Sci Fi Anthro Style

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sci Fi Anthro Style

Style I'm trying to develop, science fiction anthropomorphic animals. I use Art Rage Studio for line work, then throw it in Gimp. I use a little 3D when I must.

Name:  Zachia.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  174.9 KB

Name:  Wild Card.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  199.0 KB

Name:  Xen.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  318.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bright acidic colors =/= good picture.

It's clear that you are aiming for the cute animated cartoon style, but you are making the typical mistake of trying to imitate the line drawing instead of thinking of structure, form and anatomy. There are multiple other problems here. Get Loomis, Norling and Blair, and practice structural drawing. In pencil, on paper, from life, start with boxes, eggs and teapots with a single light source.

"Creative Illustration" by Loomis

"Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" by Loomis

"Successful Drawing" by Loomis

"Perspective Made Easy" by Norling

"Cartoon Animation" by Blair

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow dude I don't want to draw your style, only certain styles allowed on this site, peace out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your reply shows just how much you misunderstand what style is in the first place. Think of it this way, style is the decor of your house. The paint, the curtains, and so forth. Now how far are you going to get without actual walls, floors, etc. to put that stuff on?

It's the same with style. Style goes on top of substance, and you show that you're resistant to learning that substance the same way pretty much every good artist does. Arenhaus has some very good advice there, especially Preston Blair's Cartoon Animation. I'd also suggest The Vilppu Drawing Manual by Glenn Vilppu, but any of those sources is a good start.

Unless you're not serious about getting better of course, then you can feel free to imitate the artists over at Fur Affinity. Your call.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snovv View Post
    wow dude I don't want to draw your style, only certain styles allowed on this site, peace out
    Was that sarcasm? It was kind of incoherent.

You shouldn't bother about style at all. Styles grow organically or are designed, but in either case you should have a skill in the actual drawing, you know. If you don't know how to draw or have gaps in your fundamental skills, it will show no matter what style you try to create.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not every style uses anatomy from human figures, this style is supposed to be exaggerated, it's not supposed to be based on realistic figures. I'm sure you know this but it seems I upset you and you are trying to troll me. I've seen your art, it's very good, but it's all blatantly ripped off LOL. You seem to miss the point of what art is. I'm done responding, you speak for the whole website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't be arrogant. Your making an argument from ignorance. All styles from professional artists even if they aren't realistic stem from the knowledge of realism. Otherwise you going to have no direction. Don't come on a site and asked to be critiqued and then spin it around when you are the one who doesn't know what your talking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's like 10 thousands styles of art. This site focuses on 2 or 3 styles art. That's OK, but what's sad is you can't admit to it, and you criticize anyone else with a different style. You're all not fooling anyone. I didn't expect praise, this is exactly what I expected. So have fun, getting your paycheck, drawing forms, bullshit artists lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You weren't critizised for "style", but for the lack of fundamentals in your work. Fundamentals are universal to all (representational) styles. That's why they're called fundamentals, you know.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is clear you are offended as you snapped instantly at the initial critique. I believe Arenhaus gave you sound advice. Know the fundementals and you will be a better artist, there is no arguing with that, it is fact. Look at the early work of Picasso before he started Cubism, that is why none doubted his style. I don't personally like Cubism but respect the man regardless.

You don't have to agree with a crit but you should try not to get offended and conduct yourself in a better manner, you will be both a better person and a better artist for it. Remember you don't have to agree with the crit, which is fair enough, but people are only trying to help and you should respect that.

I would like to give you a crit, but I know nothing about the style, however I still wish you success with your art.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,621 Times in 3,779 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your composition and colour sucks big time. You have been given excellent advice. If you think this site only has 2 styles, why the hell did you bother posting? Lurk moar, read tons of threads. Come back when you actually want to learn.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not every style uses anatomy from human figures, this style is supposed to be exaggerated, it's not supposed to be based on realistic figures. I'm sure you know this but it seems I upset you and you are trying to troll me. I've seen your art, it's very good, but it's all blatantly ripped off LOL. You seem to miss the point of what art is. I'm done responding, you speak for the whole website.
    I am trolling you?.. My work is "blatantly ripped off", whatever that means?.. I miss the point of art? My, this is rich.

Look, kid, you need to know actual anatomy before you try to bend it. This is true for any rules: you may bend them in any way you please provided that you know the rules in and out, first, or else your work will look amateurish. Hiding behind "this is my style" or "it's not supposed to look realistic" is the lamest excuse for not being able to draw well. The lamest excuse ever.

I won't even discuss your obvious ego problem.

Do what you want. Learn, don't learn, it's up to you. You are probably your own worst obstacle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why post in a section called "Art Critique Center" when it's clear you don't want critique, Snovv?
    Even if you disagree with the crit given the least you can do is not be an ass about it.
    Arenhaus was very polite with his critique, I don't know why you're getting so angry about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe he must have come from Fur Affinity.I have been on that site myself before. It is a blanket of self gratification and ego stroking. No constructive criticism is given, only praise, and that boost many egos of starting artist, or ones who just want to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusJuice View Post
    I believe he must have come from Fur Affinity.I have been on that site myself before. It is a blanket of self gratification and ego stroking. No constructive criticism is given, only praise, and that boost many egos of starting artist, or ones who just want to improve.
    Conceptart must have been quite a shock then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Correct me if I am wrong, but he/she is going through The Dunning-Kruger Effect. A misconception of where one can calculate how well they can perform under any situation, when reality is, you're bad at evaluating your ability.

"you're not fooling anyone". Who's the one really being fooled here? Looking for confirmation of self worth whiles refusing to acknowledge those which dispute your theory is called confirmation bias. In short; you're just lying to your self, sugar coating your ability with "style" and "supposed to". Snap out of it. I was like that once, but refusing to accept the truth won't get you anywhere.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaoningW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This site focuses on 2 or 3 styles art.
    Well, style is unique to each individual. Your style is your style, no matter how much it is influenced by the styles of others.

That being said, CA actually has 421,596 styles

Visit my sketchbook or my deviantArt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Said that snovv is totally missing the point of this place and the sense of critic itself... Well, all this stuff about fundamentals and draw for good art is an OLD (and true) definition. People like Schiele, Klimt has turned in awesome artist after all that knowledge and fundamentals (the Klimt first storic-realism is amazing!)but today professional art is about other. Is about marketing, and market, THE ARTIST himself, and art critic and SELL SELL SELL, and QUALITY is a word you cannot even say. This is the confusion that make people (smart and idiot together) to react when you advice em to DRAW for better art. All dependes about what you want to do with art. If you want to get a job as COncept Artist, yes you need to evolve a lot from that fake poor cartoon style. If you call that ART, and try to sell in kitsch art gallery, well you could start sell. if you are so proud of your results, and you are ready to defend it, go talking with gallerists. Maybe here we are all wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindLynx View Post
    Said that snovv is totally missing the point of this place and the sense of critic itself... Well, all this stuff about fundamentals and draw for good art is an OLD (and true) definition. People like Schiele, Klimt has turned in awesome artist after all that knowledge and fundamentals (the Klimt first storic-realism is amazing!)but today professional art is about other. Is about marketing, and market, THE ARTIST himself, and art critic and SELL SELL SELL, and QUALITY is a word you cannot even say. This is the confusion that make people (smart and idiot together) to react when you advice em to DRAW for better art. All dependes about what you want to do with art. If you want to get a job as COncept Artist, yes you need to evolve a lot from that fake poor cartoon style. If you call that ART, and try to sell in kitsch art gallery, well you could start sell. if you are so proud of your results, and you are ready to defend it, go talking with gallerists. Maybe here we are all wrong.
    This site is typically about learning to draw, not about marketing... and your post seems to imply that the only professional kind of art is what Thomas Kinkaid (tm) and Jeff Koons peddle and that concept art is somehow not art (or less than "ART"). Which is, kind of... incomplete, to use a polite word.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa... Thomas Kinkade and Jeff Koons arent name you can read together =D My post was critical and somehow irconical about art mechanics today. Here people want to learn to draw, but professional concept artist in here use this site as marketing too... Also I don't know concept artist that are paid as much as "pure" art painter. Illustration has always been considerated as a minor art, like engraving, near to applied art. Sometimes you can find concept artist who can carve out the power of a paint from theire works, but more often you can see just awesome tecnics. And that's because concept art serve other's goal, while paint serve just itself. But paint is in a critic status today, while illustration is so vivid and different and new, and this help the paint to come back to life in a near future, I hope. But like I said, I was just challanging Snovv, that if he is ready to fight for his ART he can try to talk with gallerists and face the results. I wish him the best luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusJuice View Post
    I can completely attest to this. I've noticed that in a lot of "furry" or "anthro" communities, the demographic tends to be primarily on the younger side with high emotions and strong bias. I will see badly drawn art with shallow content on line paper uploaded to the internet with a cell phone picture, and there will be crowds of people ready to circle jerk with the artist. This doesn't help anyone get better.

I'll admit when I came here, I didn't know what to expect. I definitely got a rude awakening with some tough critiques, and even though it depressed me for a bit, I am grateful for it. Being told you're great all the time doesn't help you, and end up getting sucked into a popularity contest with cliques in the school cafeteria. I don't need to sit at the "cool" table. I want to MAKE the cool table, but it's going to take a lot of work. For now, I try to imagine that if I were to apply for an industry level animation or illustration job, would they hire me, or laugh me out of the room? (this is still a hobby right now)

For the record, I consider myself a cartoonist, not a furry.

Members who have read this thread: 57