Thanks

JPZY - Color and Light 1.1

I decided to go with a medium key. My light source was a mood lit wall light at my 1 'clock about a two feet above me. Also when I say left and right I'm referring to your left and right.
    Mass light - The right side is where the light resides yet in the shirt it was a challenge trying to display that with all the folds.
    Transition/Halftone - The light wasn't really intense so the transition is the majority of the light shown.
    Highlights - The planes that were directly facing the light were sparse; nose, eyes, and brow line.
    Mass Shadow - The left side of my body is of course where the shadow lies yet with the reflected light
    Fill Light/Reflect Light - I found that the light source was bouncing off the wall to my left and also the wall behind me. You can see it with the light on the left side of my face and also on my back.
    Core Shadow - With a not so intense light the core shadow didn't really get that dark but it did have some places; the side of my nose and the many folds in my shirt. My favorite one though is the line of shadow that runs down the left side of my face.
    Cast Shadow - My nose, chin, and head had all given their part in casting a shadow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JPZY; June 25th, 2014 at 09:31 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    You actually chose a challenging light pattern for your first piece and did a great job of not overdoing your shadow pattern..keeping your shadows simple. Your shirt on the other hand looks like it could be more carefully observed. try working on it while you lock your eyes onto your facial features..i.e. painting the shirt from peripheral vision. This will help you simplify it down to just the necessary simple shapes.

Keep up the good work.

jm