Landscape critique please!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Landscape critique please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Landscape critique please!

I am still not happy with the way this turned out and any pointers would be much appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well that's quite a solid piece to me, but I'll give it a try anyway.

I think that behind the buildings, the depth, mountains and clouds become sort of confusing. They don't read very well at look more like a large pile of sharp details. At least at first glance.

Also, alot of the myst and clouds going between the rocks and mountains look a bit artifical, and almost feel forced there. Maybe make them a bit more affected by light.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stephou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The myst was done with a cloud like brush, i went really lazy there . I have no idea what i am doing when mixing cloud like forms with mountainous terrain XD I'll work on that next time. Thanks though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Let me just take a moment and...wow! Now that is an inspirational painting! My friend you should check my landscape painting out in another thread and give ME some pointers! Haha.

As far as critique goes I have the following to say:

Pro- It looks indeed like the word professional! Great establishment of Foreground-Middle-ground and Background. I can read the depth of the piece very well.

One thing I would suggest is to separate those values in the sky, in the background, from the mountains. The atmosphere is blending into the distant mountains and I am unsure if that would happen in real life. Not only this, but that blending is confusing to the viewer; for I had to take a minute to figure out where the distant mountains stopped and where the sky began.

One last positive note though: amazing composition; I instantly hop to that strong rock silhouette in the foreground and then I bounce to the castle looking building on the left in the middle-ground, and then to the area of confusion due to its high contrast. Name:  Land Of Myst Low resCrit.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  580.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen quite alot of artists use cloud brushes around mountains, but sometimes I wonder if they aren't just copying other artists that do it and so on. So maybe no one even knows what they're doing in the first place

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the above! It's a very strong piece! If there is anything I can add I would say that the mist is in great spots, just add some mass to it, and it will look real. I think with your ability just pull up a photo ref and spend about 5 minutes and it will be fixed! As far as the background mountains blending with the sky that my buddy Playalot mentioned, I like it. I think that it adds a layer of depth, is realistic, and is well done both compositionally and with value.

The only things I will add are to remember that as an object gets higher its value will decrease because it is traveling further from the eye/camera. Keeping this in mind will help your hills and mountains seem more grand in size than they really are. Another thing is that I think I would enjoy the river itself being a bigger part of the read. For my eye it is the fourth or fifth thing I'm drawn to, and I would like emphasis on it over the rock that Playalot has labeled "F". But that's preference, and if decide to pull attention to it, there are so many ways to accomplish it!

It's not much, and honestly it's nitpicking. I really like the piece and it's very fundamentally sound!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey great words of wisdom! I hope this guy will look at my landscape too! Haha give me some pointers; I am trying to master those fundamentals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Thanks allot guys! It's really humbling saying you think my work looks really good considering I am still learning all this stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with others, a good piece of work. The only thing I would change in this picture is the readability of the background. You should slow down on details for the farthest mountains. It will help IMO. Another thing that I've notice on other painters landscape paintings is that when the weather get misty, the base of mountains or every other high elements get softer and paler than the highest part. Again this "trick" could help the readability.
    I've made a very quick paint-over to show you what I mean:
    Name:  Land Of Myst Low res.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  508.1 KB

PS: is there a link where I could see your paintings? I'd really like to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StefRob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks allot! You can check out my deviant art page http://maxiimust.deviantart.com/gallery/ but I really have so little work to display, most of my other stuff looks really bad (because It was when i was super noob) or unfinished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to get so good that I paint something like that, look at it, and be unhappy with it lol.
    Seriously lol.

SKETCHBOOK
    I've been drawing for: half a year!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that the furthest detail should be lost. That will add to the depth of the painting! I do think you did a great job, though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicja View Post
    I want to get so good that I paint something like that, look at it, and be unhappy with it lol.
    Seriously lol.
    10,000 hours of practice. That's all being good takes. Keep working at it, and you'll get there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes! As a guitarist and illustrator I can tell you this is true! Rock on! \m/0.0\m/

Members who have read this thread: 48