Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Kuroro's Sketchbook

Thanks

Kuroro's Sketchbook

Hello everyone! I've been drawing for about two years now, but lately I don't feel like I'm improving much and that's why I've decided to sign up so critiques are welcome
    From now on I'll try to post on a weekly basis pretty much everything I draw.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kuroro; December 21st, 2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Uploaded new thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's what I drew today

Thanks
    These are the things I drew today

Thanks
    Lately I don't really have a lot of free time so I'm not drawing as much as I'd like to, anyway today I did these.

Thanks
    Ops, I forgot to post yesterday

Thanks
    Your hand studies and blocked shapes are quite good!

One thing I'm noticing with a lot of the more rendered gesture studies is that they seem stiff. The outlines are clean but they don't have much motion and the form seems incomplete. Many of the line-and-joint ones seem a bit more free-flowing. When drawing the base sketch, perhaps use more exaggerated curves to suggest motion and then build the form off that.

I found this video was helpful for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI

I would also suggest doing some studies of arms. To my eye, your grasp of leg shape is pretty good. The arms, in comparison, seem less formed. (I should take my own advice, arms are the bane of my drawings...tricky bone structures! Grr).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beakyree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beakyree View Post
    Your hand studies and blocked shapes are quite good!

One thing I'm noticing with a lot of the more rendered gesture studies is that they seem stiff. The outlines are clean but they don't have much motion and the form seems incomplete. Many of the line-and-joint ones seem a bit more free-flowing. When drawing the base sketch, perhaps use more exaggerated curves to suggest motion and then build the form off that.

I found this video was helpful for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI

I would also suggest doing some studies of arms. To my eye, your grasp of leg shape is pretty good. The arms, in comparison, seem less formed. (I should take my own advice, arms are the bane of my drawings...tricky bone structures! Grr).
    Thank you so much! I followed your advice and spent some time working on arms as you can see below, also I'll keep in mind what you told me about my figure drawings and try to push things a bit more in the future.

Thanks
    Nice, some of those arm studies are looking good ^^ I particularly see improvement in the ones where you've defined the musculature. Props to you for doing bone and muscle sketches!

I remember doing Loomis skeleton studies in a class (like this). They're good for gesture studies because you can keep a loose, flowy quality but have a little more substance to work with. I found that it helped me picture how the body masses might be formed on top of the gesture.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment on my sketchbook! Great start! Don't have really much to say right now but keep it up and compare yourself to other artists!
    "What are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their potential? Fear or laziness?" -Waking life
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart
    Pinterest

Thanks
    Thanks Uyeno!

Beakyree thanks for the kind words as for Loomis' skeleton I don't really like it honestly, to me it seems a bit too elaborated to be used for quick gesture drawings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroro View Post
    ...as for Loomis' skeleton I don't really like it honestly, to me it seems a bit too elaborated to be used for quick gesture drawings.
    Totally fair point. There's particular types of gesture drawing that I just can't get my head around either. Like the scribble method :/

There's some good motion going on in the top image there; the fighting-type poses in the lower corners particularly. The characters are starting to look more believable as actors in 3D space - you can start to see that they're in the middle of doing or being.

In terms of the portraits, one thing to watch out for is eye and mouth placement. Flipping the canvas every so often will help point out any crookedness or misplaced features. I actually think it would be cool to see the male portrait as a completely high-contrast piece. His hair is quite striking - it might be a fun study to block in shadows and light on the face with equally stark lights and darks. Just a thought ^^

Thanks
    Thanks! Today I tried that tip about flipping the canvas and found it to be very useful Anyway I'll come back to the portrait I did yesterday when I'm a bit better so as to do some sort of "draw this again" thing too

Thanks
    I definitely see improvement! The rendered gesture studies are looking a lot less stiff overall. The males are a still a bit blocky, though - it might be worth doing some extra work with them. I would imagine they're harder to render (at least in my experience) because they don't have such obvious curves to work with. Something that helped me was finding some reference photos and making a few quick over-sketches to see where the curves are. Males do have them! They're just a lot more subtle and often located in different places because of their muscle mass.

I notice you like to draw headshots. Something that you might enjoy is doing some hair studies! Reference photos from runway fashion shows are often fun to draw - sometimes the models have some pretty crazy elaborate hair ^^ It's also fun to take a sketchbook on the bus, to a library, or a coffee shop - somewhere that has lots of people who will be sitting still - and make sketches of their hairstyles. Plus it's good practice to draw things that are around you!

Keep it up! You're doing really well with drawing on a regular basis.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast