You're a good drawer

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

You're a good drawer

I hate it when people say I'm a good drawer. Is it just me? Now if they said I draw well thats great. I just find it annoying I guess.

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think it can sound like an insult if people say that somebody is talented.
    When what they see might actually be the result of very hard work.
    But "good drawer" is a great compliment IMO.

I guess I'm not competent because this is about subtle language issues though.

Thanks
    Calling someone who draws a "drawer" is not incorrect, but I agree that it is a rather awkward-sounding word.

emily

Thanks
    I know I'm wierd =[

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    im a good cabinet

Thanks
    wow it bugs you when you get complimented, that's like level seven in the emo meter!

Thanks
    Be happy, you're a good drawer.

Thanks
    yeah...i find it extremely annoying...that i just want to stab them with my pencil i was just drawing with...think about it...the infectious pencil graphite seeping into the puncture wound...making it black and start to have green resin appear around the surface. just kidding...i do find it very annoying...
    they should just say artist instead of drawer...cause saying "your a good drawer" makes them sound very retarded. "drawer"... it's like calling us cabinets or some kind of storage furniture. exactly..storage furniture...
    how insulting. ordinary people walk by and say "wow...that's really good" it's like they've never seen a artist do some artwork before. sure there are tons of other great artist out there like me, who dress like me, walk, talk, and act like me. huh...did i just do some eminem shit? hilarious. well you guys know what i mean...i have become anti-social with people in the meat space...rather than in cyber space. because of how annoying people are in the meatspace. alling me a good "drawer"...even the hot chicks at school call me that...even though they don't mean to be insulting.

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    It's not that I don't like getting complimented it's more like what muffin man said. I hate emo by the way.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I dont see what's the big deal with being called a "good drawer"
    its like a basketball player being called a b-baller. thats cool with them

even in Joe Mad's intro to Battle Chasers,

"When I was young, my friends and I use to get together to create own very own comic books. Since I was the best drawer (I love that term!), I made the art."

Joe Mad loves it!

Thanks
    seems that some people can turn anything that is remotely positive in some sort of way and make it come out as an insult. Give me a fuckin break.

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    I'm not so sure it's the compliment that is annoying but rather the way the phrase sounds when being said.

It annoys me too. I think it's correct grammar but even saying it myself annoys me.

A Morning Person
    Somewhat Daily Sketchbook

Thanks
    why be offended by a compliment? I'ts just to say "thank you" and continue drawing

My work as a tattooer www.gallontattoos.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Be glad they dont say something like:-

complimentary person: "your works great, it turns me on, im gonna cum, btw your house looks nice"
    artist/drawerererer: "Thanks, do you mind not getting that over my work"
    complimentary person: "oh, sorry!"
    artist/drawerererer: "i've just painted my house, looks nice. btw do you know how to obtain restraining orders?"

This is fictional. Yet these fictional people are still bad at speaking.

Just accept the akward compliment, or as mentioned by other people random assault seems to be a good deterrent, although could lead to retribution/feud.

P.S. This sotry was not based on any real characters/people. Any name/meeting were coincidences and non-intentional.
    Also no Chinchilla's were harmed in the making of this short story.

Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    Gonzo, you're such a good drawer.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    just be happy that you're good at holding somebody's clothes.

Thanks
    Life is too short to get upset at trivialities such as this. Isn't there a better cause you can expend your energy on? How about world hunger? (Sheesh.)

I'd be annoyed at the poor grammar, but getting a compliment on your drawing skills shouldn't be pissing you off. They could always be saying you are a crappy drawer, instead.

If you're on a crusade, how about trying to get people to say: "You are good at drawing," instead??? Or perhaps they should say: You are a good draughtsman. (Although that may be a bit too esoteric a term these days. Sadly...)

Thanks
    Perhaps the only acceptable critique would be that of a linguistics genious? Someone with vocabulary to match the depth of your artistic merit? Being told you are a good drawer is better than being told that your drawing sucks... no matter what terminology is used to get that point across.

-SJ

I didn't do it.

Thanks

Cool

No no no...you guys got it allll wrong!

The Best.. ..most annoying thing to hear is...

"Do you like to draw???" then you can add on... "You're a good drawler" heh.

-Joshua

Thanks
    Do you like to draw Jetpack42?!

You're a good drawler!

A Morning Person
    Somewhat Daily Sketchbook

Thanks
    You think someone telling you that you are a good drawer is annoying?....that is nothing compared to how annoying it was what people would tell me!....I think the location had to do a lot with it, and I actually got so used to hearing it, that I would just disregard it as something very ignorant to say.
    I used to work airbrushing T-shirts in South Central L.A. and some people would ask me how many years I was in prison to get as good as I was at drawing....they wouldn't ask if I had spent any time in jail....they would ask how long I was in there....now that was annoying, especially becasuse I never did go to jail. And no one ever asked me if I went to school to learn how to draw

Thanks
    Now THAT is funny. I am sure you wanted to poke at least a few eyes out whenever you were asked questions like that. It must have been a location thing...

-SJ

I didn't do it.

Thanks
    Laypersons are often ignorant of even the most basic terminology of a field. Yet a compliment from a layperson (I mean, from one who really cares and is stirred by your work) is perhaps the most satisfying compliment an artist can get: We should envy the eye of the layperson, because it is not obscured by technical aspects or disciplinary custom, & can percieve the Beauty of a work of art directly. An artist who has spent years studying the mechanics of his craft knows the science behind the magic; yet the layperson is struck with awe before something mysterious & impenetrable.

An artist should evaluate his own work not just with an expert's eye, but also with the eye of a layperson.

Last edited by NoHack; August 10th, 2004 at 10:54 AM.
    Only the Artist can interpret the meaning of life
    -GFC von Hardenburg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHack
    An artist should evaluate his own work not just with an expert's eye, but also with the eye of a layperson.
    Well put, NoHack. I couldn't agree more. And people should observe their own bad grammar before being annoyed by that of others. If someone is complimenting you, take it for what it is, not specifically how it's delivered. If "You're a good drawer" annoys you, perhaps you could try hearing it in your own vernacular... something like "Wow... you're very talented". After all... that is what they mean.

You know what I find annoying? Aloof artists who feel their talent makes them better than the layperson.

Thanks
    You know what I find annoying? Aloof artists who feel their talent makes them better than the layperson.
    Do you really run into that many arrogant artists? I've run into quite a few very talented artists ( and good drawers!), and I don't think I've met more than a couple who were... not arrogant, actually, but maybe not as friendly as others (one teacher told a student flat out that he wouldn't explain his technique on a painting--which I thought was ridiculous. If all he relied on was his technique, he's in trouble!!!). Everyone else seems friendly and helpful enough to me. But maybe they just come off as being aloof?

Anyway--I can think of a lot worse things a person can be than "aloof"...!

Thanks
    Me arrogant I wish. I just don't like the way you're good drawer sounds. lol and I thought this thread would die off after two posts. I am enjoying seeing other peoples views on this though!

Last edited by Xpose; August 10th, 2004 at 11:40 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    No one has ever said that I'm a good drawer

Thanks
    You're a good drawer.

-SJ

I didn't do it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by April
    Do you really run into that many arrogant artists?
    That comment was meant to be taken facetiously, April. No, luckily... most of the artists I run into are good people. It's when you put them in a forum where they're afforded some anonymity that arrogance sometimes comes out.

Thanks
    It sort of bugs me, but I have methods of taking care of it. Complete ignorance (to the point where they don't know I'm doing it on purpose), or a quick "thanks" and keep drawing. Its important to have etiquette when people interrupt you in conversation, the same way it is if people interrupt you mid-sketch. If they are rude, ignore, if you like their effort at striking conversation give them something to work on. When I'm drawing I'm getting into like "the zone". Interruptions other than music are not always appreciated. I'm okay with people saying it (which very rarely occurs =P) just not expecting much of a reaction. I'm sure they wouldn't like to be interrupted in the middle of something they like to do...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.