Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    So including yesterday I now have about 50 drawings of what is more or less the same pose viewed from the same angle, but I think at the end there I started getting way faster at doing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The n64 controller makes me happy You've captured it well. All of your digital renderings look pretty good!

Thanks
    Hey thanks shoebill, thanks. I noticed when I visited your thread you had drawn like 100 xbox controllers, which is just crazy because these things are kinda tough to get right. And I think the N64 controller is relatively easy by comparison.

So todays update I was focusing on something that probably doesnt show up as much on the more rendered images, but theres no use hiding it. Which is that I don't have very steady pen control, its all a bit wobbly. I'm working at it trying to fix it but it really shows in just flat line art and colour.

But this was a bit more fun than some previous updates so : ]

Edit: I know the girl on the right totally looks like shes grabbing onto her skirt with her hand, and that the thing is not reacting at all. But, that wasn't the intention, it's meant to be infront it just doesnt show very well.

Thanks
    This is all I had time for today, the line work is still a total hack job. But practice practice practice!

Thanks
    Nice toaster. I think it could use some stronger occlusion shadows and a darker cast shadow. Overall its pretty well rendered!

Thanks
    Yeah I was super happy with the toaster when I did it, but I feel as though it was a total fluke.
    Now for something with some not-so great rendering. But I wanted to try drawing people at angles.

Thanks
    Great update. Loving the chunky block in painterly feel. It could be just me, but I feel that the woman's body is disproportionate, as in her legs are rather small and stubby. Good work!

Thanks
    Yeah, no. You are totally right, instead of looking as though shes being viewed from above, she just looks like Humpty Dumpty.
    Woops

So the theme of today was really just angles and exaggeration.

Thanks
    More of the same as yesterday. Don't ask why the golf flag isnt it the golf hole, I only just noticed that when I posted it. Woops.

Thanks
    So more of this, it's really just about drawing people at angles and practising the tablet skillz. Also I tried speedpainting, I didn't time it unfortunately so I don't know how long these took. Yeah they're rough, but they were fast.... they also look a bit fart.

Thanks
    I cannot draw environments, I have to add that to the ever growing list.

Thanks
    More fun

Thanks
    No rendering today, just good old fashion pencil drawings.
    Last edited by AJams; January 19th, 2015 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    I'm losing so much information on this scans, I need to find another way to get them up. Because they truely look quite bad, I might try just taking a photo, it might be better than what my scanner can produce.

Thanks
    So for todays upload I thought I would do away with the pencil, and do everything with this brand new marker I bought. And well, the thing couldn't handle it and ran out at the end. So you'll see the drawings get much rougher as I'm doing the best I can with what I have left.

Alright so, first we have hands done from referece, then a bunch of drawings done from various how to draw books and references and then finally a page of stuff from imagination.

RIP pen 2015 - 2015

Thanks
    Wow, great display of work here! I'm definitely into your way of doing faces and characters. I think you have a nice way of approaching them, and I think your construction as it's been mentioned is very good. The gestures on your figures are nice, keep that up, and please show us more of your progress. I really like what you've been showing us here!

The digital colour is making its way, keep working on it! I don't really have much to add to that since I haven't delved in colour yet. I've only been drawing for a year and it's all been pencil. I personally thought it best to first dominate pencil and paper and all other traditional medium, but you know, everyone has their ways of doing things! You are doing well, keep that practice up!

Liking those hands, do focus on keeping them lively. Also, as per what you said about the scans, I think you could try messing around with the contrast in Photoshop or any other editing program you use, without affecting the original. I understand scans can be a pain, some of mine in my sketchbook also turned out way too "soft", and I had to fix that. I'm not sure about photos, but a bit of contrast may help, just make it subtle until the picture gets looking right. I'm not that of an expert though.

Thanks
    Hey Gali, thanks for addressing more or less all of my mad rantings in one post, haha. Personally, most of the time I post figure stuff I wonder if the subject matter is a bit too boring for people. As I kind of like to draw stuff that's a bit more 'everyday', so it's good to know that, that's okay.
    As for progress, how do you mean? because I think most of what I've posted is in a more preliminary stage anyway - but I don't mind doing whatever.

For the scanning, I used to shift the levels around a bit, but I found that it would be far too finicky for what I wanted. I would either dissolve my lines too much, or create these big nasty black splodges. I think it comes from the fact that I draw really quite lightly - so the lines aren't dark enough to really stand out on the scan.

ONTO TODAYS STUFF

-Okay so if anything about this looks familiar just look to the top of this page! - I've finally gotten around to returning to that project after being sidetracked by a whole slew of other endeavours. So these two pictures were just about trying to get the tone for the image that I wanted, I think the composition on them both is a little flat, but thats sort of the over all look I was going for. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could do to make it work better, that would be much appreciated.

ALSO MORE HANDS!

Thanks
    The last batch of hands look really good, there's the odd forshortening issue with fingers but that's nothing to feel bad about considering hands are the hardest thing to draw in the world ever. Other than that I can't give much critique.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJams View Post
    Hey Gali, thanks for addressing more or less all of my mad rantings in one post, haha. Personally, most of the time I post figure stuff I wonder if the subject matter is a bit too boring for people. As I kind of like to draw stuff that's a bit more 'everyday', so it's good to know that, that's okay.
    As for progress, how do you mean? because I think most of what I've posted is in a more preliminary stage anyway - but I don't mind doing whatever.

