First Post on Concept Art

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First Post on Concept Art

Hi my name is Rickey. This is a painting I've been working on. I drew the pose from imagination, but I used the design for the character Sakura Kasugano from Street Fighter, since I thought it would be easier to ground my ideas with some sort of character.

There's still some refining that I know I need to do, but the main things I would like some advice on are the flow of the skirt for this pose and possible ideas for the background. I'm trying to show her in the middle of a jumping kick, twisting in the air, while going from the right of the page to the left.

Also I'm not too sure about the forshortening on the front leg. I figured it would be a good way to emphasize the anticipation of the kick, but I've always had trouble drawing dynamic poses.Name:  kasugano_kick.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  140.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have trouble drawing dynamic poses - like me - then you have to use references. Maybe look at pictures of people doing karate etc and copy their pose to some extent. There is allot wrong with your image and i would highly recommend checking out Andrew Loomis Figure drawing for all its worth and similar books to understand how to draw people better before you try to do a big character piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly Welcome to CA.

I think the piece lacks contrast and I would suggest pushing your value range a bit more. Everything is in mid-tones, from the background to the character, and that really flattens the image.

When i say push your value range more, I basically mean, make your brights brighter and your dark's darker. As for the background, i would suggest pushing it way back, by lightening it up, popping the character of the page and giving it more weight.

Art is never finished, only abandoned. -Leonardo da Vinci

The worst evil which can befall the artist is that his work should appear good in his own eyes. -Leonardo da Vinci

It is ill to praise, and worse to blame, the thing which you do not understand. -Leonardo da Vinci

Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the presence of fear, yet the will to go on. -Martin Lawrence

Revenge is not a valid motive, it is an emotional response, no, not vengeance, Punishment! -The Punisher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arenhaus and Eez always tell me this; get a book on Andrew Loomis and work on your structure and proportion; also gesture.

I think you might need Loomis' help as well on anatomy and structure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WenDu View Post
    Arenhaus and Eez always tell me this; get a book on Andrew Loomis and work on your structure and proportion; also gesture.

I think you might need Loomis' help as well on anatomy and structure.
    Heh. Indeed.

"Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" and "Successful Drawing" by Loomis are definitely a necessity here. Perhaps also "Drawing the Living Figure" by Sheppard, "Cartoon Animation" by Blair and "Perspective Made Easy" by Norling.

Work in pencil. On paper. From life. Photoshop will not really help you at this stage, nor will imitating techniques you do not quite have a ground for. Focus on structural drawing, perspective and anatomy for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you gentleman for looking at my work. Lol! I can't believe I didn't notice how bad my proportions were. And @ JLamps, thanks for the warm welcome and you are definitely right everything is in the midtone range. I'll make sure I start focusing more on figuring drawing before I head into a full on character illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ya OG, just want to say nothing with diving head in, otherwise you won't know what you're capable of or where you are at. Always good to do a full illustration here and there to see improvements you've made

Members who have read this thread: 11