Thanked 1,714 Times in 661 Posts
    Follows
    Following

COW #325: Co-operative Symbiosis 'The Seeing Eye Dog' - WIPs Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  381.0 KB

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #324: Co-operative Symbiosis 'The Seeing Eye Dog'

Brief:
    Most animals in our world can fare just fine on their own or at least with members of their own species, however some take adaptation even further by interacting with other species, these particular interactions are beneficial to both parties. For this round we will focus on two such creatures that are involved in a mutualistic relationship. One creature, a large and very powerful creature strong and hardy, but completely blind. While the other being small and frail, that has excellent eyesight. The small critter provides its sight for the larger creature as a favour for the protection, food scraps, whatever the larger creature is able to provide. So there you have it two creatures to design, two weeks to design them! You know what to do!

Round Requirements:
    -your entry must consist of two different species
    -one creature is large and strong while the other is small and weak
    -the larger creature is completely blind while the smaller one, with excellent eyesight, lends its sight to the larger one for a favour of protection, food scraps, etc.
    -obviously the smaller critter will need some way to communicate with the larger creature

Deadline:
    Wednesday July 16, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...71#post3831671

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

.pc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some exploratory sketches.
    I'm thinking the "big guy" will be a mostly subterranean / cave-dwelling species, moving around by sound and touch, and the "dog" would be a scavenger type that picks up the leftovers.

Name:  325-Seeing-Eye-Dog_Sketches.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  104.9 KB

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is going to be my first challenge so appologies if I'm asking a stupid question.
    Can we include a human for size reference in the final image or is that a no-no?

Anyway a rough possibility for the big guy.Name:  challenge 324 b.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  1.21 MB

The idea is its got no eyes so it depends purely on its nose and of course its symbiotic partner. The nose was inspired by this vulture

Edit: also in the final image that we submit it has to be just single one of each creatures right? Or can there multiples?

Click for Sketchbook.
    Click for Deviantart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mehul Sahai: Yeah it is perfectly fine if you want to include a human for scale.
    I would prefer if you uploaded just one image, supplementary images aren't banned, meaning if you uploaded a second image I wouldn't disqualify you, but I would prefer if each artist had uploaded a single image per entry...

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll stick to a single image.

Click for Sketchbook.
    Click for Deviantart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some Ideas

Name:  COW_325.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  418.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought about a fungus type organism that creates eyes the more it is present in its host. It evolves into a symbiotic relation when the alpha predator use these eyes to explore their surroundings and to hunt. The eyesight gets better when there is more fungus concentrated in a point. Also, the blood of the preys and the host makes the fungus grow.Name:  Blind01.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  860.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Progress

Name:  COW_325_1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  399.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shadowpriest: There's two things I want to point out; the symbiote first of all needs to be a creature and not fungus (easily fixed by just stating it is a creature rather than a fungus), second watch the blob-like appearance of your symbiote. I'm taking the rules into account for both creatures for this round, so even though it is part of the larger beast it still needs to have some kind of base anatomical structure and not just being green goo with eyes. It is a very neat idea, with a little bit of playing around I'm sure you can make it work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Co-operative Symbiosis 'The Seeing Eye Dog' - WIP

Here's mine..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dammit scorge! I think... I think you've already got my vote. Take it down a notch for the rest of us will ya!
    Actually, ignore me and keep that up, that piece is fantastic.

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

17. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aw man, scorge's killing it as usual lol

quick comp before i hit the sack

Name:  cow325wip1.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  171.3 KB

instagram
    deviantart
    sketchbook <- help me improve!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .pc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff scourge. Love the inclusion of the bear trap thing.
    Any ways some more of my wips:

Click for Sketchbook.
    Click for Deviantart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going with a beauty and the beast vibe. Yes it's a mole rat snogging a butterfly, I'm sure there have been stranger posts...
    The weird tongue thing is meant to be the form of communication. Does it look like it's just trying to eat it?

Name:  eyesymb.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  122.8 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are some nice things getting posted. And scorge that is awesome, simply great.

Here is mine and underwater creature. The big guy mostly lurks in caves and underwater ravines waiting for something to come by. nuff said. the smaller guy is still being worked out I was thinking of a crustacean type of creature that communicates by growing electrode "veins" down the body of the big guy and then send signals that way and also uses bio-luminescence to help lure creatures to dinner.

