Kayan

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Kayan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kayan

Hi all,

Here's the latest painting I've been working on. It's already gone through 1 round of critiques (family/friends/tutors) and been improved from there. I did lose the cartoony feel it had originally in favour of more realism but it does look much better than it did. Now I'm appealing to the elite to see if I can bring this even further. Your thoughts as always are greatly appreciated

Name:  Kayan_WIP.png
Views: 149
Size:  713.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some major anatomical issues here, both with structure as well as with proportions.
    Since we're on the same eye level as the head, the face should be broken down in thirds; chin to bottom of nose, bottom of nose to brow line, brow line to hair line. That's the first frame in the animation below. Also, the ear needs to be moved up accordingly. The eye sits much deeper within the structure of the face. The second frame in the animation deals with structure. Eyes seen from the side simply do not look like you've painted it (you seem to have used the symbol for an eye seen from the front and slightly altered it), imagine a ball with the lids wrapping around it.
    Overall, you need to get acquainted with a method for constrcuting the face (look up Loomis and/or the Reilly method) and do some studies to learn about the threedimensional qualities of the face since you're largely guessing at the form. Make use of reference as well when you attempt to paint the human face.

Kayan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

Thanks so much for your help it's really appreciated. I can see there are issues now with the proportions but that has really come from tweaking my first attempt at it. I'm really disappointed I've done this because I've spent the last couple weeks solid on construction studying Vilppu's method of drawing the skull outwards and then I obliterated it all with liquify when I was 'fixing' things. Also another reason is that as I mentioned the sketch was a lot cartoonier and I see that I've adjust some proportions and not others.

Extra grateful for your placement of the eye because I do feel I was guessing with it, even looking at reference. I also did attempt to have the eyelid wrap round the eye but didn't go about it properly.

Thanks for your advice here man it's back to work for me now. So disappointed I messed up on the stuff I've worked so much at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mccabe86 View Post
    Hi!
    So disappointed I messed up on the stuff I've worked so much at.
    Don't be, happens to the best of us. It's easy to loose sight of the big picture when you're fixing things, which is why Sargent for instance said that you should never "fix" a head, if the head is properly drawn/painted the features should just fall into place- moving them around destroys the structure (or the structure was never there to begin with). Of course, we're not Sargent. But try to keep in mind to always work from big to small, general to specific, and zoom out regularily to check proportions and so on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 15