Feels flat.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Feels flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feels flat.

Could you guys give me a hand. The design is simple for modeling purposes but this is just a piece of art to go with the design and I feel that It needs something else. Any ideas?

Plus any crits is more than welcome.

Thanks Miguel

Name:  Insect_sniper_update6.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  240.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its very hard to determine the light source as the lighting seems inconsistent, its as if it has 2 primary sources. Where is the light coming from?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I was given the description that it was set on a gas like planet where its gas contains light particles and the ground itself is littered with small river and puddles which let of glowing aromas. Addition to this the armor has a few light sources such as his eyes and gizmos. I tired to give a 2 way lighting where one comes from benieth and the other varies from the amount of cloud around him. I know its confusing, I was just trying to stick to the brief

Thanks
    Thanked 2,301 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It feels flat simply because its structure is wobbly. The impression I get is that you had been just feeling the shapes out instead of constructing the robot as a solid form in perspective.

Lighting cannot help you a lot in such an environment, so the structural solidity gets an additional importance in this case.

However, lighting consistency could not hurt even in this case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems to me that both values and color saturation are flattening it. The darks on the character are very grey and never approach a true black, plus the light areas in the background are much bigger than light areas on the bug (I call him that affectionately). So for values, it would help to push lights and darks on the character and tone down the huge areas of light around him - that should help to push the background back a bit. And your color saturation is also just as strong all over the background as on the character. Same story as with values - keep them stronger on the character and lessen them in the bg to help make him pop more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers guys for both your replies. Really helped me out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would reply along the same lines as comment 2 (tone valies).
    I believe you need to get a similar tone on certain parts of the outline as the background (only certain parts (your choice), not all of it).

You have done this on the legs, which don't appear as flat and beter tie into the background. The whole upper body has a contrasting outline (dark<->light) which separates the image into one image glued on top of another. I believe if you'd be able to get a more similar tone on that outline, the creaturen will be pulled into the gas planet background, just like it's legs already are.

And then it will appear far less flat.

Last edited by Christof simons; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:39 AM.
    On a discovery voyage in drawing wonderland.
    Feel free to check out my sketchbook and leave a comment. I like the feedback to draw lessons from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Christof, really appreciate the help. I've done an update since last. Not a huge difference but I was wondering If i'm heading in the right direction. I've bounced the surrounding light more onto my character as well as sort out some lighting issues. I've also boosted the colour for better or worse just to see what it would look like. What do you think?

Name:  Nwestone_2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  367.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks amazing to me!! I think you've got it all sorted now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try picking one light source and see if it helps, i know the brief says theres multiple sources but experimenting with one may revitalise the image, i love the colours and i think its a cool design, also watch that tangent on his left arm, it clashes with the protrusion from his shoulder

Where is my mind?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rrorkk View Post
    try picking one light source and see if it helps, i know the brief says theres multiple sources but experimenting with one may revitalise the image, i love the colours and i think its a cool design, also watch that tangent on his left arm, it clashes with the protrusion from his shoulder
    Yeah your right with the arm, I'll give that a little adjustment. And with the lighting comment I think I will do when I do the turn around. Since I will be making a concept sheet with the mechanics and details explained.

Members who have read this thread: 37