Name:  SeaCreature.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  280.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did the blind creature first. Kind of a reptilian goblin like dude who carries a massive spear/axe and has a barrel on his back which contains stuff he and his creature finds. He mostly lives his dank and dark areas; so his kind have eyes that have became useless throughout years of living there which is why they are a milky color. I am going to create his eye dog create next and hopefully finish and show it later today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demon Lizardman: Might I suggest you have a gander at the rules for COW. Creature of the Week requires that creatures are not humanoid, and they should not have accessories, clothing, and weapons. Humanoids and accessories we try to restrict to Character of the Week, while here we are looking for creatures that are more animalistic in nature and appearance. May I also ask that you try to upload smaller image sizes, so it is easier for the rest of us to view the image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, my bad, tried again and started with the seeing eye dog creature first. This time I took inspiration from a shrew and a kangaroo mouse and came out with this little runt right here (Will do size comparisons when I finish the other creature). The long legs let this creature hop all around the creatures back alerting him of obstacles and other things that might get in it's way. Those hooks on his ears and feet also help him cling on to the creatures fur. It also makes a significant squeal that can only be heard by the creature which helps the two communicate.

Also, is this small enough for you?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mucho fun. Done.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that's amazing scorge.

Here's my humble attempt. The la\arge creature is some sort of extremely poisonous caterpillar beetle hybrid. The small creature is a type of jumping spider that happened to be immune to the big creature's poison. Over countless generations the two species have developed a tight bond. The spider weaves a web on some of the caterpillar's tentacles. The spider plucks the threats and through vibration tells the caterpillar which way to go to find food/mates and where to go to evade potential predators. The spider gets a very safe place to live in. The caterpillar can talk back to the spider via the same web by vibrating it's own tentacles. Since the spiders have such keen eye-sight they have evolved little flags on some of their legs so they can signal other spiders of the same species and communicate from far away.
    I have lots to render still. I'm considering some yellow rings on the tentacles so that it looks more poisonous.

Great job everyone.
    Name:  lazarillo1.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  130.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches. Feels a bit obvious, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just designed the blind creature, going to work on the illustration piece tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Symbcreatures WIP.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  324.3 KB

So this is the concept I am going with. But I am having a hard time with perspective that will accurately show both creatures. Also I am curious whether I should do two drawings, one showing both creatures but mostly the larger and the other showing the details and features of the smaller one? I will not be using a digital program hence why I am asking. Also with the primate-like creature is it clear that it tucks it's second set of arms under it's tuft of chest hair, and do the arms look like a natural part of the creatures anatomy or should I try to make that more clear? I was thinking the second pair of arms is how the primate transmits sensory memories to the host beast and as a means of social interaction with others of it's species.

Everybody's ideas look great already I can't wait to see the finals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About halfway complete. Still a bit dull at the moment, have to bring the colours out some.

Name:  eye copy.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  177.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first post in a while trying to commit. I'm leaning towards the bat one or the gorilla hybrid thing. The smaller animal is a bit tough though. Still working it out. I find an animal that performs cloth mimicry like a scarf, hat, or bib. Maybe a parasite would be good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    almost done--

the idea is that the flying bird lizard thing evolved a way to project its vision into the blind brute's mind, acting like some sort of camera.

Name:  cow325wip2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  287.5 KB

instagram
    deviantart
    sketchbook <- help me improve!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .pc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spotted this forum and I just had to enter this contest.
    I think the contest draws out you creativity and skill as an artist. Hopefully this also will happen to me so I could compete to these amazing art-pieces.

To kick it all off, here is my first entry:

The first organism, the gator-like creature normally lives near the water surface. Here it looked blindly for fish. Because of the overpopulation of the fish this was made possible, since it has a high chance of catching some by chance.
    But because off pollution, less fish where available, which caused the gator-creature to go deeper into the ocean. Here lived the second creature: the transparent blob-like creature. They slowly climb on rock trying to eat off dirt. Predators could be worn off by electric shocks for the small 'tentacles'.
    Due to evolution, they started to work together. The blob-creature, uses its eyes to look and transmits the signals via small electric shocks to the brain of the gator-creature. This way the gator can see an attack more efficiently. The blob-like creature now has the possibility to transport to nutrient-rich regions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lichinoid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 128