Concept art and playing videogames

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Concept art and playing videogames

I discovered the concept artist job after playing few big game titles on pc. I don't own a consolle and right now I prefer to focus on studiyng art and keep money for material. The question is: do you think that playing a lot of videogames gives people who want to become concept artists any advantage?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,387 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No it takes away from learning how to make art.Just like listening to music won't help you to play an instrument.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Ebz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is much to learn before becoming a concept artist, even those like me who have been learning for a few years, are still not quite at a level of expertise in this area.
    But I would say, as long as you do not dwell to long on it, there is something to be gained from viewing the artwork on other games, to kinda get a feel of what type of form and color is used in the making of the artwork. But if while you were there, take an extra moment to also notice the characters and how they fit in and how they likely look like they belong in their surroundings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JCoolArts For This Useful Post:

Ebz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed. It's possible that a video game could serve as inspiration for artwork and give off ideas..but in and of itself, there's no real advantage..

In fact, I know of too many "artists" who play tons of video games and I haven't seen their work improve directly because of gaming.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to YangDaniel027 For This Useful Post:

Ebz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idk if you've seen them, but Feng Zhu's Design Cinema covers this pretty thoroughly. He says that when your younger, playing video games can be an important part of building up a visual library of details and forms that you can call on in art. Along with video games, other things like books, museums, and travel can help up this library, so video games are by no means the only way to do this. However, when you are studying art, it can be a huge time sink. He recommends watching "Lets Play" videos on youtube so that you don't get addicted to playing the game, you don't have to have a #1 pc, but you can still get some of the effect of the game.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gtm1260 For This Useful Post:

Ebz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dpaint: Listening to music actually helps to become better in creating your own pieces. Your brain subconsciously saves some riffs/dynamics/licks while listening to music which you enjoy and often those elements are mixed with your own creativity when making something new. At least that's my experience as a guitar player.

@Ebz: I think you should check out some 'Art of...' books from games/movies which you like (e.g: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Diablo.../dp/B008ASJ5G4). You will get some inspirations without wasting time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Three Dee For This Useful Post:

Ebz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (This thread seems old, but I'll post anyways just to insert my quick opinion)
    Yes and no. Video games can help develop a visual library which will be the basis for art, but it shouldn't be the only supplement.
    Studying from real life is the really the best way to develop new ideas for concept art or art in general. I would say that almost everything made by people derives from real life, so just study from that.

Also why play video games? You can just watch someone play. (I think someone already mentioned that)

Members who have read this thread: 51