Basics help - tilted plane

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Basics help - tilted plane

Hi,

I'm learning how to draw using scott robertson's book but I'm a bit stuck on a chapter, copying tilted planes.
    The copy techniques are clear BUT they never show how to draw the tilted plane to start with.

I tried outlining the examples to find my vanishing points but to no success.
    Anyone here who can walk me through this?

It's a noob question I know but I want to get it right from the start.
    You can take a look at my tries, it never feels right or correct.
    Pictures from the book are included as well just to make it clear.

Thanks!!!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look closely at the first images. The coloured rectangles going from the corners of the tilted&rotated plane towards the mirror plane show you exactly where the tilted plane is located in space. With that info alone you should be able to redraw such a plane, regardless of where exactly you place your VPs.
    If you're having problems understanding how the points are located in space and how to read that from those lins, I suggest you retrace some of your steps and jump back a chapter or so to get the basics straight. How to Draw is designed to be worked through chronologically, you need to have understood everything in one chapter before moving on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and thanks for the quick answer!

The previous chapters all show how to draw regular planes in space using vantage points and suddenly the plane is tilted without further information. I'm having problems drawing the first black plane which will be copied further on.
    The copying itself is not a problem but I need the "black" plane before I can start.
    If all lines are parallel the drawing just doesn't fit.

So as I understand it I should focus on the mirror lines? Where the plane 'hangs' on the wall?
    After all this obsessing I can't see the forest through the trees actually :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the problem is that you don't understand what tilted& rotated means. I've redrawn the image in how to draw and put in a top view of the plane. Maybe this will make it clearer. All the corners of the plane have unique positions in space, there are no parallel lines (except in the mirror plane, which is of course parallel):

All the points have in common is the height coordinate (the two lower corners have the height 0, the upper corners have the height X). The other coordinates (lenght and depth) are different for every point. That's why the plane is tilted& rotated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll have another go at it knowing (seeing) it!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always found that the mjirror technique Robertson proposes in that chapter for tilted&rotated planes is overly complex btw., you can just use the rectangle multiplication technique to mirror all points separatedly and "connect the dots":

You end up having to draw more lines, but you don't have to deal with the additional complexity of the other mirroring technique.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As it happens, I have the same problem and the solutions presented here do not clear it up unfortunately. The issue at hand is that the book never shows how to tilt a plane and place it relative to another in perspective in the first place. I am struggling as well setting it up. I don't know which lines actually converge and which are parallel (see page 36,top right image).

The mirroring part is a piece of cake, but before that, I need to have the tilted plane and the mirror plane to begin with.

Can someone please elaborate on how to do this?

Last edited by drawyks; July 31st, 2014 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As it happens, I have the same problem and the solutions presented here do not clear it up unfortunately. The issue at hand is that the book never shows how to tilt a plane and place it relative to another in perspective in the first place. I am struggling as well setting it up. I don't know which lines actually converge and which are parallel (see page 36,top right image).

The mirroring part is a piece of cake, but before that, I need to have the tilted plane and the mirror plane to begin with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by drawyks View Post
    There is nothing more to elaborate on unfortunately. Look at my posts, I've broken it down as minutely as possible. My first post shows you a top-view of a tilted&rotated plane with the location of all the corners clearly shown. There is nothing more to show or explain about this. If you don't understand the illustration, you'll need to go backwards in "How to Draw" and get your basic understanding of 3D space up to speed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've built a tilted& rotated plane in sketchup. Maybe sseing this in 3D will help you to understand. I've included lines towards one axis so you see clearly how the points are located in 3D space:

http://poli.oppono.de/tilted&rotated.skp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some linear perspective vids that might help you out w/r/t inclined planes and rotated planes.

What I do with planes that tilt, is establish the form within a rectangle on the top and bottom, then connect them. If it's a ramp or something, you just add a horizon line and keep the vanishing points on the same verticals. If you're rotating, you just move the VP's over on the horizon line, keeping them the same distance apart.

Watch through the stuff in this playlist and see if that helps. Hit me up if you have more questions.

Cheers.

Mead

My Work
    My YT Chan with a ton of free art lessons
    Learning to draw is learning to think in 3D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so (using the color of the dots for terminology)
    the orange/brown TO purple line (top)
    green TO lila (bottom)
    move towards a shared vantage point I assume.

The lines towards the "wall" indicate how far that point is located from the wall (durr)
    BUT
    The descending lines
    orange TO green
    purple TO lila
    are angled. How in all the known gods to the universe's name do you determine the angle in which they descend?

It's truly one of the most frustrating thought-prisons that I have ever gotten myself into.
    Turn it into a cube and I draw it before I can think about how to.
    Tilt and/or different offsets and I crash.

Everything is like: "vp here, vp there, connect, smile, party, etc..."
    then suddenly: "draw a tilted plane."
    :')

(it must feel like teaching mandarin chinese to ducks for the contributors, so thanks )

Often I draw a perfect tilted plane but it's not constructed, just drawn. Which does not quite work for a book like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spijker View Post
    Ok so (using the color of the dots for terminology)
    the orange/brown TO purple line (top)
    green TO lila (bottom)
    move towards a shared vantage point I assume.
    Yes.

The lines towards the "wall" indicate how far that point is located from the wall (durr)
    Yes.

BUT
    The descending lines
    orange TO green
    purple TO lila
    are angled. How in all the known gods to the universe's name do you determine the angle in which they descend?
    You don't, you just draw the points that are the corners of the plane and connect them. Ta-da.

You're over-thinking this.

Members who have read this thread: 55