 2014 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you make this look easy, they are all effortlessly cool. Good luck with your CHOW, it's a really beautiful job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful job. You are on the right track 100 percent. At this point just keep them coming and keep consistent with the quality and you are good to go.

jm

Members who have read this thread: 38