Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Just some practise stuff. (So originally the guys were just drawn to look like naked ken dolls - naked with no privates. But it looked so silly them all just standing there in close proximity to one another all totally nude, so for sanity's sake i had to give them pants)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by AJams; December 3rd, 2014 at 10:52 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice figures. Where'd you get the Ken Dolls?

Thanks
    Hahaha my poor wording, I really should clarify. What I meant is that they had no junk, or nipples for that matter. So i make joke, I might edit my previous post to clarify.

So, like yeah at the moment I'm trying to focus on drawing different body types? I hope that shows through.
    Last edited by AJams; January 19th, 2015 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks
    Nothing beats the fun of drawing dinosaurs. I like that you've found some toys to study from too. I've been contemplating buying some dinosaur figures just for that purpose (and maybe to play with). I find your drawings generally pleasing to look at, especially the hands and feet.

Thanks
    Shoebill, you should totally do it, the ones I used are all well over 10 years old so the seams and issues with the moulding and such show through a bit. But I think you could absolutely get something that looked legit nowdays and would make a really helpful reference. And well, you can never have enough dinosaurs...

I should probably post what I've been working on too, although I would rather just discuss dinosaurs. So here's that!

Thanks
    Okay, last one of these kinds of dumps for a while, I think I should move on to something else for next post.

Thanks
    So it's been a long while since I've posted something digital in this thread, but I think that in that time I have improved.
    I'm still a little clueless, but that's the point of this thread, right?

So anyway, the uh guy commiting the obscene gestures was drawn as sort of a joke, but I kind of like it, his vacant expression doesn't really work. But that's really due to this being practise and not a finished thing. I might rework it a bit later, because it's pretty fun.

Thanks
    So what I tried to do today is sort of try a cartoon sort of style that was super simple, which is actually kind of tough. Needs work, obviously. As for the other drawing... he's a police officer that forgot his uniform - also a good reuse of the background I did yesterday.

Thanks
    So yeah the girl in this posts leg looks REALLY funky, other than that still figuring out drawing digitally. More almost nakedness, and some more of the cartoony stuff from the previous post.

Thanks
    I did not have enough time to draw any thing today, but I wanted to post an update of some sort so I squeezed these out. Landscapes - need work.

Thanks
    Some of these drawn from life, others from photos. My scanner isn't so good at these pencil drawings so it might be more beneficial to focus more on the digital stuff. I don't know if you guys can really see what's going on here or not?

Oh yeah theres also a dinosaur.
    Last edited by AJams; December 15th, 2014 at 06:09 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So today I had the idea for a pose I wanted to draw, but nothing that I drew really matched what I wanted.

Thanks
    It's been 2 days since an update, so I thought I would update.

Thanks
    Some stuff from today, a duck and a work in progress.

Thanks
    I havent really applied lighting much to anything I've done, so I did some studies of hands with some low level lighting to try and work it out.

Thanks

Thanks
    Applying what I've learnt.
    That's it for lighting, for now.

Thanks
    Okay so I wanted to do some more film stills like I had done on the first page, but then christmas arrived and I thought I would do something more fitting.
    So anyway for some reason that lead me to last years doctor who christmas special ? I don't know why but here's what we got. Didn't finish it off, but I learnt that Matt smith is hard bloke to draw. The point really was to get some practise.

.... ENJOY?!

Thanks
    More.

- I think I need to work on introducing more foreshortening and dynamic poses etc.

Thanks
    Great sketchbook! Judging from most of your paintings I find them to be rather high key, too bright or washed out. Maybe try more intense colors or stronger saturations?

Thanks
    Hey Crankshaft, I totally agree. Now the hard part is actually changing the way I do things to fix it eh.

I drew this reverse mermaid thing just to play around a bit with making more saturated colours. I don't know if I succeded or not, but the important thing is I drew a dumb fish face.
    But yeah I'll work on it and thanks for the input.

Thanks
    I don't know.

Thanks
    Judging by your updates it looks like you're still struggling with color and light. I recommend Color and Light by James Gurney. Another approach to understanding color and light better would be still lifes. Try doing something simple like a tea pot or cup. Examine the saturation of colors carefully in areas of light and in shadow. This would also improve your rendering which could also use improvement. All the best!

Thanks
    Hrmmm, okay so I tried doing some still life, and what I think would really help if I had the means to do a more interesting lighting set up. Currently it's just the room light and the light from the monitor which looks a little flat, but I don't really have the means to do anything better. (Don't ask why I chose to do a shoe, at this point I realise how dumb it was as the flat matte material doesn't exactly capture light very well) But yeah I definately agree with what you have to say.

So as for rendering, at the moment it's a bit lumpy, I'm not sure what the 'correct' way to paint in photoshop is. But I know there is a lot of room for improvement and hopefully dedicating enough time to it will pay off. But yeah thanks for coming in and helping again I'll see if I can check out that book.

Thanks
    2 updates in one day, CRAZY. Anyway so I figured I would just do away with colour altogether with this one and just practise on matching the tone as best I could. These things are really quite a pain to draw.

Thanks
    These are actually quite good! They do feel flat but that could be the lighting in the room. Try setting a lamp nearby to get sharper shadows and paint that. Also remember lit areas often have more visible texture and saturation than in shadow.

Thanks
    Hey thanks, it's good to hear I'm doing something right. Yeah I'm going to try something with a lamp, I dunno it's a logistics nightmare. Might end up just taking photos of the object and work off of those.

Anyway, this post just has the usual figure drawing stuff, but in digital this time because I thought i could do with the practise.

Thanks
    Was going to do more still life but ended up doing some film studies instead.

LIGHT IS REALLY CONFUSING YOU GUYS

Thanks
    Enjoy some stupidly beefy legs and my toaster, tried to get a decent light set up for the toaster but couldnt get anything DRAMATIC enough,

Thanks
    more stuff

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast