Thanks

Jimid - Composition 1.1

Some of my compositions 1.1 below from some of my favourite old masters
    roughly an hour each
    Name:  moran compostion study.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  298.9 KB
    I noticed the way value is used to draw focus to central mountain in this painting by Thomas moran
    Name:  rembrandt value study.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  91.7 KB
    I notice the coat of the old man is left simple to add to contrast to complex face marks the man balancing the picture
    Name:  van dyck value compositon study.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  159.5 KB
    I noticed the values draw attention to the face and folds of clothes create movement around the picture
    Name:  compostion 1.1 sargent value comp study.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  211.7 KB
    I noticed in this painting by john singer sargent the use of values to give solid feel and presence of the characters against the wobblely buildings and the light values of the women's skirt to bring extra attention to her and the forward movement of her dress to show movement of her gesture and walk
    Name:  after the bath study.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  217.5 KB
    I choose this painting after the bath because the abstract looking shapes of item in the picture fitting nicely in small area
    and creating movement around the picture the bright values on the female figure not only draw the attention but show skin texture well
    Name:  william B value study 50mins.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  396.6 KB
    I notice the area behind the head is simple in texture and appearance contrasting with the lower half of the picture and allowing the attention to focus on the face
    Name:  alberst berstied compostion values study.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  157.9 KB
    I noticed a lot of shape repetition and variation of similar shapes using size and scale to suggest depth and great movement
    in this picture by alberst Bierstadt.
    Last edited by jimid; June 20th, 2014 at 07:27 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    These are an excellent start. Very nice value control and texture work happening. Your face on the bouguereau is showing a need for more careful observation but I think that would just be more time. You are clearly talented. Try focusing on capturing the same emotional presence...as that can help get likeness a lot. In fact, it is probably the biggest secret to likeness...as much as measuring and when it comes down to it it is the most important part when doing portrait work.

keep it up and keep focused on being more and more accurate with shape, value and edge.

jm

Thanks
    Thanks Jason I'll try to work on the things you mention above cheers!,
    Another seven done tried to slow down and be bit more careful with these ones

I Notice a diagonal movement through this piece and use of value to focus on girl by the focus of light on her
    Name:  comp study 1.1 433.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  269.2 KB

I figure this as more of circular movement through it ,I notice the repetition of the bushes/trees that decrease in size moving back in the picture give nice sense of scale and lead you into the picture
    Name:  albert bierstadt storm in the mountains comp study 1.1.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  93.5 KB

I notice the simplified background and clothes to balance the rugged textured face and a similar shape of the jaw line and the right collar of the jacket
    Name:  leffel-selfmil.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  69.6 KB

again a strong value difference focus the attention on the girl to her surrounds and diagonal movement down through the painting and various shapes and marking repeating on the column behind her
    Name:  Frazetta Egyptian Queen comp study 1.1.jpg
Views: 2773
Size:  173.7 KB

I like the use of values to depict a time of day and light ,the picture as contrast of values and space
    Name:  sargent comp study 1.1 .jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  99.1 KB

the bold dark values in this picture add a intense feel to painting contrasted by the smalls amounts of bright values suggesting there is much more hidden beneath the surface put we only see a small portion of it , also the central composition gives a powerful and strong presence to figure
    Name:  fhahfd.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  99.7 KB

I notice a diagonal movement and nice use of values to give depth to painting ,the trees add repetition of design and variation in the directions
    Name:  albert berstiad Bridal Veil Falls - compostion study 1.1 jimid.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  196.7 KB

Thanks

last six comp 1.1 - Jimid

Last six of the twenty , trying be more careful with mapping out position of shapes etc, about hour and half roughly for each one .

Love the character of this painting ,I notice repetition with the shapes along the hat and feathers the cast shadow of the hat adds to the character I feel
    Name:  rembrandt study comp 1.1 4.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  176.9 KB

I notice the light shining on the people at the bottom of the bright brings the attention the people there ,also the difference rocks is an example of variation of similar theme
    Name:  comp 1.1 study 8hh.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  118.3 KB

love the light and atmosphere of this painting and the breaks of light coming through the window and doors
    I notice example of subtle use of values to add mood to simple composition/ arrangement .
    Name:  sargent comp 1.1. study  0055.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  128.2 KB

One of my favourite paintings ,I notice the values adds the theme of the darkness the white figure is approaching ,also noticed the example of variation in the different shaped rocks and trees
    Name:  isle of death study comp 1.1 00522.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  94.9 KB

I like the rhythm of the sheet moving towards the female figure and the legs with similar shape also
    Name:  Johann Baptist Reiter study .jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  129.6 KB

I like this painting for the figure curled position suggesting introvert mood and the many folds in the dress add variation and rhythm and movement
    Name:  comp 1.1 0056 study.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  154.3 KB

Thanks
    Nice work Jimid. My suggestion would be to watch your edges. Some of your edges seem too soft or sketchy

Thanks
    agreed.

also, if you can get about 5 percent more accurate on your shapes you are going to have most of your drawing challenges solved. You are doing a great job with values and are almost there on shapes. Please focus on as much shape accuracy as you can. Whether it is the window being a little high in the Sargent, or the trees blowing a bit harder in your landscape piece, those little things can make all the difference. Watch for them!

Thanks
    agreed.

also, if you can get about 5 percent more accurate on your shapes you are going to have most of your drawing challenges solved. You are doing a great job with values and are almost there on shapes. Please focus on as much shape accuracy as you can. Whether it is the window being a little high in the Sargent, or the trees blowing a bit harder in your landscape piece, those little things can make all the difference. Watch for them!

Thanks
    Thanks Rassy for feedback I'll keep an eye out for that in future ,I tried to sharp some of them up but I guess I need be better more accurate still

Thanks Jason for feedback too , being accurate with positions/shapes etc is a weakness of mine but these exercise's are certainly helping I'll bear it mind for future studies etcs cheers!.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jimid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    awesome. looking forward to the next update.