For the scanning, I used to shift the levels around a bit, but I found that it would be far too finicky for what I wanted. I would either dissolve my lines too much, or create these big nasty black splodges. I think it comes from the fact that I draw really quite lightly - so the lines aren't dark enough to really stand out on the scan.

ONTO TODAYS STUFF

-Okay so if anything about this looks familiar just look to the top of this page! - I've finally gotten around to returning to that project after being sidetracked by a whole slew of other endeavours. So these two pictures were just about trying to get the tone for the image that I wanted, I think the composition on them both is a little flat, but thats sort of the over all look I was going for. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could do to make it work better, that would be much appreciated.

ALSO MORE HANDS!
    No problem! I like art rants just as much as I do them myself haha (except I tend to overdo it because I easily overdo anything). I meant to say your progress as with the digital color pieces that you've been doing, in a way to tell you to keep on working so that you will better your skills each time more and more. The same thing with any other art piece. I guess daily work would be a better way of defining it, like you said, for being in a preliminary stage as progress comes with the accumulation of daily work (or also called practice). I apologize for the confusion. I just meant progress in the fact of you creating this sketchbook and uploading everything you did until now, considering all you've added to it.

Whatever you want to work on is quite alright, as long as it's what you want to do, though other people can always offer advice. Personally, I'm not bored by the figures, quite the contrary, I like seeing how you do them. And they make for good everyday practice, so it's quite okay!

I'll let someone else comment on the color tones of your project piece as I can't say a lot on that. I like that you did more hands, and I hope you get yours scans working for you somehow.
    Last edited by Gali; January 22nd, 2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Fixed some things.

Thanks
    Gali - Oh okay I think I get you, and uh - this is my daily work lol. While it would be smarter to post from a backlogue I wasn't that forward thinking, so everything posted was done on that day.

Yeah I know, but most of the time I feel as though I should be doing what others want instead. Bit silly, but that's me eh.

Shoebill - That's cool, and yeah I expected to have issues, it's why I used pen so I could make mistakes and learn to just deal with it and move on. It will pay off in the long run... I hope.

So I had next to not time at all to draw today, so theres a really lacklustre update. Really you could say the subject for today is 'framing' and working out what works best. So this is less a drawing update than it is a composition update, but that's important too!
    Last edited by AJams; January 24th, 2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: I forgot to include my picture, durrr

Thanks
    Great updates! Lots of work and progress here! I love that water tap! Looks well rendered! As for scanning the pencil images pretty good to me. You can also try multiplying them to make them darker and increase the contrast before uploading.

Thanks
    Thanks, I think the still life drawing has been quite helpful, the hardest part is actually finding something to draw that won't look flat or be a total nightmare to pull off. Oh! and yeah I've done the multiply thing in the past and it worked quite well, yet for some reason I forgot about it. So I'll definately try that out for the next time I have a pencil image to scan in.

So tonights update is yes - more of this. But don't worry it's probably the last I'll post on this (probably) for a while anyway. What I have learned today is that fireworks don't make for a good background because they over power the subject. So - NEW STUFF next, that should be fun.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I played around with different brushes, I think the end result was pretty cool.
    Last edited by AJams; February 2nd, 2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Modified the picture a bit, parts were annoying me

Thanks
    Not much for today, just some practice.
    Hope the scans look better.

Thanks
    Nice studies..your hands look really good but your arms not so much try proper construction on them so it is easier to measure the size before having to think about the form!

Thanks
    Hi Gibier, okay, I agree the arms I draw do kind of look like noodles. But, arms are hard, so yeah today I tried - don't know if I went in the right direction though.

There's also some weird stuff, you should probably ignore that.

Thanks
    Rereading your post, was the issue more with the length of the arms? Like to plan it out then commit? Well, heres more anyway.

So as an aside, I figure I need to start a blog or something to stick more finished work on it, instead of whatever it is I've been posting here.
    So I might not have any more updates for a couple of days, which is a shame because I've been enjoying maintaining this.
    Last edited by AJams; January 31st, 2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: I forgot to attach picture yet again

Thanks
    Great stuff! Those color pieces have good harmony and are well balanced. I think the white dress could use stronger shadows to convey more form, but that might be hard being a white dress. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about finished work. I think continuing to do studies are better because they're faster and you focus more on the fundamentals. Also they're easier to critique.

Thanks
    Crankshaft - Absolutely, I enjoy doing the kind of thing in the thread a whole lot more because I feel as there's no expectation that it has to be good. But, I think that if I want to be 'employable' which is the end goal of all of this I have to show stuff that's much more polished.
    Oh as for the white, you're probably right but I don't quite know how I would go about fixing that. Adding value to objects which are black or white is really tricky. Guess I should get on to learning that too, eh?

For the sake of posting here is some really quick and dirty stuff - ALL OF THESE are straight up copies of pictures featured in the book 'Life drawing' by Robert Barrett.
    It's funny, I really feel as though I need to emphasize when I'm using a resource for these sorts of things, but it probably doesn't really matter.

Thanks
    So nothing special today, just an update on more of this line work stuff - hoping repetition gets me better at this sort of thing. But to be honest this is probably the area that I'm improving the slowest in.

EDIT: A whole guy got cut off, I thought for once I would try posting a big image, did not work in my favour. Oh well.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast