Thanks

Davidskiwan Colour & Light 1.1

Mass light - The size of the mass light was much larger than the size of the mass shadow, this meant much more of the detail was in the transition/half tone
    Transition/half tone - I found this difficult to gauge as some were very subtle I find it hard to see where the mass light ends and the halftone begins
    Highlights - The highlights were important in defining the form on such areas as the eyes, just a touch of highlight gave it volume.
    Mass Shadow - Because the mass light was more dominant the amount of detail required in the mass shadow was less.
    Fill Light - This was nearly all that was needed to make the forms read in the mass shadow area
    Core Shadow - Only after finishing I really had noticed I hadn't pushed the core shadows to their full potential, perhaps i had too much diffuse light in the room.
    Cast Shadow - Again I don't think I observed this correctly, looking at the painting now, i remember how my eye was half covered in the shadow from my nose, but I didn't ever paint this detail in.

Davidskiwan Colour  & Light 1.1
    Last edited by Davidskiwan; July 3rd, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
    Thanks, Dave

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Dave! Nice job on your portrait. My suggestion would be to watch the values of some of the features. The mouth, eyebrows, and possibly some parts of the eyes seem like they are darker than they should be. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Nice start here.

As I said to two people tonight, I would recommend taking a look at sargent's and velasquez paintings to study the brush stroke directions that define structure, including the head and the neck. The light on the ears should describe the light direction and the planes as well. The light outlines on the ears suggest the light is all hitting the same planar direction at the moment. Great job on massing in the shapes of the light and shadow overall. One thing to try is to use brush sizes that accurately fit the size of the plane of the face or shape of light you are describing and seeing. That is something both sargent and velasquez excel at and so it is worthy of a look there at their work. Answers are within.

Keep up the good work.

JM