Thanks

Ethnax - Color & Light 1.1

Name:  SelfPortrait1.jpg
Views: 12385
Size:  201.5 KB

3 ~ 3.5 hours
    I chose to keep this fairly low key, because I had quite a bright light source. I used my window as my primary light source, which was quite challenging as the brightness kept changing. I think next time I'll avoid using daylight. One thing I noticed is that the shadows got softer as the got further away from the light source. There's something that's bothering me about the lighting on the left side of the face, I'll try to figure that out tomorrow when I have the same light.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 897 Posts
    very nice! dont see anything wrong in the face. that shoulder/ neck coming through the hair is a bit weird though. it doesn't add up placement-wise and pulls a lot of attention bc it's the only flat surface in the piece.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    This is beautiful. The presence is also strong. My only comment is tiny in that a few strands of highlights on the hair would add a spark I think, not unlike the highlight in the eyes. Just a bit of texture and visual spark...

Aside from that, this one is aced. You did awesome work on your edges too. I am very happy to see this. Your hard work is paying off. This one is worth putting in your portfolio.

JM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looking one more time I might suggest you take another look at the nose...both in structure and in edge. It seems like it is the least observed of the features on the face but given the lighting and setup that should be very cared for.

JM

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks ashess. Now that you mention it, that area does look very off.

Thanks a lot Jason. I did struggle quite a bit with the nose, so I think I ended up over simplifying it a bit.

I've made a few adjustments, and the likeness is much closer, but I'm not sure if I've got the nose right yet.

Name:  SelfPortrait2.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  120.5 KB

Thanks
    Wow you are very beautiful, like some dark queen from a gothic romance. Seriously, this is stunning work. Don't know what one I prefer, the softness of the first, or the movement and life in the second one. Really sweet mark making, well done.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great work !! keep on .. just as a one idea , you can make some cast shadow for Necklace.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deepskysurfer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ok...so the challenge to face with the nose is that your values are not all corresponding to planes. Determine two things. 1. Where is the light source coming from? 2. What direction does the plane face that I am looking at or describing with my brush? If the plane faces the light source it will have the most light...if that plane turns down, to the side, or away, it will change in value. Right now you have a light light next to a core shadow for example. Just think through it a little bit more. This is too close to not get the nose structure just right. Keep up the great work.

jm

Thanks
    Gorgeous work! I love the confidence in the brushwork, and the way you've balanced the hard and soft edges. I can't think of any crits. I'll look forward to seeing more of your work in the rest of levelup!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post: