Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Great updates! Line drawings are nice and clean with nice tonal work. Unless you're going for that style, don't forget to vary your color saturation and value a lot more. Although my opinion, you can also do the line drawings on different layers then reduce the opacity of them to avoid the harsh black outlines. You can then also paint the color of the form over the outline Eg the girl in the skirt could use beige skin on the outline instead of black to avoid flatness and that digital look.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey AJ!

Been a while now. I'm liking all the work you've been doing here, I also read what you said about keeping up a blog and I think you should only do it if you want a separate place for your stuff. Here on CA it's pretty good already because it's not necessary for you to only show finished stuff, if not it makes updating your SB a lot more slow like it's been said, it should be a smooth process you know? Just what you're doing is alright!

I like your studies on feet and the hands in perspective, that's not easy to do! Keep on doing more studies like that, also about arms, I find them a bit tricky to get as well. Planning the construction beneath and using ellipses over them to get the arm is what makes them all the trickier, just keep a long look at how you are doing them. It's not easy to do, I know. Don't get discouraged by that, keep on doing them and you'll see it get better!

Thanks
    Crankshaft - yep, yep and yep. Will do, the darker outlines weren't working anyway.

Gali - yeah I get you, you can block the arm out using elipses. I'll have a go at doing that next time!

Tired, not much to say - have some fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    So, I've been debating on whether or not i should repost the last 2 weeks of content. For now I'm going to assume that it's all gone for good, but thats okay it's not that big of a deal reposting it. So here is the stuff
    Last edited by AJams; March 1st, 2015 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks
    Part 2 of reuploading. Film study stuff!

Thanks
    Epic toilet paper studies. You can try doing versions with textures. Just remember that texture is most likely to be seen strongly in lit areas and would fade away from light.

Thanks
    Crankshaft - That sounds like a tough challenge I think, I might try after I get some character stuff out of the way. I found your comment pretty funny though, so thanks for that.

Okay so firstly here's a repost, which is of the girl with arms growing out of her hair. Which is utterly stupid of course, but it was fun to do! Second is a little redraw of an image from the first page of this here sketchbook thread, I think the new one (on the right) is an obvious improvement. Shout out to Dina2342 for helping me out on this one back then!

Thanks
    All credit to everything today goes to the original artists who I copied from an anatomy magazine I picked up. So, thanks original artists!

Thanks
    So exciting.

Thanks
    Looking good! Even though the the guy on the right is wearing a simple shirt it doesn't balance well in terms of details with the clothes on the left. Maybe try putting a decal on the shirt with some folds on it to counter balance?

Thanks
    Yeah, I think for my next update I'll fix that up because he does look a little lame. But truthfuly I was just being lazy.

- Been a bit since an update, havent been happy with what I've been producing lately so haven't uploaded any of it. But I thought at this point I really should just throw up something. So I've got some lame pencil sketches.

Thanks
    I forgot how to draw I think. Anyway, I said I would fix the guy, and I tried, but I ended up just changing his clothes. Looks better I think? And just to really shake things up some girls n' books!

Thanks
    Wow Ajams the revision of the guy looks awesome! It definitely looks more balanced now. You would make a great comic book artist. Regarding the 2 girls the girl on the right looks kind of washed out. It could be because the girl on the left looks more saturated color wise, particularly her intense bright red hair. The girl on the right, her right arm also looks a bit short/too blocky. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Hey thanks, I would like to make a comic some day, but thats some years away. With the last post, I drew the girl on the left with even more violently saturated hair initially, I fussed with it a bit - but ended up not getting it right and giving up. I'll fix that, and the arm later, but for now I have more of whatever this is.

Thanks
    Okay so I did a bit of a rush job at trying to fix the girls, at the least their skin tones are more even - and that hair is less violent. But other than that, oh, there's this.

Thanks
    Drawings from life, people in their natural habitats.

Thanks
    Great updates! I think the two girls look much better now!

Thanks
    Thanks Cranky.

Today, I have this.

Thanks
    I absolutely love your sketchbook! The redraw you did of the girl from the first page really blew me away, you've improved so much! Would you mind sharing any important tips you've learned when it comes to digital painting? I want to get into it but every time I try I just end up frustrated and not learning anything.

Thanks
    Looking good! I think the mouth looks small in proportion to the eyes and the rest of the face though. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Poogbooket - Thanks a lot! So, tips eh? I think if I was to (try) and offer you anything meaningful it would be easier to do so if I could look at some of what you've been doing. So get an SB going maybe? But I don't really know what I'm doing anyway.

Crankshaft - Don't even get me started on that mouth, so much fussing around for such little result. Although I think in the end everything is out of proportion anyway.

So I'll talk a bit about today's update, drawing people interacting with one another, is definately something worth working on. So I have that, then afterwards I felt like drawing robots. What I realised, is I have no idea how to draw robots, so I played around with working out how a humanoid robot would fit together. But then that got a little boring so I drew these dumb faces.
    Last edited by AJams; March 23rd, 2015 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    For today we have 2 very different scenes from 2 very different movies. But, both fun to do.

Thanks
    I think I should start drawing things that might be actually interesting... nah.
    Last edited by AJams; April 1st, 2015 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks
    Good work with those life drawings! Humans in the wild are a nightmare to draw.

Thanks
    Great work! Regarding post 112 I think the girl could use lighter values on her whole face (particularly the lit side of her face) to better separate it from blending with the background.

Thanks
    shoebill - yeah, I know right. It's like if you looked up a reference image but the damn thing was an gif that animated. And after a few minutes it would just get up and leave. How am I supposed to work in these conditions?!
    crankshaft - I'm a little dissapointed, 'the girl' come on now, can't you tell your appart your disney princesses. But yeah, looking at it now, there's a lot to fix, those eyes also look a bit shite really.

So here's todays contribution, naked people. Also HIPS

Thanks
    So yeah I followed along with some of the Proko vids on youtube today, and while I could have followed more closely and done a better job. The theme for day (for me at least) was drawing in pen to build confidence or whatever.

Thanks
    Okay, back to drawing toilet paper I guess, so with this one I tried to draw the texture in, but it didn't really blend all that well. So in the end I had to tone it waaaay done.
    Also more hips.

Thanks
    You know what, it's too late for this page now. I didn't want things to turn out like this, but I may as well commit to making this the toilet paper page.

So dumping (tehe) the latest now. And yes, thats a guy wrapped in it.

Thanks
    I could have done more for this update, but I didn't.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast