jptannus - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: jptannus - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face jptannus - Composition 1.1

Hi,

I'm always like to draw but I decided to take my art skills more seriously so I found this thread and the Composition 1.1 class. That was good to learn a lot and have a direction to practice. I'm using a Bamboo, but still struggling to make natural and precise movements on it.

So here is my first excercice. I wanted to spend more time on it, but the rule said 1 hour so this is what I did in that time frame:

Léon Delafosse by John Singer Sargent
    Name:  composition_01.png
Views: 288
Size:  276.8 KB

I liked the piece because it is simple in terms of details but it have unity.
    The piece got repetition in the movement of the hair, mustache and eyebrows.
    Got the skin reflexes make you move your eye to see everything.
    There is simplicity all around too. Some angles that make it very interesting.

About my result, I think I need to improve my speed so I can do more.
    The eyes aren't looking at me, I didn't add the dark between the light in the bottom part, no lighting on the lips and ear too. The head is not tilted like the original. Anyway plenty room to work

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my second:

A Capriote by John Singer Sargent
    Name:  composition_02.png
Views: 28
Size:  248.5 KB

This piece have an emphasys on the jewelry and the neck.
    I think I bit more confortable on the brush settings in Photoshop, but still not good on the shapes and anatomy.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,092 Times in 2,644 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok great to see where you are at. When you are first getting started it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Also, using a soft edged airbrush at low opacity will be good to brush values down in a way that builds up forms and value gradients that suggest volume. Also for adjusting edges. start with your focus on shapes though as you are very close now, and we just need to push a little bit closer and you will be good to go. These are pretty good for your first start at this...so you are on the right track.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok great to see where you are at. When you are first getting started it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Also, using a soft edged airbrush at low opacity will be good to brush values down in a way that builds up forms and value gradients that suggest volume. Also for adjusting edges. start with your focus on shapes though as you are very close now, and we just need to push a little bit closer and you will be good to go. These are pretty good for your first start at this...so you are on the right track.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the feedback!

I wasn't flipping the image in any way and I didn't try to stay more distant from it. I'll remember to do that while doing the next compositions. Also I'll try to dedicate more time in first attempt to draw the shapes before moving on. I did spend in the end a good amount of time trying to fix some shape and position issues.

Thanks again!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jptannus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome. I look forward to the updates.

jm

Members who have read this thread: 12